Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Could certainly be tempted by this:

41688273_10155369516582396_5054840537870237696_o.thumb.jpg.469d693492b35d28c9b3a1653114cf9e.jpg

Although I think I would need a black fingerboard, and I am not sure how I feel about that solitary lower machinehead!

A thing of beauty (although I can't get on with T'Bird ergonomics) that makes my wallet itchy. Not on the shop's webpage, so perhaps a custom order; phew!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2018 at 15:32, Woodinblack said:

Could certainly be tempted by this:

41688273_10155369516582396_5054840537870237696_o.thumb.jpg.469d693492b35d28c9b3a1653114cf9e.jpg

Although I think I would need a black fingerboard, and I am not sure how I feel about that solitary lower machinehead!

And me, I'd personally like a satin black finish with no grain though. Can't see any 5 string options on the website so I also think it must be a custom order. Would like to know pricing though.

1 hour ago, colleya said:

And me, I'd personally like a satin black finish with no grain though. Can't see any 5 string options on the website so I also think it must be a custom order. Would like to know pricing though.

Looks passive, so depending on hardware/pickups I would assume it’s not a crazy price 😬🤞🏾

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. I'm just trying out a Jake 5p.. wonder if anyone can help? The truss rod nut is about 15mm up inside the channel at the base of the neck (see pics) ..is that normal? There's some residual scuzz - glue or something - in there too. Could it have slipped? The nut is also maxed-out - it won't tighten any more - which is making me wonder if it's been abused.. The bass has 45 - 130 Ernie Ball Colbalt Flats on it which seem pretty high tension.. also wondering if the (quite thin) neck can handle them.. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Ben.  

*edit - the neck has a little bit of relief in it with the truss rod fully tightened*

**edit 2 - it's also making a creaking/pinging sound when I loosen or tighten the strings. Anybody experienced this? I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the zero fret or nut.. or indicative of something else.. dunno**

Truss Rod 2.JPG

Truss Rod.JPG

Edited by benjo

The position of the adjuster looks correct it is in the same place on my Jake 4

I haven't had any creaks from my neck but I have only changed strings once from rounds to Maruszczyk Flats and it seems to be very stable, I have only adjusted the neck by 1/6 turn either way from where it was when I bought it,  it seems pretty sensitive to adjustment - 1/3 turn was about 1mm variance in relief around the 7th fret with the rounds that were on it - , D'addario exl 160s,  they are medium gauge, tensions will be on D'addarios site; since I set it up with the flats I haven't adjusted it - I only fully loosened the middle two strings to move them aside for good tool access, the outers I only loosen a little ( say a tone) before adjusting the truss rod so some string tension still on

I don't know what tension M's strings are but they are excellent value for money and I figured they should be right for it and I'm happy with them

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

The position of the adjuster looks correct it is in the same place on my Jake 4

I haven't had any creaks from my neck but I have only changed strings once from rounds to Maruszczyk Flats and it seems to be very stable, I have only adjusted the neck by 1/6 turn either way from where it was when I bought it,  it seems pretty sensitive to adjustment - 1/3 turn was about 1mm variance in relief around the 7th fret with the rounds that were on it - , D'addario exl 160s,  they are medium gauge, tensions will be on D'addarios site; since I set it up with the flats I haven't adjusted it - I only fully loosened the middle two strings to move them aside for good tool access, the outers I only loosen a little ( say a tone) before adjusting the truss rod so some string tension still on

I don't know what tension M's strings are but they are excellent value for money and I figured they should be right for it and I'm happy with them

Thanks very much, thats reassuring about the adjuster position! In that case it's maxed out for sure, i'll have a look at some lower tension strings - thanks for the heads up on the Maruszczyk flats. Ben

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My truss rod looks like that.

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs, but you do know the Maruszczyk truss rod is backwards to other truss rods don’t you?

I do, thanks. Although i did wind it the wrong way first. When more relief appeared in the neck, then I found that video in their website which tells you.. Slightly off topic - do you have an experience of 'running' your bass with the truss rod maxed out? Mine is about 1/8 turn away from maxed right now. Is it safe? 

