Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up an Elwood 5A-24 in a trade, it's very nice, I wasn't expecting a tilt-back headstock on a Jazz style bass, it works well and looks fine from the front, but it's a little odd when playing. Are they all tilt-back heads, or is it an option when ordering.

Not too sure I'll keep this, but it will work a bit better for my Industrial band than my other shell pink jazz bass.

1 hour ago, EmmettC said:

Just picked up an Elwood 5A-24 in a trade, it's very nice, I wasn't expecting a tilt-back headstock on a Jazz style bass, it works well and looks fine from the front, but it's a little odd when playing. Are they all tilt-back heads, or is it an option when ordering.

Not too sure I'll keep this, but it will work a bit better for my Industrial band than my other shell pink jazz bass.

standard issue there. I think you can order a "normal head" when ordering if you wish too. I've noticed some basses with "birdeye" or "flame" neck as custom do have a straight head too .... other than that 99% of standard basses ill have angled back head

2 hours ago, EmmettC said:

Pictures or it never happened 😬

8 hours ago, EmmettC said:

I wasn't expecting a tilt-back headstock on a Jazz style bass, it works well and looks fine from the front, but it's a little odd when playing. Are they all tilt-back heads, or is it an option when ordering.

No, mine came as a normal flat head unfortunately, would have preferred a tilt, didn't know it was an option! 

37 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

What are the 5 string necks like? 

Slim or chunky? 

If you order them, they'll be whatever you choose. I specified the profile in the 3 basses I ordered by giving measurements at different points (width and depth). The ability to do that was what first attracted me to them, plus all the possible customisations for little extra.

On 02/08/2018 at 14:17, miles'tone said:

Oof. 

I have been getting a bit excited about ordering a Jake 5 to my own specs, drooling over the website.

In order to fund it I will have to sell my Fender Custom Shop P,  which is the best 4 string I've ever played.. After reading the last few pages of this thread I've really gone off the idea! 

I can't afford a Shuker unfortunately but does anyone know of another builder that makes quality custom P5 style basses on these shores for, say, a grand and a half?

Wishful thinking?

Have you considered a Sandberg.  I got a custom VS (P bass) made for around £1,375 (including custom colour and painted h/stock.  So you could get one for close to your budget.  A quick play on the Sandberg Configurator produced a standard spec 5-string VS for €1,500.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ead said:

Have you considered a Sandberg.  I got a custom VS (P bass) made for around £1,375 (including custom colour and painted h/stock.  So you could get one for close to your budget.  A quick play on the Sandberg Configurator produced a standard spec 5-string VS for €1,500.

+1000. Their customer service is fantastic too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ead said:

Forgot about Sandberg! Thanks, I'll check it out tonight!

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Forgot about Sandberg! Thanks, I'll check it out tonight!

I got mine through Classic & Cool Guitars (agents for Sandberg).  Mark is very competitive on price as I think he takes a smaller cut than most.