Why become a member? ×

Mooer bass pedals

Black Coffee

I have the bass eq and fog fuzz.
Loving the eq- the frequency centres are really good. Volume control is transparent and lights when engaged. I always thought that was a cool feature 😉
The fog is good, and does the 'time is running out' sound pretty well.
I tried the thunderball and really wanted to like it, but it did nothing for me. It's allegedly a clone of the ehx bass blogger.

Generally found them to be good and worth the money.
Really like the Lofi Machine, good sound for what I wanted and worked well with bass. Found the Electric Lady (Electric Mistress clone I think) to be a bit over the top, not a very subtle sound compared with other flangers that I've used, but depends what you like I guess.
The only one I tried that I really didn't think had anything going for it was the Bass Sweeper, (clone of some envelope filter, forget which one though). I thought it lacked any sort of oomph and was very dull sounding, couldn't get anything interesting out of it.
On the whole though the pedals do seem to be worth trying out considering the price and the size.

I tried the Sweeper I think, an envelope filter with fuzz anyway. Quite liked the sound but it was quite noisy with a loud earth hum. Tried it in the noise of the London a Bass Show and it sounded good but too noisy for quieter or studio use.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1422708155' post='2675854']
I've used the Ana Echo and its a really nice analog delay pedal. Worked really nicely with my E-C 5 string range. My only issue is that it lacked any character but sometimes that a positive thing and for £50 it's worth every penny!
[/quote]

+1, I like that pedal. Took a punt on it for £20 quid second hand on eBay and can't argue with it. Useful for weird space-y sounds and long feedback!

...and on that note, just picked up a Shimverb for £40 off ebay. Got a tiny bit of room on my board for it to slot in, so it's worth a go. I run both my bass and synth through my board so I'm looking forward to trying out the Mooer pedals together for some spaced out sounds. A dirty synth bass sound through an SYB-3, EHX Pulsar, Mooer delay + reverb certainly sounds promising.

Got the sweeper.

Impressed. More so than with the bassballs I had for a few days.

It doesn't dip in volume like the BB when engaged, and there's much more adjustment to be had.

It's had Velcro tape put on the bottom, so it's staying. Does the job I need it to and to my mind, offers much more than the nano bassballs.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1423527458' post='2686075']
Got the sweeper.

Impressed. More so than with the bassballs I had for a few days.

It doesn't dip in volume like the BB when engaged, and there's much more adjustment to be had.

It's had Velcro tape put on the bottom, so it's staying. Does the job I need it to and to my mind, offers much more than the nano bassballs.
[/quote]

Did you notice any hum with it? Not sure if the one I tried was just a dodgy one/ the shop mains was noisy.

Anyone else clocked the upcoming Mooer Shimverb Pro?

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_shimverb_pro_digital_reverb.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_shimverb_pro_digital_reverb.htm[/url]

With lo and high cut on the reverb signal as well as lots of other tweekability looks interesting for bass.

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1423759447' post='2688745']
I love my Shimverb for those more subtle moments. The shimmer mode is pretty unique by my knowledge and is great.
[/quote]

Shimmer is on quite a few reverb pedals. Strymon Bluesky, Line6 Verbzilla, a couple from Neunaber. There are others too.

For my money, the shimmer on the shimverb was unusably crap :lol:

The normal sounds on it were pretty decent though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the green mile overdrive and cruncher distortion. The green mile is the pedal I have been searching for since I started using effects. A very subtle overdrive. It sounds like preamp tubes being pushed hard. It has two settings warm and hot. Warm cuts all the bass but hot seems to add bass.

The cruncher is a high gain distortion similar to a bass big muff but the break up sounds much tighter. It's less fuzzy. It doesn't cut bass either.

I tried both along with a bass tubescreamer. The ts sucked. It sounded like it was in a box. And it didn't seem to get any more distorted when I turned the gain up.

For the price you can't beat the Mooer pedals.

I got Ensemble King chorus, really like that one, cool with slap and for some fingerstyle solo action too. I had FOG fuzz too, but I sold it here, it is quite heavy fuzz and I just don't play anything that needs it.
I am thinking about getting lo-fi thing, I wanted a Moog ring modulator for ages but it is a bit too pricey for my wallet and youtube vids of Mooer stuff sounds pretty good.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1423760780' post='2688764']

For my money, the shimmer on the shimverb was unusably crap :lol:

The normal sounds on it were pretty decent though :)
[/quote]

This, really.

I had a Shimverb and an Ensemble chorus a couple of years back when they first appeared: the reverb side of the shimverb was good, though with high frequency artifacts, but the shimmer could be really off key. Wish I'd kept it for the ordinary reverb though. The chorus was OK, but was too lush and lacked transparency for my preferences. I also bought an Elec Lady, and it's pretty good as flangers go, but won't go quite as deeply effected as my Boss FL2.

There's a whole bunch of pedals out there now with the same circuits, all cheaper than Mooer: Donner, Rowin, Aroma, Eno and Movall. I have a bunch of Eno pedals on my board (ES9, OCD clone and M-Audio crunchbox clone) and they're all great. I've just found a vendor selling the Eno version of the Trelicopter and have ordered that - £20 - and would quite like a version of the Ana Echo, though I don't need it. The Rowin versions look very attractive and they seem to be internally the same as Mooer, even down to sometimes putting Mooer instructions in the box according to Sibob.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1424806823' post='2700706']
I had a Shimverb and an Ensemble chorus a couple of years back when they first appeared: the reverb side of the shimverb was good, though with high frequency artifacts, but the shimmer could be really off key.
[/quote]

The problem with the shimmer is that for some reason they set the pitch to a fifth and not an octave. So chordal stuff would sound pretty nasty pretty quickly.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1424816298' post='2700896']
The problem with the shimmer is that for some reason they set the pitch to a fifth and not an octave. So chordal stuff would sound pretty nasty pretty quickly.
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I recall too, and agree about the price to a degree - they might have got away with £35-£40 but not £45-£60. Which is curious, because we'd happily spend a lot more on a pedal from someone else that sounds good, and if these don't sound good to us then why are we using them? You've got me wondering now if I should try to shoehorn the Jekyll and Hyde back on my board. :P

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1424861395' post='2701191']
Yes, that's what I recall too, and agree about the price to a degree - they might have got away with £35-£40 but not £45-£60. Which is curious, because we'd happily spend a lot more on a pedal from someone else that sounds good, and if these don't sound good to us then why are we using them? You've got me wondering now if I should try to shoehorn the Jekyll and Hyde back on my board. :P
[/quote]

The Mooers I've tried have all *sounded* alright, my negativity towards the pricing is more based on ethics and a question over their quality.

At £50 you can generally (there are exceptions) buy a second hand version of whatever it is they've ripped off. For instance, unless you're desperate for board space I'd rather buy a real RAT than their copy, especially because I know the Proco Pedal is bombproof whilst the longevity of these Mooers is still to be determined. Similarly, I'd rather buy a real Boss DS-1 or SD-1 or whatever it is than get the Mooer version.

Some of the Mooer pedals are great buys, but lots of them aren't attractive enough to me to warrant buying them over the "real thing" for similar money. Buying them second hand they become more of a realistic prospect but *someone* out there must be buying them new.