Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

1 hour ago, rasher80 said:

I ordered mine on Feb 12th and it arrived on Apr 30th

That's good! I remember they had a period when lead times were a bit longer and they were moving to another wrkshop etc. I thought they were getting busier and that it was the end of the 10-week wait. It looks like it's still very similar. 

• Like 1

Hi all,

Great to see this Maruszczyk thread going well!

Thinking of getting one of these basses but just want to ask whether it was easy to send the bass back if there’s a fault with it? Sorry to sound negative but as I was browsing through the pages I noticed a few people had issues with their orders (bad neck, cheap screws and forgotten options are the ones I read). As you all agree £1,500k+ is quite an investment so just wondering if it was easy to communicate and send the bass back if any fault. It’s not like I can just pick up the phone and call a place I ordered from in UK.

For the people who had a dodgy bass, did they cover the shipping back to Poland?

Thanks

Edited by erisu

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

That's good! I remember they had a period when lead times were a bit longer and they were moving to another wrkshop etc. I thought they were getting busier and that it was the end of the 10-week wait. It looks like it's still very similar. 

Adrian quoted me 12-15 weeks initially but around halfway into it I received an email saying the custom shop was closed to new orders but existing orders were to be completed. This may or may not have helped to speed the build up.

Even still it's an impressive turnaround for a custom instrument

Edited by rasher80
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, erisu said:

Hi all,

Thinking of getting one of these basses but just want to ask whether it was easy to send the bass back if there’s a fault with it? Sorry to sound negative but as I was browsing through the pages I noticed a few people had issues with their orders (bad neck, cheap screws and forgotten options are the ones I read). As you all agree £1,500k+ is quite an investment so just wondering if it was easy to communicate and send the bass back if any fault. It’s not like I can just pick up the phone and call a place I ordered from in UK.

For the people who had a dodgy bass, did they cover the shipping back to Poland?

Thanks

Depending where you are, I believe Adrian has an arrangement with some bass outlets to carry out repairs if required (The Gallery did some work on a new Jake for someone I know).

51 minutes ago, erisu said:

Hi all,

Thanks

FWIW, I've got no complaints about mine. The fit and finish is flawless and it sounds and plays great. 

As an aside, thanks to @wateroftyne for advice on the pickups. I'm glad I opted for the Maruszczyk HB over the Haeussel stacked J at the bridge. I love how in your face it is!! 

I was playing it this morning and actually found me dialling in a lot of the HB over the P pickup!

3 hours ago, erisu said:

I noticed a few people had issues with their orders (bad neck, cheap screws and forgotten options are the ones I read). As you all agree £1,500k+ is quite an investment so just wondering if it was easy to communicate and send the bass back if any fault.

I was one mentioning the cheap screws. I didn't send mine back  although I did talk to him about it. I replaced the broken screws myself anyway, I wouldn't have sent a bass back for that.

Whilst not defending any less than ‘quality’ craftsmanship, I think it should remembered that instruments of this level from other sources (not just the US) are quite a bit more moolah. I guess that, in addition to the location of the  factory, some cheaper components is how the cost is kept down.

7 minutes ago, aguacollas said:

I had forgotten how much fun is the configurator. I don’t need more basses but I would like to have one like this one with me. 

A9C50094-5FDA-40C9-B7DD-C390B6E0A0B2.jpeg

Nice. I bet the final total for that was a bit eye watering.

16 hours ago, ezbass said:

Whilst not defending any less than ‘quality’ craftsmanship, I think it should remembered that instruments of this level from other sources (not just the US) are quite a bit more moolah. I guess that, in addition to the location of the  factory, some cheaper components is how the cost is kept down.

Not sure about that, there are literally 10 screws on it, not sure there are big savings to be had there

1 hour ago, aguacollas said:

I had forgotten how much fun is the configurator. I don’t need more basses but I would like to have one like this one with me. 

A9C50094-5FDA-40C9-B7DD-C390B6E0A0B2.jpeg

Ooooh feck. That is very nice....

24 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Not sure about that, there are literally 10 screws on it, not sure there are big savings to be had there

The standard bridges have also come in for some criticism in the past (not from me) and the standard pots and knobs probably aren't quite premium either. A penny here, a penny there, etc. 

To be clear, I haven't had any issues with the hardware on my three.

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

The standard bridges have also come in for some criticism in the past (not from me) and the standard pots and knobs probably aren't quite premium either. A penny here, a penny there, etc. 

The bridge is fine, the knobs are also fine, although I wouldn't really complain about the knobs anyway, if they are poor I can change them without a risk of damage to the bass!

• Like 1

I like playing on the configurator, selecting the most expensive options each time, just to see how ridiculously expensive / garishly pimped up I can get it...no intention of buying, but it idles some lockdown time away...🙄🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ezbass said:

There are places to cut down costs, and places where you don't. It's not a multimillion instrument operation, the savings are not that significant. Hell, charge me an extra tenner and use screws that are not an alloy of iron and cheese.

I enjoyed my three Maruszczyks (now down to just one), and those screws were insanely bad. I broke off a pickup mounting screw without much effort: I started applying force and it was hard, then gently started to give way... only it wasn't being unscrewed, it was the screw being twisted, and it quickly sheared off leaving me to remove the bit of screw with a lot of swearing.

Really, Maruszczyk, you make some really cool instruments, don't spoil it for the sake of a few pennies.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

To be clear, I haven't had any issues with the hardware on my three.

Pots are not the best, standard tuners and bridge I can see they're not top dollar items, but they do the job (only had one with standard hardware, basses 2 and 3 I specified different hardware). I really have no issue at all with any of these... but screws... ugh. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mcnach said:

There are places to cut down costs, and places where you don't. It's not a multimillion instrument operation, the savings are not that significant. Hell, charge me an extra tenner and use screws that are not an alloy of iron and cheese.

Really, Maruszczyk, you make some really cool instruments, don't spoil it for the sake of a few pennies.

Yes, exactly the same here. I paid €1430 for mine. If the question had been would you pay €1440 and not have spend an afternoon hoping that your friend who had a clue about woodwork would be able to get the remains of the strap lock screw without too much damage because you wanted to put strap locks on and didn't realise you weren't supposed to use a screwdriver on the screws as they were just decorative,  I would say, yeh, sure!

Seriously, it is a lovely instrument and that sort of thing puts a cloud over it. It wouldn't have happened on an ACG or similar, and my ACG was cheaper than that.

• Like 3

I've been tinkering with my Elwood L fretless of late. I added clear scratchplate some time ago, but recently made that into a tort one by adding some thin celluloid behind the p/g. I've also added a DIY thumb rest made from dowel and painted with nail varnish.

IMG_1678.JPG

I've started to notice a tiny, tiny ridge between the neck and fingerboard; I guess the ebony has shrunk a tad. Doesn't affect the playability, I just know it's there. Still love this bass and it is definitely my go to. Weighs next to nothing (3.2k IIRC).

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 6