Why become a member? ×

Funny things that people say to you at gigs

Tom Brookes Music

We played a gig at a rather rough pub in Corby one time.....part way through the set this huge tattooed, skinhead Scotsman staggered over and hollowed Coldplay.....then in a really effeminate high pitched voice sang the words "Fix You" then wandered off out of the pub and never came back!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1422811471' post='2677033']
We were watched by an ex-roadie of Jimi Hendrix the other week.
[/quote]

It wasn't Lemmy was it? :lol:

Best one I had a few months back from a punter, whilst stood in front of drum kit having a shandy in the interval, was 'Does the band pay you to look after their gear when they are on a break or the venue?'

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422817396' post='2677159']
I usually get people talking to me whilst I'm not only playing, but singing!
[/quote]

+1

I've had (whilst singing and playing) "Excuse me mate, have you got a pen"? :blink:

The most bizarre question though was "Can we play From Russia with love by Mat Monroe"? Bearing in mind we were called Van Helsing and had just finished the 1st set with a Def Leppard number, it was unlikely :lol:

Had really drunk guy shouting for a song by The Doors all night. As it was a folky gig we just ignored him until he was making such a pain of himself we obliged, dedicating the next song to him.
As we launched into Love Me Two Times, pissed bloke surprised us by launching into a frenzy of abuse, properly kicking off shouting Not The Doors, The Fa**ing DOORS!!!
it was only when he got up really close shouting (spraying) at us through no teeth that we realised he meant The Corrs.

I was told that I was the best lead guitarist that had ever played at the club we were playing. He went on to tell me how much better than Eric Clapton I was. I was playing cheesey covers on a five string Spector.

There was no way he got me mixed up with the guitarist, he had a beard and hair, I have neither!

Not at gigs, but every workman that comes into my house ever says "Is your husband a bass guitar player" (or sometimes just guitarist), me "no"... "Son?"... "no" cue quizzical look from said workman, followed by me clarifying "I'm a bassist" followed by shock, sometimes with apologies ;)

I do get asked out at more gigs than I don't, for some unknown reason as I'm hardly a hottie! It would seem that men find a female bassist quite an alluring concept. I always reply that I am flattered but happily married.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1422826559' post='2677308']

I do get asked out at more gigs than I don't, for some unknown reason as I'm hardly a hottie! It would seem that men find a female bassist quite an alluring concept. I always reply that I am flattered but happily married.
[/quote]

I was going to make a crude joke about the allure of women with bassplayer's hand strength, but maybe not...

Anyway one of the most memorable for me was when a youngish chap came up and said 'my dad would really love your music'. I know he meant well, but it was a bit deflating!