Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

3 hours ago, burno70 said:

Hey - I come up with this exact bass (save the pups) on the configurator the other week! Noice!

Thanks - certainly works for me even tho I can't take any credit for the design.  Glad you didn't patent it - or did you? 😧

• 2 weeks later...

Just been trying to get myself up to speed on what the various bass options for Maruszczyk basses are but couldn't easily find a side by side comparison of what was available; so I took the liberty of cutting and pasting from their website to pull something together for myself. Sharing this here in case it's of use / interest to other folk (and apologies if this has been done multiple times already!)

Maruszczyk basses.png

Bear in mind that up until recently the way of ordering a Maruszczyk involved emailing them with some specs you wanted and getting something build, so there are a large amount of variations on a theme.

For instance, mine is an elwood, and if I had to pick one it would be closer to the Elwood L24 than the others, but it isn't necessarily one, it is just a chambered lightweight 24 fret elwood P/JJ

Just spent the past hour noodling on a short scale Elwood. What a great wee bass - only thing I didn't like was it got a bit farty down the low end if you didn't play really lightly. To others with short scale Maruszczyks - do you find this or could it be the specific strings that were on it?

Ta

Edited by BassApprentice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 04/07/2019 at 21:46, CameronJ said:

Played a Jake L4pj today at The Bass Gallery. Finished in a rich metallic ocean green colour with a white guard - more green than “ocean turquoise” but certainly in that ballpark colour-wise

Frankly, I was blown away by the playability and the SOUND. My god. Lots of output, proper barky Precision tone with the P pup solo’d and was able to blend the J in to taste with the passive V/V/T wiring. And - very importantly for me - a tone pot which was useable across the entire sweep of the knob. To top it all off it weighed next to nothing too as it’s a chambered construction. Sub - 8lbs! It felt like it had rolled fingerboard edges too. Hardware/pickups seemed to be of the standard Maruszczyk variety and all looked and felt top notch.

Suffice to say if the shop wasn’t closing I could have sat with it for a good while longer...at under a grand I had to give my wallet a serious pep talk.

I may well be about to take delivery of this very bass!  

I believe it has had an owner since you tried it but I'm confident it's the same one.  ;)

Here's my two Jakes. A P/J V and a P/MM V. Both chambered and weighing in at around 7lbs each. The only fault I can find is that I'm not a massive fan of the look of the Delano pickups big poles on the red P/MM, but otherwise they are probably amongst the best basses (especially the sunburst one. That one just edges in front of the red one) that I have ever played (the light weight does help a lot too).

62B1D167-B1E9-48AE-8270-CCCFCA2FD2E9.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I was tempted by the Haeussels - is there much in the difference? I couldn't pick much between them from your YT clips (but my ears are knackered!)

Both great pickups. IME, the Haeussel P was a little more polite.

The bridge pickup in my Sunburst (with the Haeussels) was a split-coil J, which sounded 'traditional PJ'.

The Maruszczyk fat humbucker is a different beast entirely.. a high output punch monster.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Both great pickups. IME, the Haeussel P was a little more polite.

The bridge pickup in my Sunburst (with the Haeussels) was a split-coil J, which sounded 'traditional PJ'.

The Maruszczyk fat humbucker is a different beast entirely.. a high output punch monster.

That is really interesting actually as it doesn't make it clear that the Haeussel is a split-coil J.

The humbucker is what I want - that'll be in your Valley Green Jake if I'm not mistaken

Reckon if I was ever going to place an order it would look something like this - 32" 5 string coming in at £1,700 😅 

I have played a short scale Elwood and it felt great but was just a bit too small, reckon the 32" is perfect. Wish I had got in on the Maruszczyk action when they were more affordable! 

Elwood L.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Reckon if I was ever going to place an order it would look something like this - 32" 5 string coming in at £1,700 😅 

I have played a short scale Elwood and it felt great but was just a bit too small, reckon the 32" is perfect. Wish I had got in on the Maruszczyk action when they were more affordable! 

Elwood L.png

Man that configurator is a dangerous thing.

My 2 Elwoods are both 33" scale (41mm nut) and the difference that inch makes, given my hand size, is remarkable, everything just falls to my fingers so naturally, especially the fretless.

On 03/09/2019 at 19:54, Woodinblack said:

Bear in mind that up until recently the way of ordering a Maruszczyk involved emailing them with some specs you wanted and getting something build, so there are a large amount of variations on a theme.

For instance, mine is an elwood, and if I had to pick one it would be closer to the Elwood L24 than the others, but it isn't necessarily one, it is just a chambered lightweight 24 fret elwood P/JJ

Yeah, it's worth remembering that they do things that aren't on the configurator. Mine was configurated as a start and then had a couple of extra things to make it perfect.

1 minute ago, adamg67 said:

Yeah, it's worth remembering that they do things that aren't on the configurator. Mine was configurated as a start and then had a couple of extra things to make it perfect.

Yep - I specified the neck profile and a non-raked headstock w/string tree for mine.

On 15/01/2020 at 14:36, BassApprentice said:

There's a four-string 32" Jake on eBay, £850:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maruszczyk-Instruments-Jake-4p-32-Scale-Bass-w-Soft-Case/174158837257

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I fancied a bit of a change scratchplate wise and rather than splash out £40 or so on a custom p/g, I thought I'd give 'making' one myself by placing a thin tort one behind the existing clear one. I'm very pleased with the result and it only cost me £12.50. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XPP9ZJ3/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1 

P1020154 2.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

It's sticky backed so could also fit over the top of an opaque one.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3