18 hours ago, benjo said:

Hi all. I'm just trying out a Jake 5p.. wonder if anyone can help? The truss rod nut is about 15mm up inside the channel at the base of the neck (see pics) ..is that normal? There's some residual scuzz - glue or something - in there too. Could it have slipped? The nut is also maxed-out - it won't tighten any more - which is making me wonder if it's been abused.. The bass has 45 - 130 Ernie Ball Colbalt Flats on it which seem pretty high tension.. also wondering if the (quite thin) neck can handle them.. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Ben.  

*edit - the neck has a little bit of relief in it with the truss rod fully tightened*

**edit 2 - it's also making a creaking/pinging sound when I loosen or tighten the strings. Anybody experienced this? I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the zero fret or nut.. or indicative of something else.. dunno**

Truss Rod 2.JPG

Truss Rod.JPG

Hi ,

most likely been abused if you cannot tighten it anymore. I have sold 100+ of his instruments and personally own 3 ... i've always found his rods to be stupidly reactive ...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, benjo said:

@pierreganseman - thanks very much. One thing that is confusing -  this is a custom instrument that was made in August this year. It's being sold as used for a good price. Wondering if something odd is going on.. The instrument is spotless in every other way.. Looks like it hasn't been played

Thing is, if you are looking to buy something and there is something you don't like about it, walk away. They are not rare items, they come up quite often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Thing is, if you are looking to buy something and there is something you don't like about it, walk away. They are not rare items, they come up quite often.

It's just this truss rod thing really - otherwise it plays and sounds lovely... need to find out whether its sortable..

Thank you everyone for your input on this. I took the bass to an excellent luthier here in Bristol. He took the tension off the strings and the truss rod - said the neck looked good, with a slight back-bow in it when under no tension. We then set it back up again with the same strings, then loosened the strings again before a final tune up. When he tuned it back up we were actually able to release the truss rod quite a bit - he said sometimes they can work better if you do it this way - so you're tensioning the strings against the rod, rather than the rod against the strings.. if you know what i mean. 

Also, he was impressed with the bass. Liked the weight and the slim neck. And how easy it plays. 

Anyway, I've currently got a good bit more adjustment in the rod, which I'm happy with. It also does seem sensitive to small tweaks. Might change to lighter gauge strings to see how much more that gains me, will update if i do.. but for now i'm happy I've got a good bit of headroom if i need it. I'm keeping the bass! 

Thanks again, Ben.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to inform all of you that MARUSZCZYK INSTRUMENTS are raising prices from very soon on all entry prices instruments. 

as far as i understood standard instruments will now cost 1090 euros (from 950)

All current stock will stay at old prices but new stock orders will raise. 

It has been a good year with again around 550 / 575 builds.

Realised I made a mistake moving my Cazpar on, so I'm buying one that's FS on this forum.  Seller Tomasz is serial Mensinger buyer (their biggest private customer apparently) and, as he lives near the factory, offered to have them inspect the Cazzie and e-mail me a report - which brings me to the point of this post.  How nice is this e-mail they sent me this morning - talk about going the extra mile!

Dear Sir!

This Headless Cazpar has been custom made by our company in 2018 for Mr.Tomasz F. On his request it has been examined by our experts and in our opinion this item is genuine and free of any damage in excellent mint condition.
We are very glad that You have chosen Mensinger brand. We put our hearts into every guitar we made ; hope it will serve You well for a long time.

Best Regards

Mensinger Office 

Sabina K

And here it is - can't wait to get my hands on it!

http://IMG-0059-thumb-jpg-df8b149491982ec831bfc

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 5

On 16/12/2018 at 21:07, pierreganseman said:

Just to inform all of you that MARUSZCZYK INSTRUMENTS are raising prices from very soon on all entry prices instruments. 

as far as i understood standard instruments will now cost 1090 euros (from 950)

What with our exchange rates tanking with brexit and all, I am guessing they will start to get a bit less common here!

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Realised I made a mistake moving my Cazpar on, so I'm buying one that's FS on this forum. 

I saw that headless, it looked really nice, I am sure you are going to love it. I still have room in my collection for a headless frog, but I think combine with the comment above, its not something that is going to happen any time in the foreseeable future!