Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Not much help but I assume they changed suppliers. My Jake 5p came with Maruszczyk Nickel strings and I liked them so bought a few more packs, these were all unsilked as you describe. I ordered more when they ran out, a year or so later and the new ones came with red silk, and a slightly rougher feel. I carried on using them though, as they sound fine,  last well enough, and they're inexpensive... But they're definitely different strings to the original ones.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad it is not just me. My sensitive guitarists fingers can definitely feel the difference between them, the Ernie Ball are a bit smoother than the red silken Maruszczyk but not as smooth as the original set. I presumed they had changed suppliers as well. I may well go back to the silken Maruszczyk as I did buy a couple of sets, imagining that is all I would use. But I am willing to try a few other makes if they are not too expensive. Funny thing is I noticed that all the photos of current Cazpars for sale on the Maruszczyk website all have unsilked strings on.

I think the instruments are actually built by Mensinger and they probably put the strings on, they don't list strings for sale on their website however, but may be able to supply or tell you what they are

Edited by Aidan63
spelling

Maruszczyk = Mensinger

The Cazpar is a shortscale bass, maybe their shortscale strings come from a different supplier? I see they sell both longscale and shortscale strings under their own brand, but who knows where they're made. 

31 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I think the instruments are actually built by Mensinger and they probably put the strings on, they don't list strings for sale on their website however, but may be able to supply or tell you what they are

When I bought the bass I wrote to Adrian at Marusczcyk and asked what strings were on it and he said Maruszczyk short scale (45 65 85 105) but it was over a year later that I bought some spares and it is looking like in that time they changed supplier. I did write again after I bought the packs of strings and asked Adrian if they had changed supplier but he did not comment, only that when they run out of their "own" strings they use other makes.

Presuming that their older strings were made by one of the major companies I was hoping that by process of elimination I would find the same strings but who knows, I might just waste a lot of money and should just stick to their latest strings:-)

Edited by Stephen N
word missed out

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Generally when I had a Cazpar, I just used newtone strings, especially as it is hard to get 5 string short scale strings.

But mine was used so not stock, so i don't know what the originals are.

I hadn't thought of trying Newtone for short scale bass strings. I use their acoustic strings on my Martin acoustic guitar.

Guest gazzatriumph

Thanks for the replies, Adrian always replies to emails quickly, and his basses look great and from the youtube clips I've watched sound great too.

The four month wait is going to drag, like waiting for Christmas as a kid.

I'm currently waiting on these 2 short scale builds.

30" Cazpar:  Swamp Ash natural matte finish, roasted flame Maple 3 piece neck with chosen White Ebony fb, Nordstrand Zen blades with Delano sonar 2 pre and Hipshot hardware, I have this set of custom White Ebony knobs waiting for it also.

Cazpar-4-with-Nordstrand.thumb.png.918e684c092aa916c318f5f7f12a0352.png

328178518_WE527.thumb.jpg.1bc4479154576a2e6ef48a898f9ca675.jpg

icm_fullxfull.416113065_2gk4hxtqgrdws084cccc.thumb.jpg.33aad50b4e479cc189b351cb22c28176.jpg

30" Elwood L:  Alder body with this chosen unique looking Spalted Maple top & headstock, roasted maple neck with Wenge fb, Delano Xtender humbucker ( to be placed in sweet spot), Noll TCM3 preamp & Hipshot mini clover tuners.

1361955723_ElwoodLWenge-Clover.thumb.png.70b02549bdfe3d1e7a99f6ac3366594a.png

SPM60.thumb.jpg.a7e4637dd9ec78b562681db63c9d1976.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read about a few, because they work the opposite way to normal. Not had a problem with mine though, although it once happened to a Warwick I had.

Edited by NickD

Guest gazzatriumph

They turn the opposite way to normal,keep us updated, I'm waiting on a new custom one.

Edited by gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph
On 03/05/2022 at 18:19, evan47 said:

any one had a problem with their truss rod? 

Mine has just snapped.

Never in over 35 years of playing has this happened to me until now.

I'm wondering if the previous owner had broke it turning it the wrong way.

I've heard similar stories, where the truss rod snapped because it had LOADS of wood glue residue in the thread and wouldn't move. There was a photo gallery on the website of Unicorn Basses from Sweden where they documented a neck recovery to replace the truss rod, add carbon rods and replace the fingerboard of a very expensive Frog 5 with a snapped truss rod. It looked terrible underneath. The gallery has recently been taken down, I wonder if Adrian contacted them. 

• Sad 1

Well, it no is no worse than before adjustment.

Gonna try a lighter gauge set of strings and then decide weather to have the rod replaced or not.

What bothers me most is the fact that Marusczyk won't repair it, they will only change the neck (at my cost).

My bass is a special with the headstock wood grain matching the body and PUP covers, it is unlikely they will be able to give a convincing match.

The guy I bought it from won't respond to messages, surprise surprise.

• Sad 1

Guest gazzatriumph
2 hours ago, evan47 said:

Well, it no is no worse than before adjustment.

Gonna try a lighter gauge set of strings and then decide weather to have the rod replaced or not.

What bothers me most is the fact that Marusczyk won't repair it, they will only change the neck (at my cost).

My bass is a special with the headstock wood grain matching the body and PUP covers, it is unlikely they will be able to give a convincing match.

The guy I bought it from won't respond to messages, surprise surprise.

Its probably cheaper to change it than to repair it.  How old is the bass, and as you are not the first owner im not suprised they will charge you.  I reckon the previous owner could have broke it and moved it on

Edited by gazzatriumph

Do you know what the cost is? I think if it was me I would ask Andyjr1515 to do it, or one of the others around here that can

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Do you know what the cost is? I think if it was me I would ask Andyjr1515 to do it, or one of the others around here that can

^^^^ This, all day long.

Guest gazzatriumph
4 minutes ago, evan47 said:

Yes, I have been in touch with Andy and he has very kindly offered to help.

Let us know his findings if you could.

19 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

Its probably cheaper to change it than to repair it.  How old is the bass, and as you are not the first owner im not suprised they will charge you.  I reckon the previous owner could have broke it and moved it on

indeed , warranties are close to never transferred to next owner. No brand will cover an instrument bought on used market. 

Actually, they didn't even bother to ask if I was the first owner or if it was under warranty.

They simply stated that they were too busy to do repairs but would fit a new neck.

It is surprising that a bolt on neck has to be individually fitted by them and is not interchangeable

Such a shame as it is a beautiful instrument.

• Like 1

Guest gazzatriumph
1 hour ago, evan47 said:

Actually, they didn't even bother to ask if I was the first owner or if it was under warranty.

They simply stated that they were too busy to do repairs but would fit a new neck.

It is surprising that a bolt on neck has to be individually fitted by them and is not interchangeable

Hopefully you will get it sorted.

FWIW this isn't a new policy from them. I enquired about buying a new neck for one of mine (for cosmetic reasons) and he wouldn't entertain the idea unless I sent the whole thing back to him.