Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

...or do you mean from one Polish facility to another? If so, my apologies.

Yes, I remember when my first was built it was one of the very last before they moved to a new factory.

2 hours ago, El_JimBob said:

Yes. The right way is the wrong way, right? At least, it works in the opposite direction to any bass I've used before...

(fortunately I'd read about that in advance, otherwise I'd have found out the hard way) 

That's correct.

Out of curiousity, what's the timeline here? Was the bass crocked when you got it?

Personally if the neck kept moving as you say I would have left the truss rod alone. Not your fault of course but adjusting the truss rod, and bending the neck back and forth a few times a week was putting the wood under a lot of stress. Did you adjust the neck under string tension.?? i.e. you can see the neck is pulling toward the E string with the most tension.. But of course its the neck and the builder that is at fault and he should know this.. 

21 minutes ago, El_JimBob said:

I took delivery of it just about a year ago now. Several weeks earlier than expected, actually. All seemed fine initially. 

How long 'till it started shifting? Did anything happen beforehand? Did you speak to Adrian straight away?

Sorry for all the questions 🙂

5 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Personally if the neck kept moving as you say I would have left the truss rod alone. Not your fault of course but adjusting the truss rod, and bending the neck back and forth a few times a week was putting the wood under a lot of stress. Did you adjust the neck under string tension.?? i.e. you can see the neck is pulling toward the E string with the most tension.. But of course its the neck and the builder that is at fault and he should know this.. 

No, I've always slackened the strings first before any adjustment, plus I'm keen on balanced tension strings just to keep everything nice and even... 

Edited by El_JimBob

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

How long 'till it started shifting? Did anything happen beforehand? Did you speak to Adrian straight away?

Sorry for all the questions 🙂

It was after a few months that the movement became obvious. I'm very particular about a nice straight neck as I don't play particularly hard, so I can feel when there's more relief than there needs to be. 

No, foolishly, I didn't. I decided to give all concerned the benefit of the doubt given how happy everyone else was with their instruments, so it's my bad for not raising the issue before it was too late... 

Anyway, I think I've derailed this thread more than I ever deserved to, so for the sake of keeping a personal issue out of a public forum (and not getting either side too worked up), I'll give Adrian the benefit of the doubt and we'll keep this matter private until it's resolved. 

Besides, seeing how content all his other customers are gives me hope it'll all turn out ok in the end... 

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Personally if the neck kept moving as you say I would have left the truss rod alone. Not your fault of course but adjusting the truss rod, and bending the neck back and forth a few times a week was putting the wood under a lot of stress. Did you adjust the neck under string tension.?? i.e. you can see the neck is pulling toward the E string with the most tension.. 

I agree completely. It sounds like the truss rod is no longer working, either broken or pulled out of its anchor. If it’s doing nothing at all then the neck is going to both bow and twist towards that E string  

Continually moving it back and forth may have done this but over-tightening is generally what causes this to happen. 

I always treat truss rods with extreme respect. It’s not that I’m worried about working with them but I know it’s tricky (and expensive) to repair them and it’s not covered by warranty because it’s classed as something caused by the user. 

If ever I have any neck issues I’ll get the bass to a local luthier immediately for a check over. A lot of them will do an initial check for free and can often isolate the problem very quickly. Sometimes might take a few days if something needs to be adjusted and settled in but I’d rather be without something for a while than risk causing serious damage :(

38 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

The odd thing about Jim bob's bass is that the twist is the opposite direction to how they normally go. I have seen a few twisters in my time and they have all gone the other way.

If the truss rod has broken wouldn’t the higher tension of the lower strings make it twist like this?

16 hours ago, molan said:

If the truss rod has broken wouldn’t the higher tension of the lower strings make it twist like this?

Not sure the truss rod offers much torsional rigidity, and aren't the lower strings (BEA) generally lower tension than the higher ones anyway?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Not sure the truss rod offers much torsional rigidity, and aren't the lower strings (BEA) generally lower tension than the higher ones anyway?

Agreed - the truss rod doesn't have any influence on twist. The BC Rich pictured above has a manufacturing fault meaning the neck woods are off-centre. 

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:17, El_JimBob said:

Anyway, I think I've derailed this thread more than I ever deserved to, so for the sake of keeping a personal issue out of a public forum (and not getting either side too worked up), I'll give Adrian the benefit of the doubt and we'll keep this matter private until it's resolved. 

Besides, seeing how content all his other customers are gives me hope it'll all turn out ok in the end... 

Hi

I know you are moving on but, as a bass builder, just to put your mind at rest: it is exceptionally unlikely that the twist problem is anything you've done.  My reasons for saying this:

• As folks above have said - with a single truss rod neck - in my view, the truss rod does not do anything about twist.  It does not cause it and it cannot cure it.  I'm pretty sure the Jazzus is a single truss rod neck.
  • The truss rod adjustment is a routine event - especially with changing weather conditions.  Adrian M explains this himself in Part 1 of his YouTube set-up guidance videos (which are good, by the way).  He himself in that video adjusts the truss rod under full string tension.  Adjusting with no string tension is also OK.

Unless a bass has been left in exceptionally poor storage conditions (eg, I make an assumption it hasn't been left in a car in full sun in recent weather or anything of similar extremes) twist is usually an issue whose causes would have been already present in the timbers or construction at the time of building.  It is entirely possible that this would have been undetectable at the time of making so it is not necessarily a sign of poor quality control.  As the neck moves, through playing or through weather changes, those underlying issues can sometimes start to show. 

On a relatively new bass, therefore, I'm surprised that there is any argument other than to replace the neck FOC (I think the neck is bolt-on?).  It is usually no-one's fault - but it is, in most likelihood, a fault in the bass.

• Like 7

I must add, and its by no means rubbing anyone's face in it; my Maruszczyk that arrived two months ago was beautifully built. There are clearly issues with some that are leaving the factory, but they're not all bad so don't be put off or disheartened.

34447222_10160241043460417_8850832844251987968_n.png

• Like 2

I  think i would avoid commissioning a bass from them if that's the kind of customer service you get. Any handbuilt bass could have a problem, but its how it's dealt with that is just as important.

I would only really trust the big players on Basschat for a custom build.  Andy or Alan  - and Christine if she ever went for commissions

Edited by fleabag