Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

I fancied a bit of a change scratchplate wise and rather than splash out £40 or so on a custom p/g, I thought I'd give 'making' one myself by placing a thin tort one behind the existing clear one. I'm very pleased with the result and it only cost me £12.50. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XPP9ZJ3/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1 

P1020154 2.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

It's sticky backed so could also fit over the top of an opaque one.

That is a gorgeous bass dude, looks classy with the tort too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

Ah, the musician’s lament. Been there, regretted that. Yet I still think, “Hmm, not really playing that, it needs to go.”

I haven't really had it with any of the other basses I've sold, but that Jake was pretty special.

To be fair though, I do know why I sold it. Needed the money to pay for my new Stingray!

6 minutes ago, colleya said:

I haven't really had it with any of the other basses I've sold, but that Jake was pretty special.

To be fair though, I do know why I sold it. Needed the money to pay for my new Stingray!

Most of my regrets are guitar based TBH, as the basses I have sold, have been moved on for solid reasons. My custom Elwoods are probably forever basses, the Jake, erm, probably not so much, but I need to not make a snap decision on that just yet. My only other bass is a Rob Allen MB2 5 string, which, unless I can source a 4 string version, is also another forever bass (Lady Ez has instructed me that that bass is not sale, but...).

• 1 month later...

Help Please 

So I've decided on my custom Elwood C. What do you think? 😎

Question is...How do I decide on pickups/preamp?

I think I'd prefer 3 band EQ but torn between Delano, Noll, Aguilar for preamp but no idea which pups. So many options!

Difficult to make a decision without hearing them side by side.

Any advice?

Thanks

Elwood C-2.png

Edited by bassmansam
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bassmansam said:

Help Please 

I think I'd prefer 3 band EQ but torn between Delano, Noll, Aguilar for preamp but no idea which pups. So many options!

Any advice?

Thanks

Elwood C-2.png

Noll. And I’d honestly suggest sticking with Maruszczyk’s own pickups - not only are they genuinely very good, they don’t incur an extra cost on the configuration!

• Like 1

Aguilar J pups marry well with their OBP3. 

I specced Hausell J/J into East pre, which sounded great. East’s sweepable mid is much more useful than you’d think, esp live. 

tbh don’t think you can do wrong with any of their combinations, it’s all quality spec. 

• Like 1

If you're not sure about spec my inclination would be to email Adrien and Co. Since they've now made 100s of Elwoods they must have seen nearly every combo they have available and know how it sounds. 

I'll order my own custom one day but like you, just not sure which bits makes a difference when ordering! 😅

18 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

If you're not sure about spec my inclination would be to email Adrien and Co. Since they've now made 100s of Elwoods they must have seen nearly every combo they have available and know how it sounds. 

I'll order my own custom one day but like you, just not sure which bits makes a difference when ordering! 😅

I did drop Adrian an email but his English isn't great and he wasn't able to help much other than refer me to his videos which is fair enough I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I found communication with him was fairly difficult

That’s really odd. I’ve found him light on polite chat, but helpful and to-the-point. I’ve also had the same experience with a certain Polish amp builder, which others have struggled with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

That’s really odd. I’ve found him light on polite chat, but helpful and to-the-point. I’ve also had the same experience with a certain Polish amp builder, which others have struggled with.

Obviously there is that to-the-point thing, which is a bit jarring to start with, but beyond that, I didn't find him that helpful when trying to work out what I wanted back in the day, and not really clear what he was suggesting, and then when it came to aftersales, actively unhelpful.

I do love the bass though, especially once i have replaced the cheap strap screws..

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously there is that to-the-point thing, which is a bit jarring to start with, but beyond that, I didn't find him that helpful when trying to work out what I wanted back in the day, and not really clear what he was suggesting, and then when it came to aftersales, actively unhelpful.

I do love the bass though, especially once i have replaced the cheap strap screws..

I found that vague questions tend to be ignored, but when I had specifics he was very helpful. It pays to do your homework and have a good idea of what you want, then he can assist in making it happen.

When I wanted a replacement pickguard for one of my basses he helped me very quickly too. 

I did try to write my emails as short and concise as I could, after hearing how some others had trouble communicating. 

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Was it the standard strap screws you replaced? Think it's worth me upgrading these to one if the lock systems options? 

18 hours ago, bassmansam said:

Help Please 

Any advice?

I've got an Elwood that I bought second hand which has Haussel J/J pickups and a Delano preamp and that sounds great to me. it's so hard to describe tones and it's the only J style bass I've had, but I was really pleased with how much low end it can do and with the character it has.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm really tempted to go for something charcoal frost-ish. Anyone out there got an M in this colour...?

Adrian sent me a pic of a Jake Basement in CF when I was speccing mine but it's in my work email. I'll post it for you tomorrow 

• Like 1