Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

6 hours ago, Merton said:

I just found it a bit average, it didn’t feel any better than my knackered cheap Vester Jazz. It could have just been the situation, and I’m certainly not ruling out trying more, but I just didn’t “get” it. Much prefer my ACGs!

I will be getting a more traditional flavoured bass later this year but it’ll be a UK built custom beast instead and VERY competitively priced vs an equivalent Elwood L 😎

I hate to say it but I had similar feelings the last time I tried a Maruszczyk. Think it may have been the LBGS too. And to echo the above quote, the basses I tried at the ACG booth were simply exquisite by comparison.

A large part of it may well have been down to set up but, on any custom bass, surely it shouldn’t be seeing public exposire before being set up properly?

Edited by CameronJ

19 hours ago, Merton said:

I just found it a bit average, it didn’t feel any better than my knackered cheap Vester Jazz. It could have just been the situation, and I’m certainly not ruling out trying more, but I just didn’t “get” it. Much prefer my ACGs!

I will be getting a more traditional flavoured bass later this year but it’ll be a UK built custom beast instead and VERY competitively priced vs an equivalent Elwood L 😎

Might have been the situation - after playing a truckload of basses over 30+ years, I think my Elwood 5 is the most comfortable to play bass I've ever owned! 

Who would be the UK manufacturer that would do that custom build for what sounds like a much cheaper price than an Elwood L? Genuinely interested to know!!

I think it is probably down to individual instruments and peoples reactions to them. My Elwood L is very comfortable, but then I spec'd the neck on that. I find my ibanez Premium more comfortable though. 

Some people get on with other instruments, why it is always a good idea to try one. I didn't actually try mine before I bought it, but I figured it was jazz shaped and I don't have a problem with that, so I guess I was lucky, I have been less lucky with other instruments.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:45, Wilco said:

It's back on eBay!! The BGM award winning bass.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132586830399

Another high quality well worded ad by the seller.

At least they haven't called it an Elwood this time......

And now it's mine, delivered in person by Simon yesterday; I nearly bought it a few weeks ago following a bit of cheeky best offering, but I didn't follow through, but the price came down and the gas could not be resisted - I did suggest to him he put it for sale on here as there's love for them here, he was going to take it back to BD but didn't and kept on trying to sell it the bay

OMG it's lovely 😃 understatement

and light 😍

I will be selling most of my other instruments now, this is it, no more buying, gas cured : )

and I will practice more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

And now it's mine, delivered in person by Simon yesterday; I nearly bought it a few weeks ago following a bit of cheeky best offering, but I didn't follow through, but the price came down and the gas could not be resisted - I did suggest to him he put it for sale on here as there's love for them here, he was going to take it back to BD but didn't and kept on trying to sell it the bay

OMG it's lovely 😃 understatement

and light 😍

I will be selling most of my other instruments now, this is it, no more buying, gas cured : )

and I will practice more

Yep, it’s a really lovely bass. I happened to be in Bass Direct as it was being unboxed and reviewed. Had a little play and it felt very nice! Enjoy :D

Have this little beauty for a few months now so time to post a pic or two... I wanted a light weight Precision due to having alot of shoulder and neck pain recently and I found this nice demo at the Bass Freaks online store with a good discount... its only 3.1kg (6.8lbs) so feels like wearing fresh air... simple passive no frills P bass with Delano pickup... sounds great, plenty of bite and bark but can do old school really well too with flats... I've become the regular bassist for a busy blues band and this is the perfect bass for the job... its so light and comfortable to play that I'm finding myself grabbing it now for all my other gigs as well (pop & rock covers mostly)... overall I'm very impressed with this lovely instrument, I never thought I'd buy a red bass but I must admit its really grown on me 🙂

Maruszczyk Jake Precision.jpg

Maruszczyk Jake Precision body.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tradfusion said:

Have this little beauty for a few months now so time to post a pic or two... I wanted a light weight Precision due to having alot of shoulder and neck pain recently and I found this nice demo at the Bass Freaks online store with a good discount... its only 3.1kg (6.8lbs) so feels like wearing fresh air... simple passive no frills P bass with Delano pickup... sounds great, plenty of bite and bark but can do old school really well too with flats... I've become the regular bassist for a busy blues band and this is the perfect bass for the job... its so light and comfortable to play that I'm finding myself grabbing it now for all my other gigs as well (pop & rock covers mostly)... overall I'm very impressed with this lovely instrument, I never thought I'd buy a red bass but I must admit its really grown on me 🙂

Very nice! How was your experience shopping with Bass Freaks? I’ve never even thought to check them out but it looks like they have some very tasty gear on offer.

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Very nice! How was your experience shopping with Bass Freaks? I’ve never even thought to check them out but it looks like they have some very tasty gear on offer.

