Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

On 04/03/2020 at 14:16, bassmansam said:

Was it the standard strap screws you replaced? Think it's worth me upgrading these to one if the lock systems options? 

Yes. I had the same problem with my custom Elwood due to a combination of cheesy strap-button screws and the fact that they had been fitted at a ridiculous angle (one around 20 degrees, the other around 30 degrees off perpendicular).  The result was that, when fitted/tightened in the M workshops, the screws had bent at the body surface, where they were forced perpendicular as the screw head was tightened into the strap-button indent.  The extreme dog-leg shape of the screw fixing the bottom button meant it broke as soon as I tried to remove it for a strap-lock upgrade. Luckily I did this before gigging the bass as there's every chance the screw would have broken while playing.  Getting the remains of it out of the wood was a tricky job.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2020 at 14:16, bassmansam said:

Was it the standard strap screws you replaced? Think it's worth me upgrading these to one if the lock systems options? 

Yes, I think they are made of cheese, the cheapest of the cheap - replace those as soon as you can. I didn't actually have an question as to whether I would upgrade mine as I went to put strap locks on the bass, but trying to undo the screw to get the old one off it broke and left half the screw in the body. Luckily I had a friend who managed to get the old bit out and redo the hole, so while I was there I updated the rest of the screws.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, I think they are made of cheese, the cheapest of the cheap - replace those as soon as you can. I didn't actually have an question as to whether I would upgrade mine as I went to put strap locks on the bass, but trying to undo the screw to get the old one off it broke and left half the screw in the body. Luckily I had a friend who managed to get the old bit out and redo the hole, so while I was there I updated the rest of the screws.

Thanks. He has the options to upgrade to security locks for £30. Might be worth me doing it. 

I got straplocks on my Jake and they were fitted fine, but I noticed over time that they stuck more than my others. I checked them out and they are fake Schallers, I had to replace the strap ends and then everything worked okay. You can see the difference as the real thing has the writing on the instrument side of the strap bits, if you see what I mean. You could see they weren't quite the right shape either. Shame on a bass which is otherwise just excellent 

1 hour ago, bassmansam said:

Thanks. He has the options to upgrade to security locks for £30. Might be worth me doing it. 

No, get the cheapest and then as soon as you get it, replace them with good quality screws and hardware. But be careful unscrewing them

• Like 1

I had the same issues with screws in mine about 2 years ago. I had to send the neck back because they had forgotten to fit the luminlay dots but the neck screws were so cheap that three of them sheared off and two of those were in at wonky angles. 

Ultimately the whole bass was returned because the list of faults was extensive. 

I must stress that Adrian was very good about it and after he inspected the bass he refunded me in full and gave me a little extra as an apology. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bassmansam said:

Out of interest what specs did you guys order with your custom Maruszczyk? 

Worth upgrading anything like Bridge/Tuning Pegs or leave as standard? 

I went Hipshot for bridge and tuners. The stock stuff is probably fine, but I like Hipshot.

1 hour ago, bassmansam said:

Out of interest what specs did you guys order with your custom Maruszczyk? 

Worth upgrading anything like Bridge/Tuning Pegs or leave as standard? 

I had to upgrade my tuning pegs to hipshot ultralights. The body is chambered, so very light, and it is a 5 string so wanted to reduce the potential for neck dive (there isn't any). My bridge options were limited as I was getting quite tight spacing. And I also like hipshots as I had them on the Ibanez that I was basically copying the dimensions from

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

I had the same issues with screws in mine about 2 years ago. I had to send the neck back because they had forgotten to fit the luminlay dots but the neck screws were so cheap that three of them sheared off and two of those were in at wonky angles. 

Yes, I remember that.

I told him about the strap lock breaking, and got a sort of 'well that happens' sort of response.

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

told him about the strap lock breaking, and got a sort of 'well that happens' sort of response.

Except that literally defeats the purpose of installing strap locks in the first place. Slightly worrying!

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I told him about the strap lock breaking, and got a sort of 'well that happens' sort of response.

That's pretty poor. That's definitely not what should happen with any instrument let alone one at this price point. 

18 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

That's pretty poor. That's definitely not what should happen with any instrument let alone one at this price point. 

True, I wouldn't have accepted it on a budget ibanez, but then I know it wouldn't have happened. It tarnished the bass for me for a while. Over time we made up though, and it is otherwise a lovely instrument!

On 05/03/2020 at 13:11, wateroftyne said:

Ooof.. thank you. I'm kinda torn between Charcoal and silver. Amongst other things.

327915882_JakeC(9).thumb.jpg.680d4f0792b48907538c917de91ed83b.jpg

Ok. My opinion has shifted. Just watched this video and seen the charcoal + tort combo on a “real” bass. It looks amazing to be fair!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...