Why become a member? ×

POLL!

Skol303

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422925597' post='2678577']

You're not going to feel comfy if I come knocking on your door either, then..!
Seriously though, if it could be of any help, ask away any darned thing, either in the 'Recording' forum or by PM and I'm pretty sure that if a numpty such as myself can do the simple stuff I do, you can do at least as well (and very probably better..!). No, this is not false modesty. The difficult thing, as with learning to swim, is getting into the water. It's much more difficult to learn on dry land. Your call, of course, as always...
([i]On reading this back, I realise that It could be read as having to be in water to record stuff. Sorry, that's just how the phrase turned out, and is not the case. Recording can be learnt on dry land[/i]...)
[/quote]
I have recorded two things over the years, neither of which I actually finished. One was in around 2000 and was a techno type thing with heavy guitars. The sound quality was dire. The second was a couple of years ago and was a cover of a White Stripes track. I uploaded that to Soundcloud and posted it in a thread on here. People were nice about it, but someone asked me about panning, because I had everything straight down the middle. I hadn't even given it any thought (except for one effect during the track), I didn't really know that you were supposed to do that sort of thing. I tried looking up advice on what and how much to have on what side, and couldn't find anything. I haven't tried since.

Also, I don't really know how drums work and I can't sing.

https://soundcloud.com/user5139486/kingbollock-blue-orchid-5a

I just found another chap on Soundcloud calling himself King Bollock! Cheeky bugger.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422928023' post='2678586']

So now you're a pair of bollocks! :D

...Ahem. :blush:
[/quote]
There are a couple of others knocking about, too. Someone took it for their Ebay account back in the early naughties, and there's a gamer kiddy who probably wasn't born when I became KingBollock in 1997. Unimaginative twats. A couple of forums I have been a member of were associated with magazines (PC gaming and music magazines) and I got mentioned in them for stuff I had said on the forums. And I once stumbled across a site that had a list of the best forum usernames ever, and I had come third. That sort of thing probably doesn't help.

Actually, I recently tried to register it with Steam and found not just the gamer kiddy I already knew of, but someone had KingBollocks as well. I, rather snottily, went with KingBollockTheOriginal. In case you hadn't guessed, I'm a bit precious about it.

Well, I've given it a listen, and all I can say is... "When are you next coming to France, to give [i]me [/i]lessons..?" There's nowt wrong with that at all (Usual disclaimer: I'm old and deaf, so...).
The first Beatles albums were mono. Stereo panning is, anyway, all so 'yesterday'. You yourself were hankering after Surround Sound, or 7-1, or whatever is coming up next..! Rule N° 1 of recording oneself: there are no rules. Yes, there are guidelines, so as to do as the 'big guns' do, but if it's OK for you, it's OK. I'd put 'panning' under the heading of 'mixing', myself (You see..? Snob that I am..!), and there are very many fine sites on how to mix. We even have, on occasion, mixing challenges on this very site, and there's lots of advice and leads in the Recording section on the subject.
No, Sir (Oh, sorry... Your Majesty...), you're not lagging behind; simply too modest and unwilling to reveal your talents. OK, then; keep 'em to yourself, see if we care..! I shan't encourage you further, patronising is not my speciality. You're doing fine, old chum.
If we can help, just raise the questions; we'll do our best to answer them, but you've nothing to be ashamed of, as far as I can tell (although see disclaimer above...).

KingBollock's posts exactly illustrate the point I was making earlier.

It's called the [b]COMPOSITION[/b] Challenge, and yet he (and probably many others) are hung up on the recording aspect.

And please don't ask us to make a video. Get the audio sorted is time consuming enough. I definitely wouldn't be entering again if some sort of visual element was required as well.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422953765' post='2678678']

It's called the [b]COMPOSITION[/b] Challenge, and yet he (and probably many others) are hung up on the recording aspect.

And please don't ask us to make a video. Get the audio sorted is time consuming enough. I definitely wouldn't be entering again if some sort of visual element was required as well.
[/quote]

chicken and egg though on that , we could all submit manuscripts , but then only a few can read them !!

Video is not good with me TBH , but I only learned the recording process by persevering with challenge each month.

[/quote]

Spot on.

[/quote]
I get your point but it's a bit like there'd be no point in me trying to reply to your post if I didn't know how to type. I own a keyboard and all the equipment to write a post, but if I just mashed the keyboard with my face (which, granted, it sometimes looks as though that is exactly what I'm doing) then I won't be able to express what I am trying to say in any meaningful way.

I could have brilliant ideas for songs, but unless I know how to record them, no one else is ever going to hear thaem.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1423010629' post='2679662']

I get your point but it's a bit like there'd be no point in me trying to reply to your post if I didn't know how to type. I own a keyboard and all the equipment to write a post, but if I just mashed the keyboard with my face (which, granted, it sometimes looks as though that is exactly what I'm doing) then I won't be able to express what I am trying to say in any meaningful way.

I could have brilliant ideas for songs, but unless I know how to record them, no one else is ever going to hear thaem.
[/quote]

I think the point that is being made is that the composition is supposedly the important thing, yet a lot of the feedback you see given to peoples songs is largely talking about how it was recorded, not about the song itself.
If the important thing is the compositional aspect then this can be demonstrated by nothing more than a guitar or keyboard & a vocal, it doesn't need to have loads of tracks with all manner of bells & whistles on them. In that respect the monthly challenge does seem to me to me more about the recording process & less about the song.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423035079' post='2679721']

I think the point that is being made is that the composition is supposedly the important thing, yet a lot of the feedback you see given to peoples songs is largely talking about how it was recorded, not about the song itself.
If the important thing is the compositional aspect then this can be demonstrated by nothing more than a guitar or keyboard & a vocal, it doesn't need to have loads of tracks with all manner of bells & whistles on them. In that respect the monthly challenge does seem to me to me more about the recording process & less about the song.
[/quote]
Furry muff. I do understand where you're coming from. In fact I haven't actually voted in this poll because I am aware that I am coming at it from the wrong angle and that my view is largely irrelevant.

