Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

1 hour ago, Ian McFly said:

I know that @wateroftyne has a Jake with regular headstock 

I asked him in private message a while ago and said he has no issues whatsoever with the zero fret. 

As you said it’s probably more of an effort for them and maybe not worth it. 

I have an angled headstock on my Elwood 5, and while I don’t mind it, I prefer a flat headstock... not something I need, more something I want. I can do without though if it proves to be an actual issue but so far, I don’t think it is. 

Yep, I'm a flat-headstock-and-zero-fret guy, and it plays like a dream. No issues.

To be fair, I did tentatively speak to Adrian a little while ago about a new build with the same config and while he did grumble a bit, he said he would do it.

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@wateroftyne - enjoyed your YT review. Did you you consider a Sandberg VM5 as a possible alternative?

Thanks, Al. No, for a couple of reasons - I don't play fives, but I discounted Sandberg for basically superficial reasons - they don't click with me visually.

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Thanks, Al. No, for a couple of reasons - I don't play fives, but I discounted Sandberg for basically superficial reasons - they don't click with me visually.

Ah ok thanks Wat - yup I should have said VM4 rather than 5 but I seem to default 5 string references these days! 

Do you reckon Adrian says it doesn't really work with the 0-fret to kind of talking me out of it then? I struggle to understand what the issue would be in having a flat headstock with a string retainer on the D and G (maybe even the A), a la Fender, and how the 0-fret would impact that.

9 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Do you reckon Adrian says it doesn't really work with the 0-fret to kind of talking me out of it then? I struggle to understand what the issue would be in having a flat headstock with a string retainer on the D and G (maybe even the A), a la Fender, and how the 0-fret would impact that.

Honestly, as a player, I can't see the issue. It might be that there's something I don't know about (can't think what) or... it might just be a PITA for them to accommodate.

Edited by wateroftyne

3 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

Does anyone here have an Elwood or a Jake with a non-angled headstock and a string retainer/tree?

If yes, how does it interact with the zero-fret? I asked Adrian if it’s possible to make a flat headstock with a string retainer, and said it doesn’t work well with the zero-fret... seems to work well on Sandbergs though.

I have a Elwwod with a non angled headstock and no string retainer/tree. As a result I have to be very careful how I string it or I will get buzz. I keep meaning to get a string retainer every time I restring it but keep forgetting.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 14:13, Ian McFly said:

Absolutely ridiculous! You could ship something from EU to Australia back and forth probably 5 times in that time period...

Although I was reading that they had finally sorted the "backlog" at the border, but it's still pretty ridiculous...

in the mean time I have shipped to Australia in 4 days 

many times to USA in 48 hours and even reached Hawaii in 72 hours 

be aware that if you are to order from Public peace - it's well out of their hands 

I did hear from somebody at UPS that there's generally a gigantic backlog from UK packages (going in and out of the country) 

• Like 1

I placed an order earlier this month. Reading back through this thread gives me doubts I didn’t have before. It seems that 2-3 years ago there were several issues with quality (see around page 100 in this thread).

One of the theories back then was that this was to do with a move to a new production facility, and also coping with suddenly increasing demand. So has anyone had any issues with more recent orders?

My 6 was delivered in mid 2017 and has had some issues, which I won’t blame Maruszczyk for - but I would just recommend that, if it’s a six string you’ve ordered, I would advise you go for the carbon rods for added stability. Aside from that, my 6 has no issues and my fretless is great. Both feel great to play - and light. My 6 is as light as both Fender Precision 4 strings I have, and lighter than my US Fender Jazz 5.

One possible issue is that my fretless sounds quite dark, but again - that’s personal preference and not a manufacturer issue. Could be as simple as I don’t like the pickups or the wiring setup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

I would just recommend that, if it’s a six string you’ve ordered, I would advise you go for the carbon rods for added stability. 

It’s a 5 with a slim neck. I originally ordered it without rods, but this thread prompted me to add them, so good advice. I guess it’s early enough in the process that I can still get away with making a few changes.

• Like 1

My 5 had the profile of an ibanez sr1605, which is an ibanez premium (which obviously has rods). I doubt the mzk does, as I didn't specify it, but it hasn't caused issues. I had to drill the remnants of the screw out of the back of the bass when I went to remove the strap lock as it just sheared. Since then I have replaced the other structural screws as I don't trust them.  I have to be careful stringing it to make sure that I go from top to bottom so that there is enough of a break angle for the high strings (must get a tie down thing at some point).

Other than that, I have changed the P pickup - there wasn't anything wrong with the original (which I specified) but I got a deal on a nordstrand which I prefered.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 17:09, pierreganseman said:

He's definitely a man of few words but I learnt to know that it's not meant in any sort of rude way

rarely answers more than "yes" "no" "ok" but has always sorted me out for anything I needed 

as to wether he has to like something in order to build it - I would say that after dedicating 16 years of his life for his company he's pretty free to do what he wants. Metallic colours with a Satin finish are 100% possible so while I , myself , don't care that much for it I do get his point that to some (maybe him?!) a Metallic colour without a gloss could look dull. 

however if you insist - maybe he will build it?? I don't know :) 

Adrians english is not the best thats true. He told me on Wednesday he gets a few hundred emails per day, from nearly all over the World. Keep in mind, that there are only he and his near family to do the whole Job. Making Couchphotos, preparing Instruments for Shipping, adusting instruments before shipping, making Videos, writing the Certificates and packages that come with the Bass...all done by Adrian, and mostly his Daughters + 1/2 further Empoyees. 

So Adrian answers all the emails by himself and keeps them as short as possible. You have to know him a little, to get that right. 

He just told me, a few minutes ago that they will do the matte metallic finishes that you asked for. So go for it. I guess he had to make a consultation with the paint guys at Mensinger in Waksmund first. 

Edited by AREA
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yep, I realised pretty quickly that he was a man of few words (a bit like another Polish chap I know!). Three lovely basses down the road, I’d be happy to buy again, although the truss issues flagged here are a little sad to see.

I Don't know about the Truss Rod Issues, but in relation to that you have to know, that on the Maruszczyk and Mensinger Basses, the Trussrod works in the opposite Direction. There is no " righty tighty - lefty loosey".  The opposite is the Case 🙂

Edited by AREA

19 minutes ago, AREA said:

I Don't know about the Truss Rod Issues, but in relation to that you have to know, that on the Maruszczyk and Mensinger Basses, the Trussrod works in the opposite Direction. There is no " righty tighty - lefty loosey".  The opposite is the Case 🙂

Yep, I’m aware of that, but the glue on the truss mentioned earlier was unfortunate.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AREA said:

That aspect is well worth repeating regularly, as it can cause confusion. I still get caught! Almost everytime I need to adjust mine (rarely) it's a 'doh' time :D