Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Update - I got myself one!

thebrig

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1423307976' post='2683290']
T-Birds are just cool.....nice one! I really fancy a non reverse body, anyone tried one?
[/quote]

I have one in Pelham blue, and I enjoy playing it very much. Chunkier neck than on a reverse Thunderbird, which suits me fine. Doesn't look like anything else, also a plus in my opinion ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1423330492' post='2683659']

I have one in Pelham blue, and I enjoy playing it very much. Chunkier neck than on a reverse Thunderbird, which suits me fine. Doesn't look like anything else, also a plus in my opinion ;)
[/quote]

Would love to give one a try.....Macari's in London have two in their window but at around £1000 its a big buy that needs a good test drive and some thought.....but non reverse and Pelham Blue is a great colour.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1423331006' post='2683666']

Would love to give one a try.....Macari's in London have two in their window but at around £1000 its a big buy that needs a good test drive and some thought.....but non reverse and Pelham Blue is a great colour.

I think PMT have a couple, they're website will say which branches:)
[/quote]

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1423331006' post='2683666']
[/quote]

Well, if our paths should ever cross, you're welcome to try mine. I'll have it with me at the Moffat Bass Bash in March if that's any help ;)

As for which strap to use, best to try a few different widths and materials.

My '91 G is best with a relatively thin webbing strap, whereas the Classic Pro (which seems to me to be considerably heavier) needs a wider padded leather one if I don't want a rut in my shoulder. I don't feel entirely comfortable with either on the active Pro IV!

Certainly when I take off the Classic and put the Gibson back on it feels like it's made of balsa wood.

I use a long Comfort Strapp [size=2][sup]TM[/sup][/size] (big slab of neoprene with elasticated strap over the top) with mine and never had any problems. I use the same type of strap on all my basses, but have one dedicated to the T bird, as the Schaller lock needs to be installed t'other way round to normal on the neck end.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1422379150' post='2671919']
I got myself a Comfort Strapp which does help a bit, I will use it every day at home for a week or two, and will then start using at gigs and rehearsals.
[/quote]

A big +1 for the Comfort Strapp padded pro bass strap! I now use them on my Warwick and the Precision when playing live. What a difference!!! :-)

• 1 month later...

Just invested in a epiphone pro 5 ....love the sound and feel ...how do you deal with neck dive ..I've noticed my front strap fitting is on the top horn ?though I see a lot come on the back centre of neck ..does this cure the problem ,would be good to know as I donr want to drill a new fixing on the back if if doesn't mske any diffrence ...

Later ones come with the fixing on the back of the neck. It should help neck dive, but the bass may tilt away from you a bit. You can counter this by letting your strap at the bridge end ride across the front of the bass. Not pretty but it works.

I saw something on You Tube where some guy passed his strap behing the belt on his trousers and it 'solved' whatever issues he was having with whatever lug position, tilt and dive issues that he was apparently experiencing.

Personally (and repeating what I've posted at length elsewhere), I've never considered these petty arguments about neck dive to be anything more than hot air. Never had a problem...you see I play with two hands.