Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

• 2 weeks later...

Having a bit more fun with the configurator. This time an Elwood L 5er, passive. Aguilar PJ pups with a Tonestyler. The J is humcancelling. Maple Burl top, charcoal burst satin finish. Abalone Maruszczyk logo. €2,030 though :(

FB602437-E5C0-4B10-8D0D-44E1407005A4.thumb.png.0adb51f6dd1b971c20227432e25d31fb.png

One for the owners...

How are you finding the build quality?

I’m looking for a new bass in the £2k region (or less). I’ve come up with a few great looking & well spec’d basses, but I read that some of the components such as screws are of poor quality. 

8 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

One for the owners...

I’m looking for a new bass in the £2k region (or less). I’ve come up with a few great looking & well spec’d basses, but I read that some of the components such as screws are of poor quality. 

No issues with mine except a rough feeling 3 way rotary switch that I wanted and isn’t a standard feature and was sourced beyond their usual stock. After all that, I barely use that switch anyway and leave the pickup in series all the time. The quality of hardware (and build for that matter) seems to better than my Ric.

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

One for the owners...

I think the bits that really matter are good. Fit and finish are perfect, everything is fine... but yes, the screws are soft metal... so be careful. I would not let that put me off... in fact I found that out on my first bass and bought two more. It is one of those "guys, really?" things... but fortunately the rest is good. Very good.

4 hours ago, xgsjx said:

One for the owners...

Generally OK but the neck pocket isn't as snug as I'd expect it to be and after having to send the neck back for them to retro-fit the luminlays that they forgot to do fist time round it has come back looking like a five year old has fitted them. That said the neck itself is lovely and it plays well.

12 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

after having to send the neck back for them to retro-fit the luminlays that they forgot to do fist time round it has come back looking like a five year old has fitted them.

That’s grim! Do you have any photos? 

6 hours ago, xgsjx said:

One for the owners...

Because I changed my pickguard (for aesthetic reasons), I had that off the bass three times - not had any issues with the screws at all. Originals are back on no problem & look as new. The overall build quality is excellent on both mine.

Cheers guys.  It sounds like you guys are pretty happy with your basses.

I'm not a fan of the "F***er" shape of the Elwood & Jake, but I like the options & colours.  The Frog is a better looking instrument (IMO of course), so I'm looking at that & some of the other models.

Oh so many choices!

I had a problem when i tried to change the strap lock and the screw just broke off. They seem to use poor quality screws which is a bit poor considering the price, but haven't had any other problems really, in general it is a lovely bass. I also think the frog is a nice shape, especially headless.

I replaced the Bassculture MM pickup in my Elwood L fretless today with a Delano MC4 HE/M2. I have the 'single coil' HE/M2 versions in my fretted Elwood L and have been knocked out by the articulation of them, so I finally got around to fitting an MM one in the fretless (after 10 months since deciding to do so). The Delano is, to my ears, a much sweeter sounding pickup, the single coil and parallel setting in particular now have real character, so much so, that I may start using the parallel setting as my go to tone. A big shout out to Reinhard at Delano, who got the wiring info from Maruszczyk so I could just drop the new pickup straight in using the existing loom, I know he had to really spend some time on the phone getting the wiring info for the Bassculture. 

• Like 2

I have Delano's in both mine & they are great pickups.

My Elwood 5a had Bartolini's in when I got it, & I replaced those with a set of JMVC 5's which sound so much nicer & are tonally far more flexible.

• Like 1

The Delanos are my favourite pickups I've ever had. My Elwood L5 has the Haussels (J and Humbucker) through a preamp and sounds great, my Jake 5+ is passive with Delanos (P and Humbucker) and it blows it away in terms of output tone and versatility... it's just something else. If it didn't require re-routing the L5 would have had the Delanos stuck in ages ago.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have the Haussels. They sound good but pretty weak compared to the nordstrands on the ibanez.

Those Big Singles are very meaty for sure (I had an SR1605). If I was having another bass made, I think I’d go for them to have something different.

I have the Delano in my Jake 5 and it totally nails the P bass sound I have in my head.  I bought another pickup from Adrian to fit into my Sterling 5er that sports an Aguilar P pup but, unfortunately, the sizes are different.  Need to decide whether to make the bass a bit more of a project than it already has been or move the pup on and stay with the Aguilar.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Clarky72 said:

This just turned up this morning... oh my god its incredible. Can't wait to get home and plug it in!!

Check out the gloss fingerboard

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6912.JPG

Feck, that's nice! Presumably that's an ebony fingerboard? Look's very cool glossed. Are those the Luminay side dots?

52 minutes ago, Merton said:

My word. They do make good looking basses don’t they. Just a shame I didn’t get on with the one I played at the LBGS.

Out of interest, what didn't you get on with?

2 hours ago, Wilco said:

Out of interest, what didn't you get on with?

I just found it a bit average, it didn’t feel any better than my knackered cheap Vester Jazz. It could have just been the situation, and I’m certainly not ruling out trying more, but I just didn’t “get” it. Much prefer my ACGs!

I will be getting a more traditional flavoured bass later this year but it’ll be a UK built custom beast instead and VERY competitively priced vs an equivalent Elwood L 😎