Perhaps I am hoping a decent recording might make up for my poor compositional skills? Though I would imagine it would make them all the more glaring.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1423010807' post='2679664']

time 2 learn.
[/quote]
Indeed. In fact I am going to have a crack at something today. Not for the composition competition, just a cover of a track that only has drums, bass and a couple of guitars in it, with no guitar solo. And it's a song that I play along to regularly anyway. We'll see.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1423040648' post='2679782']

Perhaps I am hoping a decent recording might make up for my poor compositional skills? Though I would imagine it would make them all the more glaring.
[/quote]

I always roll my "compositions" in a large amount of hifi glitter in the hope that nobody will notice the many shortcomings!
Still, I see the whole point is to produce something you yourself like - if other people like it and even vote for it, all the better.

Some good points above about the difference between "composing" and "recording".

I think it's an issue of semantics... and to be honest, the word "composition" probably isn't the best choice for the monthly challenge - I've often considered simplifying it to "New Music Challenge", but for tradition's sake the word composition has stuck :)

You [i]do[/i] need at east some basic skills in recording and producing music to take part. But you don't need to be an expert. We've had people submit YouTube videos of themselves playing 'live' with a looper pedal (CamdenRob submitted some great entries using this method!), and all that took was being able to operate a mobile phone and upload the result to YouTube. No recording skills required.

And it's not always the most 'produced' tracks that get the votes. I'm as guilty as anyone for geeking around with production - it's what I enjoy doing, even moreso than playing bass - but we've had numerous winners who've 'just' written great material. I say 'just', because a good composition generally translates well, no mater how well it's been recorded (I have plenty of old Jamaican ska records that are terribly produced, but still sound "great").

But whatever.

The challenge isn't just about composition and it's not just about recording. It's a blend of different skills and we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. People tend to discuss the recording aspect a little more than playing and composing because for a lot of people (myself included), it's the piece of the jigsaw that often has the steepest learning curve. It's the skill that allows you to take the tune you have playing in your head and make it real.

So let's not get hung up on the word "composition". I've always thought it to be a little too grandiose myself. I'm certainly not a composer. But I occasionally write a catchy tune ;)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1423065552' post='2680245']
I always roll my "compositions" in a large amount of hifi glitter...
[/quote]

I know you are of an age that you will be familiar with the old saying, 'you can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter'... :D
Not that I'm implying your compositions are turds, obviously - quite the opposite is true, in fact...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423072997' post='2680377']
I know you are of an age that you will be familiar with the old saying, 'you can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter'... :D
Not that I'm implying your compositions are turds, obviously - quite the opposite is true, in fact...
[/quote]

Obviously. :mellow:

:lol: :P

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1423065552' post='2680245']
I always roll my "compositions" in a large amount of hifi glitter in the hope that nobody will notice the many shortcomings!
Still, I see the whole point is to produce something you yourself like - if other people like it and even vote for it, all the better.
[/quote]

Amen brother :lol:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1423072789' post='2680371']
Some good points above about the difference between "composing" and "recording".

I think it's an issue of semantics... and to be honest, the word "composition" probably isn't the best choice for the monthly challenge - I've often considered simplifying it to "New Music Challenge", but for tradition's sake the word composition has stuck :).................

So let's not get hung up on the word "composition". I've always thought it to be a little too grandiose myself. I'm certainly not a composer. But I occasionally write a catchy tune ;)
[/quote]

and let us not forget Spacechick read a poem/ short story that she had written on month , so the term is well open to interpretation .

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423035079' post='2679721']
[/quote]
I kind of understand , but , here's the rub , you can make that judgement every month , based on this very criteria ;)

Maybe the title should be changed to something anodin, not laden with pre-established meaning..? I could suggest 'The Great Basschat Batter Pudding Challenge'. Would that help..? I don't think vegans would object to that, but someone might. Maybe post a poll looking for a new title..? :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423091682' post='2680796']
That's just given me a headache. :mellow:
[/quote]

Sorry, please read 'bland', 'inoffensive', 'innocent' or similar.

I wonder why they chose that trademark, anyway..? "[i]Splitting blinder..? Take Bland, that'll clear it. Not for children under 10[/i]...". Hmm...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423092182' post='2680814']

Sorry, please read 'bland', 'inoffensive', 'innocent' or similar.

I wonder why they chose that trademark, anyway..? "[i]Splitting blinder..? Take Bland, that'll clear it. Not for children under 10[/i]...". Hmm...
[/quote]
I take it you mean the company Anadin? It's probably from the word Anodyne. Which is what I assume you were trying to spell.

"In medicine before the 20th century, an anodyne was a drug that was believed to relieve or soothe pain by lessening the sensitivity of the brain or nervous system (Greek ἀνώδυνος anōdynos < ἀν- an- 'without' + ὀδύνη odynē 'pain'). It was essentially an analgesic."
[i]Source Wikipedia[/i]

I knew the word anodyne, but was unaware of it's link to medicine. Always something new to learn on BassChat!