Why become a member? ×

Funny things that people say to you at gigs

Tom Brookes Music

Granny arrives in the middle of the stage, sort of queuing up to talk to us. Tries to attract my attention in the middle of a song, by shouting in my ear while I'm still playing. I thought she must have been from the pub and was telling us to stop as there was a fire or something. We finish the song, I say "wot is it?" and she says:

"Can you play Sweet Home Alabama?"
"We are a punk originals band"
"But it's my favourite song"
"Who's it by anyway?" [size=3][i]** I thought it might be a Rihanna song or something by Beck - but it turns out it's something by some old age pensioners.[/i][/size]
"I don't know, but it's my husband's favourite too"
"No sorry, can you get off the stage"
"Well you don't have to be so rude!"

This type of thing has happened at half of our 7 or 8 gigs so far. Everything from Sex on Fire to One Direction requests. Is it me?

Edited by Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1423645581' post='2687295']
Granny arrives in the middle of the stage, sort of queuing up to talk to us. Tries to attract my attention in the middle of a song, by shouting in my ear while I'm still playing. I thought she must have been from the pub and was telling us to stop as there was a fire or something. We finish the song, I say "wot is it?" and she says:

"Who's it by anyway?" [size=3][i]** I thought it might be a Rihanna song or something by Beck - but it turns out it's something by some old age pensioners.[/i][/size]

This type of thing has happened at half of our 7 or 8 gigs so far. Everything from Sex on Fire to One Direction requests. Is it me?
[/quote]

Old age pensioners? Didn't many of them die in a plane crash while still fairly young?.

[/quote]

You should be a bit more polite to the older generation because that will be you sooner than you think ;)

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1423645581' post='2687295']Everything from Sex on Fire to One Direction requests. Is it me?
[/quote]

Deffo not you :) I think this thread proves attempted mid-song communication is rife.

[size=3][i]it turns out it's something by some old age pensioners.[/i][/size][/quote]

Love it. :lol:

A gig was attended by a 'mate' of mine who plays guitar, but loves himself and his own opinions a little too much.

Whilst talking to him at half time, a punter came up to me and said without sarcasm - 'You are the best Bass player I've ever seen, I can't believe what I've just heard... do you teach?' I thanked him for his kind words and then made my excuses to leave.

While this was embarassing and clearly laughable - It couldn't have happened in front of a better personality.

[/quote]

Lol, made me smile.
Even though Sweet Home is still one of my favourite songs. :D

[/quote]

It`s not you Jenny - in my old punk covers band we kept getting the trendy young things ask for Sex on Fire when it was a big hit. Our singer just used to laugh at them and ask had they heard the rest of the set. Keeping in the punk mode, when they said yes he then just used to tell them to eff off (there`s a way of doing this so people remain relatively pleasant, but I`ve never found out how he does it yet, I`d probably get smacked, `spose it`s cos he`s a cheeky chappie).

The one thing a few people have said to me is they like the way I stare the audience out, but do find it a bit aggressive/confrontational. It really destroys the punk/skinhead image when I tell them I`m just looking at the audience to see if anyone is enjoying what we`re doing - I obviously need to smile on-stage more.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1423655460' post='2687437']

It`s not you Jenny - in my old punk covers band we kept getting the trendy young things ask for Sex on Fire when it was a big hit. Our singer just used to laugh at them and ask had they heard the rest of the set. Keeping in the punk mode, when they said yes he then just used to tell them to eff off (there`s a way of doing this so people remain relatively pleasant, but I`ve never found out how he does it yet, I`d probably get smacked, `spose it`s cos he`s a cheeky chappie).

The one thing a few people have said to me is they like the way I stare the audience out, but do find it a bit aggressive/confrontational. It really destroys the punk/skinhead image when I tell them I`m just looking at the audience to see if anyone is enjoying what we`re doing - I obviously need to smile on-stage more.
[/quote]

You can play anything in punk style.

I played Postman Pat in a band once. It was like Nellie the Elephant. The crowd used to go absolutely mental.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1423661860' post='2687570']
You can play anything in punk style.

I played Postman Pat in a band once. It was like Nellie the Elephant. The crowd used to go absolutely mental.
[/quote]

Check out the Dead Kennedy's covers of Viva Las Vegas and Rawhide, excellent stuff.

At a private function. A 40th anniversary.

A granny comes up to the stage towing her 10 year old grandson. She says that he want's to play the drums. I /we suggest that in the middle of the set is not a good idea, maybe at the end.

She gets somewhat miffed and proclaims. "I'm the person who is paying for this party, if he doesn't play now you don't get paid."

Couldn't argue with that.

He was OK for his age and got a standing ovation from his family and freinds.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1423668766' post='2687715']
"Hawkwind!"

A great bass heckle on a gig a few months back accompanied by a knowing look. I have no idea why he shouted this at me, but I got the impression it was a good thing.
[/quote]

acid flashback probably ;-)

Played an entertaining-but-scrappy free gig in a boozer in Camden with my old band. Your standard Thursday night, 4-noisy-bands-on-a-bill type of thing.

Random bloke comes up to me afterwards and said that he was glad that he came to this show instead of going to Iron Maiden who were playing the same night. He must have been mad but I did get a pint out of it!

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1423667218' post='2687693']

A granny comes up to the stage towing her 10 year old grandson. She says that he want's to play the drums. I /we suggest that in the middle of the set is not a good idea, maybe at the end.

She gets somewhat miffed and proclaims. "I'm the person who is paying for this party, if he doesn't play now you don't get paid."

[/quote]

That's very rude IMHO, but just betrays the view people have of bands - performing monkeys. I suppose the alternative retort would be "Fair enough - If we are not getting paid, we'll pack up now."

Another good reason for getting paid in advance, or at least a good non refundable 'booking fee'. Easier said than done though I appreciate.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1423667218' post='2687693']

[/quote]
Cheeky cow. I wonder what she would have said if the drummer had demanded to drive her car?

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1423916494' post='2690317']
After our first set at a pub gig a fortnight ago, I slightly tipsy female came over and complimented me on two songs which weren't - and never have been - on our set list.
[/quote]

I've had arguments with people who come up and say can you play such and such, I say we don't do that mate, then they have said , yes you do I heard you do it last week. I'm like, we weren't playing here last week, yes you were! No we weren't! Then I'm like, how do you argue with this?

That has to be one of the universal pet hates of musicians, when someone comes up to you (often while you’re playing – even worse) to ask if you can play a particular song. As if you have the world's entire back catalogue of music to pick from, unrehearsed.

The ‘people coming up to you onstage’ thing just reminded me of a cracker from late last year when we did a 70s theme night. We included an ABBA number – at the end of it a woman came up to our vocalist and shouted “I hate ABBA!!”

Our band had just finished the first set and went off stage at a function gig. The disco came on and I thought I'd have a quick check on my tuning before going off to the loo etc. Some 30+ year old woman came up to me and asked me if I could turn up as she couldn't hear me. Confused as we had a sound engineer, I said I'd feed this back to him. Thinking wowzer someone actually listens to me and I get to turn up, then the penny suddenly dropped.......she thought I was the DJ, (despite having my bass still strapped on!) ............punters, you gotta love 'em!