Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

7 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Perhaps to a degree, but not entirely as many aspects of a bass are quantifiable. Possibly a better made bass? Possibly should cost more? But £7k more!?!? Pass me the (two or three) Maruszczyk’s (or Sandberg, Mayones, AGC, Overwater, Dingwall, Warwick, Sadowsky etc) instead please!!!  🤔😀

This simply speaks to the ‘subjective’ thing. As I said, i’ve had Foderas next to Maruszczyks and the fit and finish is simply better on Foderas, is that worth £7000 extra? Not to you, but to someone it will be, often (not always) based on available funds.

Workmanship is not quantifiable, as it’s an art, much like music. Why do some people pay £30 for a bandcamp download that is available for free? Because it’s worth that to them. 

If you want three basses instead of one, great, you do you.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

The price of musical instruments is subject to the law of diminishing returns. For instance, Harley Benton humbucker equipped, flame top, double cut - £200. Very similar specced PRS - £5k. Is the PRS a ‘better’ guitar (they both do the same thing after all)? Yes it is. But is it worth 2500% more? Only the buyer of the more expensive guitar can answer/justify that. Now, back to the basses in question, that Fodera is only 256% more expensive than the Sputnik.

I know I’ve used a ridiculous comparison BTW, but other makes are also available (Squier/Fender USA, Epiphone/Gibson, etc). Vive la difference and the choice we have I say.

9 hours ago, Sibob said:

As I said, i’ve had Foderas next to Maruszczyks and the fit and finish is simply better on Foderas, is that worth £7000 extra? Not to you, but to someone it will be, often (not always) based on available funds.

Workmanship is not quantifiable, as it’s an art,

You have quantified the workmanship though if you can say fit & finish is better. You have somehow measured one against the other.

I’ll have to disagree with you on the workmanship being an art too. A bass is just a consumer product in reality, therefore it is only a manufactured object designed for a purpose. That manufacturing process will vary in automation, & where there is little automation, then of course then the handmade factor comes in. That is a skill though, not art.

(As an aside because I appreciate you were speaking generally, I have the available funds so my thoughts wouldn’t be influenced by the amount alone - more, what it would it would tangibly get me)

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

The price of musical instruments is subject to the law of diminishing returns. 

Vive la difference and the choice we have I say.

Totally agree. And that is one area Fodera must surely lead the way on? A spectacular level of diminishing returns like no other bass manufacturer?

We are very much spoilt for bass choice these days & as you say that is great. 

Each to their own & good to banter about that choice! 

1 hour ago, Wilco said:

You have quantified the workmanship though if you can say fit & finish is better. You have somehow measured one against the other.

Let me clarify, it is quantifiable when compared with each other, however the worth of that difference is totally subjective.

Si

• Like 1

Indeed, if you want 'the best', with whatever the best means to you and you can afford it, why would you go for the 'almost as good' because it is a fraction of the price. Some people are happy with that, some people aren't. That is why there is always a market for hand built stuff / craftsmen / Tailors etc.

I would also say that fodera and those sort are a different market to Maruszczyk. I would put them more in a fender custom sort of market. I love my Maruszczyk but it is not without its quality problems. I have never had a fodera and to be honest never will as I don't find them very appealing, but if I found the same issues with one of those that I have had with my Maruszczyk I would be at their door asking to talk to the MD!

• 1 month later...

This arrived today while I was out (fortunately not nicked from my front door where FedEx just left it, pink torpedoes that they are). It's a standard Jake L in Pino-alike fiesta red (although it does have non-standard MOP dot inlays, which is why I bought it from Public-Peace, otherwise Bassfreaks would've had my business). Oh yeah, it's a P and no mistake and as I already own 2 Elwoods, this already feels just right.

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg

And then there were 3.

IMG_1221.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

I should actually post this here as it is related.

This is my elwood l24. It has Hausell (?) pickups, for no other reason than apparently those were the best option when I chose them, but tbh, I was never enamoured with the P pickup. It is ok, but nothing special.

IMG_0972.thumb.jpg.b8a16be57f685a0a9292b6200c367445.jpg

So I got an open box deal from the states on a nordstrand P pickups for $70, and at the same time put on some tapewound strings as I was impressed by them at the bass bash.

IMG_0975.thumb.jpg.b60f6758a66af183f64ab04d9c37833d.jpg

The pickup is great, it has a lot more life to it. Obviously it is hard to do a direct comparison as the strings are very different, but I did try it with a metal string to start with, also I can tell based on the back pickup which hasn't changed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So I got an open box deal from the states on a Nordstrand P pickups for $70, and at the same time put on some tapewound strings as I was impressed by them at the bass bash.

BARGAIN!

• 2 months later...

Played a Jake L4pj today at The Bass Gallery. Finished in a rich metallic ocean green colour with a white guard - more green than “ocean turquoise” but certainly in that ballpark colour-wise

Frankly, I was blown away by the playability and the SOUND. My god. Lots of output, proper barky Precision tone with the P pup solo’d and was able to blend the J in to taste with the passive V/V/T wiring. And - very importantly for me - a tone pot which was useable across the entire sweep of the knob. To top it all off it weighed next to nothing too as it’s a chambered construction. Sub - 8lbs! It felt like it had rolled fingerboard edges too. Hardware/pickups seemed to be of the standard Maruszczyk variety and all looked and felt top notch.

Suffice to say if the shop wasn’t closing I could have sat with it for a good while longer...at under a grand I had to give my wallet a serious pep talk.

• Like 2

Just to add that in the past, when using the Maruszczyk configurator online, I’ve always spec’d my fantasy builds with “upgraded” hardware and pups at extra cost. My experience today has convinced me there’s zero need to do so. If the bass already feels and sounds that great with the in house parts then why bother spending more money??

