Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

24 minutes ago, Cesarsrr said:

My friend asked me to exchange my Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller V USA 2007 with his Maruszczyk Elwood L5A.

What do u think guys?

I've never used any Maruszczyk basses before.

Well, there's 115 pages of info for you to read through here 🙂

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Well, there's 115 pages of info for you to read through here 🙂

Ahaha and that's a little problem for me right now with the 115 pages.. but, yes I'll try to learn from this thread.

But maybe u can give me a little outlook about Elwood L5A or maybe if it's compared to Fender Marcus Miller V from your view.

Thanks before.

1 hour ago, Cesarsrr said:

My friend asked me to exchange my Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller V USA 2007 with his Maruszczyk Elwood L5A.

What do u think guys?

Given the custom nature of Maruszczyks it would be hard to point out the differences (pickups, preamp, scale length, hardware, etc) without more info. All we can say is that the Elwood L would very probably be much lighter because it is chambered and the balance probably better because of the usual 3 over 2 headstock with lightweight tuners.

53 minutes ago, Cesarsrr said:

Ahaha and that's a little problem for me right now with the 115 pages.. but, yes I'll try to learn from this thread.

But maybe u can give me a little outlook about Elwood L5A or maybe if it's compared to Fender Marcus Miller V from your view.

Thanks before.

It's probably worth asking about spec, as there's a lot of variations. My L5A is a flame top on alder with a maple board, but there are many alternatives. Similarly mine has Haussels and a Delano Pre, but I've seen then with Delano, Bass Culture, and Maruszcyczk pickups, and Glockenklang preamps. Value wise they start around £1600 new over here, so comparing that might be something to consider. I'd guess that the re-sale value on a Marcus Miller will probably be better in comparison.

From a playing perspective, it's a beautiful bass to play. Really light, a beautiful easy neck, perfectly balanced and very well put together (be aware that the truss rod works in the opposite direction to fenders though). Tonally it's got a great range from the pickup/pre combination and sounds great. My Jake has the Delanos, which I really love too, although people on this thread speak very highly of the Maruszcyczk pickups.

Mine is ash with an ebony neck and flamed maple neck and matching headstock body, with ultralight tuners and haussel and nordstrand pickups. But it also has a much narrower neck than most (it has an ibanez neck profile), the marcus miller neck would be massive compared to mine. It is really light but well balanced.

Edited by Woodinblack

4 hours ago, Cesarsrr said:

What do u think guys?

I have owned 5 Maru's and they are generally great basses.  My advice is: if you and your friend have played each other's basses and both of you are happy, then why not?  Maybe also check out the market value of both and one of you pays something if there's a difference.  However, I think the Fender will probably depreciate in value less than the Maru' over time.

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

WoT certainly has an eye for the fine details. I’m rather liking the look of lollipop tuners since trying a JMJ Mustang recently and they really work on sshorepunk’s potential build.

Heh.

Everything about dots, binding and matching headstock screams 'Ovals!'

IMO, obv. 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just placed an order through their online Configurator...

Elwood-C-2.png

Elwood C 5 string, Charcoal Frost Metallic, Alder body, Maple neck and fingerboard, Aguilar 5J-HC pickups, Delano Sonar 2 band preamp. Straightforward, hopefully good sounding Jazz Bass. Nothing fancy, just a bass to my taste.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...