Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

The trend I’ve seen is that the faulty truss rods happened on necks without the carbon rods.... hence why I have them on mine and will get them on my next one too. 

Worse comes to worse, this is a problem that can be fixed. Maruszczyk can build a new neck (granted it’s bolt on), even at some cost for you (a pain in the hoop, I admit, but if you love the bass that much, you’d pay it if they can’t agree to a compromise.... I would). Or a local tech can replace it for you. 

What I mean is that a messed up truss doesn’t mean the bass is good for landfill. 

1 hour ago, Ian McFly said:

The trend I’ve seen is that the faulty truss rods happened on necks without the carbon rods.... hence why I have them on mine and will get them on my next one too. 

If the truss rods don't work without carbon rods (which would be odd as most people don't have them on basses), they shouldn't come without them.

a pain in the hoop, I admit, but if you love the bass that much, you’d pay it if they can’t agree to a compromise.... I would

I wouldn't pay a manufacturer to get another neck if the neck failed due to their issues in the first place, however much I loved the bass!

What I mean is that a messed up truss doesn’t mean the bass is good for landfill. 

No, clearly not, just a lot less value than it had.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

If the truss rods don't work without carbon rods (which would be odd as most people don't have them on basses), they shouldn't come without them.

I wouldn't pay a manufacturer to get another neck if the neck failed due to their issues in the first place, however much I loved the bass!

No, clearly not, just a lot less value than it had.

How can one prove that a truss rod issue is a manufacturing issue? And not the consequence of some mis-usage? It is impossible, it’s usually your word against theirs.... 

36 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

How can one prove that a truss rod issue is a manufacturing issue? And not the consequence of some mis-usage? It is impossible, it’s usually your word against theirs.... 

You assume serious truss rod fails early on are so rare for any manufacturer they will fix on goodwill, not debate blame with their customer.  

*Not saying Maruszczyk don’t do this btw, have not trawled past examples 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Drax said:

You assume serious truss rod fails early on are so rare for any manufacturer they will fix on goodwill, not debate blame with their customer.  

*Not saying Maruszczyk don’t do this btw, have not trawled past examples 

Even if we had dozens of documented failures, we'd need to compare them to the failure rate of another manufacturer to do a fair comparison (we'd need an idea of sales vs. breakages for both). I think yee are right about reinforced necks - takes some of the unpredictability of wood out of the system.

2 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

True, although that can be said for many things, how can I prove my ibanez headstock split on its own and I didn't just heat it up and put a chisel in it? Luckily I didn't. However, in this case there is glue on the threads. OK it is possible the user did that afterwards but unlikely. - some times you just have to go on likelyhood.

• Like 1

Ok, I’ll share the credits with you mate.... although, would you have posted that pic if I hadn’t mentioned matte metallic finishes? :D

Anyways, I’m glad that Adrian went from “what’s the point, doesn’t look good”, to making it an official option available for everyone to choose. As I said, I might not even go for it (booooo) but at least I know it’s there, on the configurator. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

So I’m a good 6 years late to the buzz around these basses. Lol

However I have been intrigued by the possibility of building a Wal-alike (in as much as it is possible) without paying Wal or even ACG prices. 

This Talkbass thread caught my eye. 

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/nbd-maruszczyk-jazzus-custom-walbucker-w-noll.1536870/

And the video showing the bass within that thread *really* caught my interest. 

The Noll TCM 3P preamp in the video is intriguing. I’m not yet sure about committing to a filter preamp like the ACG EQ01, which is the obvious alternative, though the ACG and the Walbuckers would probably nail the Wal sound. But the video above definitely gets into Wal territory as it is. 

So now I find myself using the configurator….

B64CCDE3-B1EF-44F6-8F63-BDBC17976AA3.thumb.png.dff895451f2e604f7fd039ce3b69e8c5.png

I think I have what I want just about pinned down. Maybe spalted maple instead of the flame maple. Just have to work out the preamp…an ACG pre is going to be a bit of a wait to get and is a totally different way of working…though would probably get me closest to the Wal sound. Hmm. 

Edited by funkle
  • Like 1

What's the longest anyone here has had to wait until their couch shot?

I ask because I'm now into my 17th week, waiting on my Elwood. [Nothing fancy; all specced via the configurator.]

Seems ridiculous to get antsy about a custom built instrument after a mere 4 months... but I've seen so many posters get their couch shots around the 10-12 week mark that it's set my expectations a bit.

Any owners here had to wait longer?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simisker said:

I ask because I'm now into my 17th week, waiting on my Elwood. [Nothing fancy; all specced via the configurator.]

Seems ridiculous to get antsy about a custom built instrument after a mere 4 months... but I've seen so many posters get their couch shots around the 10-12 week mark that it's set my expectations a bit.

Mine ranged from 10 to 13wks pre-covid but all the shortages and disruption caused by the pandemic won't help.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, simisker said:

I was fairly lucky that I received my couch pic for my Jake 30" exactly at the 8 week mark a week ago. It is currently on its way to me here in Las Vegas. My last build for my Elwood was right at 10 weeks.

image0.jpeg

Edited by TK4261
added info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heh! Tk, it was seeing your gorgeous and ultra-quick couch shot on Talkbass that ramped up my unease :D

I can only assume that there's something in my build that is currently hard to get hold of. I know gold hardware isn't as popular as it once was, so maybe that's it. 🤷‍♂️

It doesn't help that it's now getting close to the manic and delay-likely Christmas postage period.

Oh well, just gotta be patient, I guess! Thanks, folks :)

• Like 2

On 21/11/2021 at 13:55, simisker said:

Heh! Tk, it was seeing your gorgeous and ultra-quick couch shot on Talkbass that ramped up my unease :D

I can only assume that there's something in my build that is currently hard to get hold of. I know gold hardware isn't as popular as it once was, so maybe that's it. 🤷‍♂️

It doesn't help that it's now getting close to the manic and delay-likely Christmas postage period.

Oh well, just gotta be patient, I guess! Thanks, folks :)

Hey man , as a dealer for Adrian and dealing worldwide for custom orders on and off. I can tell you that supply chains have been savaged by COVID. Just about most and any company have had issues of some sort with production. 

patience will be the key. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1