I should also say that the strings (presumably Maruszczyk’s own brand) and setup were sublime too. It was genuinely effortless to play. It’s been said before but setup makes such a difference when picking up a bass in store and can easily make or break a sale. I’ve oft walked into a music shop ready to spend money and been turned off buying great basses “on paper” because the strings and setup are poor.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Played a Jake L4pj today at The Bass Gallery. Finished in a rich metallic ocean green colour with a white guard - more green than “ocean turquoise” but certainly in that ballpark colour-wise

Frankly, I was blown away by the playability and the SOUND. My god. Lots of output, proper barky Precision tone with the P pup solo’d and was able to blend the J in to taste with the passive V/V/T wiring. And - very importantly for me - a tone pot which was useable across the entire sweep of the knob. To top it all off it weighed next to nothing too as it’s a chambered construction. Sub - 8lbs! It felt like it had rolled fingerboard edges too. Hardware/pickups seemed to be of the standard Maruszczyk variety and all looked and felt top notch.

Suffice to say if the shop wasn’t closing I could have sat with it for a good while longer...at under a grand I had to give my wallet a serious pep talk.

I’ve played that Jake too and it is, as you say, very nice indeed. I might be mis-remembering, I think it had Haussell pickups (nicely rounded edges). I certainly ordered my off the peg Jake after playing that one based on the feel. Mine has a Maruszczyk pickup in it and it sounds just as a P should.

9 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I should also say that the strings (presumably Maruszczyk’s own brand) and setup were sublime too. It was genuinely effortless to play. It’s been said before but setup makes such a difference when picking up a bass in store and can easily make or break a sale. I’ve oft walked into a music shop ready to spend money and been turned off buying great basses “on paper” because the strings and setup are poor.

I love their strings. When my Jake arrived I emailed Adrian to ask what it was wearing and ordered some more, they worked out great value compared to my usual sets. Bass Direct stock them now so it's even more straightforward. I've got a bit of a backlog now though, as they keep their tone for ages, so I'm not changing them very often.

42 minutes ago, NickD said:

I love their strings. When my Jake arrived I emailed Adrian to ask what it was wearing and ordered some more, they worked out great value compared to my usual sets. Bass Direct stock them now so it's even more straightforward. I've got a bit of a backlog now though, as they keep their tone for ages, so I'm not changing them very often.

What strings?

42 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve played that Jake too and it is, as you say, very nice indeed. I might be mis-remembering, I think it had Haussell pickups (nicely rounded edges). I certainly ordered my off the peg Jake after playing that one based on the feel. Mine has a Maruszczyk pickup in it and it sounds just as a P should.

Ah, yes, sounds like you may be correct here re: Häussel pups! I didn’t see any logo or branding on them so assumed they were Maruszczyks. 

42 minutes ago, NickD said:

Might have to get me some Maruszczyk strings now. Thanks for the heads up.

10 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Just to add that in the past, when using the Maruszczyk configurator online, I’ve always spec’d my fantasy builds with “upgraded” hardware and pups at extra cost. My experience today has convinced me there’s zero need to do so. If the bass already feels and sounds that great with the in house parts then why bother spending more money??

yes , i often get customers asking me if they should upgrade hardware 

the "you can , i will make more money but i don't think it's needed...." usually gets them confused. 

the standard one absolutely does the job to me. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, yes, sounds like you may be correct here re: Häussel pups! I didn’t see any logo or branding on them so assumed they were Maruszczyks. 

Might have to get me some Maruszczyk strings now. Thanks for the heads up.

as far as I remember they're made in Italy to Adrian's request / Specs. To be confirmed though. Could be wronng.

When I ordered both of my Jakes back in the day, I specified Hipshot Ultralite tuners and a Hipshot bridge, both of which are very nice, but obviously bumped the price up a bit.

Having played a few 'stock' Jakes since, I think I could probably live with the standard BBoT bridge, but not so much the tuners. They just don't look substantial enough to me, but I accept it's more than likely psychological.

As for the pickups, my original had Haussels which were great - quite warm. My LPB has stock Maruszczyk's, which are just the bee's knees. Love them.

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

As for the pickups, my original had Haussels which were great - quite warm. My LPB has stock Maruszczyk's, which are just the bee's knees. Love them.

Which of the two had more of a hollow, woody bark to them in your experience? I’ve spent the morning listening to Maruszczyk’s YouTube demos to try and compare between the Häussels and M’s own pups. Both sound great and definitely in the same ballpark for me.

When I ordered both of my Jakes back in the day, I specified Hipshot Ultralite tuners and a Hipshot bridge, both of which are very nice, but obviously bumped the price up a bit.

My elwood I ordered with hipshot ultralites, just because it was a chambered 5 string so there was always the risk of being head heavy, so it was to get round that. I don't know if it would have been but I don't regret the choice.

My haussels were good too, although I got a norstrand P Bass pickups, because I like nordstrands and it was reduced since.

I honestly think the Marusz... pups are real sleepers. They don't often get mentioned and I did intend to upgrade my Elwood once it arrived and I could afford it - but there just wasn't any need. They sound awesome, I like them just as much as the Nordy's big singles in my Ibby. Different sounding, but just as pleasing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Which of the two had more of a hollow, woody bark to them in your experience? I’ve spent the morning listening to Maruszczyk’s YouTube demos to try and compare between the Häussels and M’s own pups. Both sound great and definitely in the same ballpark for me.

Definitely the Maruszczyks. The Haussels were noticeably mellower.

• Thanks 1