Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Just bought some 5 string Maruszczyk Nickels from Bass Direct. Nicely priced at £25. 

I might have to look into those on my PJV. I normally use DR Sunbeams, but at about £55 a go they can get a bit expensive after a while.

19 minutes ago, pierreganseman said:

That's because there's a DR distributor keeping price high in UK. Probably cheaper to buy Abroad.

Wise words. Just looked on Thomann and a 5 string set of medium gauge Sunbeams are £39.45

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, pierreganseman said:

That's because there's a DR distributor keeping price high in UK. Probably cheaper to buy Abroad.

Before I moved to Newtone strings I used DRs most of the time, I always got mine from these guys >>

https://www.ebay.com/str/Bass-Specialties/

Don't think I ever paid much more than £30 including shipping from the US for a 6 string set. Never got stung for any import tax either, unlike when I bought some custom La Bellas, but all that might be down to the package value maybe?

Still, even with tax they're still cheaper than buying in the UK. Madness...

Eude

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eude said:

Before I moved to Newtone strings I used DRs most of the time, I always got mine from these guys >>

https://www.ebay.com/str/Bass-Specialties/

Don't think I ever paid much more than £30 including shipping from the US for a 6 string set. Never got stung for any import tax either, unlike when I bought some custom La Bellas, but all that might be down to the package value maybe?

Still, even with tax they're still cheaper than buying in the UK. Madness...

Eude

Yes , that's cause there's a Local Distributor who keeps prices high.

I've heard of shops / colleagues who I won't name buying from USA and bypassing them as their prices are ridiculously high in UK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m having the temptation to go for a custom Elwood 4. My only concern is about the lack of string tree/retainer. I guess Adrian and his team know what they’re doing; but have you guys felt the need for one of those, or is the headstock angle enough to stop strings from rattling/buzzing?

4 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

I’m having the temptation to go for a custom Elwood 4. My only concern is about the lack of string tree/retainer. I guess Adrian and his team know what they’re doing; but have you guys felt the need for one of those, or is the headstock angle enough to stop strings from rattling/buzzing?

The headstock angle is fine, but it’s also a good idea to wind as much string on a peg as possible, so the string is at the bottom maximising the break angle.

Great basses though - can’t fault either of my two.

9 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

My current Jake has a retainer as the headstock isn't raked back, but I've owned another two without, and it wasn't an issue. There's plenty of tension.

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sorry to be the neg here, you can see somewhere back on this thread, the break angle wasn't enough and there was no string retainer. If I am not careful how I wind my strings, I will get a string rattle.

If its this one, it doesn't appear to be raked at all. That one shouldn't have left the workshop without a retainer.

The 'proper' raked headstocks are very obviously tilted back, and don't need a retainer.

• Like 2

On a slightly different note, I fitted some Maruszczyk Nickels on my Dingwall Super P5 a week or so ago (from Bass Direct) and can honestly say that after a day or two of being a bit too bright sounding, they’ve mellowed down nicely and feel really lovely to play. Great tension for me - not too stiff, not too loose. Much prefer them to the set of D’addario NYXLs that I fitted and then removed within 10 minutes! This is all subjective, of course.

Edited by CameronJ

Wot, no sofa shot?!

http://IMG-5501.jpg

The 'official' Adrian sofa shot would have cost an extra 500 quid compared to what I paid J Jay for the above as advertised on the FS forum.  Delivery time much better on this one too 😊  It's a short-scale Elwood with hi-mass bridge (not sure which) and SD pup upgrades btw.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Wot, no sofa shot?!

The 'official' Adrian sofa shot would have cost an extra 500 quid compared to what I paid J Jay for the above as advertised on the FS forum.  Delivery time much better on this one too 😊  It's a short-scale Elwood with hi-mass bridge (not sure which) and SD pup upgrades btw.

I saw this and had a bit of a wobble. Even though I'm not a maple board kind if guy. Sublime instruments these. Looks beautiful and I bet it plays beautifully too. 

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I saw this and had a bit of a wobble. Even though I'm not a maple board kind if guy. Sublime instruments these. Looks beautiful and I bet it plays beautifully too. 

Hi Stewie!  Playability-wise, it's as close to Mervyn (my Andyjr-modified Fender Rascal) as makes no difference.  Doesn't have the same 3-pup/7-position switching versatility though.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:00, scrumpymike said:

Wot, no sofa shot?!

Hey - I come up with this exact bass (save the pups) on the configurator the other week! Noice!