Great experience... Pierre is a gent, answers emails or FB messages almost immediately... he threw in a really nice Maruszczyk padded leather strap and two sets of new strings (one flats) for me as part of the deal... packing and shipping were first class... he is also affiliated to Bass Direct Japan if you fancy some of their basses... genuinely highly recommended 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tradfusion said:

Great experience... Pierre is a gent, answers emails or FB messages almost immediately... he threw in a really nice Maruszczyk padded leather strap and two sets of new strings (one flats) for me as part of the deal... packing and shipping were first class... he is also affiliated to Bass Direct Japan if you fancy some of their basses... genuinely highly recommended 🙂

Great stuff. Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Hi , yeah... I :) ! We are all only humans but I can honestly say i try 110% to match people's expectations.

Dave's bass was actually Ex demo due to finding a scratch on it (god dammit I hate when that happens....) before concluding the deal.

That being said i'm sure some people would send out hoping he'd not see it and then go "oh really?" but I care too much about my rep as a seller to even think to risk that.

His bass was the lightest normal scale i've ever had in stock. Most Maruszczyk passive are about 3,5 kilo. 

I've just sold a 32 inch Chambered J that went below 3 kilo. Which is pretty outstanding.

cheers

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, pierreganseman said:

Hi , yeah... I :) ! We are all only humans but I can honestly say i try 110% to match people's expectations.

Dave's bass was actually Ex demo due to finding a scratch on it (god dammit I hate when that happens....) before concluding the deal.

That being said i'm sure some people would send out hoping he'd not see it and then go "oh really?" but I care too much about my rep as a seller to even think to risk that.

His bass was the lightest normal scale i've ever had in stock. Most Maruszczyk passive are about 3,5 kilo. 

I've just sold a 32 inch Chambered J that went below 3 kilo. Which is pretty outstanding.

cheers

I’ve been staring at this for a while...

34061149-6B2C-4042-8ABC-2E743C47F143.jpeg.b03eb717d94dee003a7a607819c6c29c.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tradfusion said:

I had this model from Bass Direct for a very short time (couldn't afford it & had to give it back)- just a great instrument. Bit me baaaaaad with the Maryszczk GAS!

• Like 1

I played my mate's newly acquired green Jazzus last night. Seriously, what a bass! So comfy to play, the neck is nice and slim. Never heard of Lace pups before but it produced a lovely warm tone. I need a Jazzus in my life now! Not on the configurator though!

• 2 weeks later...

Well sadly I have had to email Adrian and ask him to take my Elwood 5C back and either rebuild it from scratch or give me a full refund. The build quality has been a huge disappointment and I've just noticed a big circular lump has appeared under the paint on the rear of the body. Also the shaping of the cutaway on the back and the rounding of the back edge is very uneven. 

My gripes are:

1. Circular lump has appeared on the back

2. Neck pocket has significant gaps around it

3. The luminlays (which were retro fitted after they missed them on the spec sheet) look like they were fitted by a child

4. The refinish of the neck (after retrofitting luminlays) looks like it's been filed away where the fretboard starts in order to remove overspray.

5. There is wood texture noticeable through the paint.

6. The body shaping is uneven in places.

We will have to wait and see how Adrian responds but I'm hoping he will accept that this isn't up to standard and do the right thing.

Pics can be seen here https://photos.app.goo.gl/LEiDaguYHFM6b3XB7

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Oh yes, that is pretty poor, wonder what that circle is? I get those in the garden!

The luminays just look like stick on dots.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the luminlays look like stick on dots.

In all fairness Adrian has replied to my email within 5 minutes and agreed to take it back and look at the issues. He has said that if it can't be sorted to my satisfaction I can have a refund. I'm impressed with his response. 

Oh wow. The luminlays don’t look good at all. The raised lump on the rear looks like it might be a knot in the wood which hasn’t been sealed??

Glad he’s accepted your complaints and is dealing with it. It’s definitely gonna have to be a rebuild methinks - too much effort to undo and redo, surely!

48 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the luminlays look like stick on dots.

In all fairness Adrian has replied to my email within 5 minutes and agreed to take it back and look at the issues. He has said that if it can't be sorted to my satisfaction I can have a refund. I'm impressed with his response. 

Unfortunately that does seem to look like a 'Friday afternoon' bass doesn't it. Those neck pocket gaps are very Fenderesque! 

With any manufactured product anywhere, there's bound to be examples of where production hasn't gone right, & to my mind when that happens the response of the manufacturer is key.

In the circumstances, that's a great response from Adrian - if it were me, I'd spec a different bass from him & haggle a decent discount for the inconvenience!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Unfortunately that does seem to look like a 'Friday afternoon' bass doesn't it. Those neck pocket gaps are very Fenderesque! 

With any manufactured product anywhere, there's bound to be examples of where production hasn't gone right, & to my mind when that happens the response of the manufacturer is key.

In the circumstances, that's a great response from Adrian - if it were me, I'd spec a different bass from him & haggle a decent discount for the inconvenience!!

Yeah his response has been very good so far. I'd be perfectly happy to have the exact same spec but just without any of the issues.