Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1507383232' post='3385103']
Can only agree - it is lovely.

OK, just placed my order. Classic Jake 5 string, black with black pickguard, birdseye maple neck/board and headstock plus carbon rods. Delano pups, Chrome Hipshot B bridge and Ultralite tuners. Luminlay side dots. Should have done this 2 years ago!! Excitement mounts!!
[/quote]Good man! Did you mock it up in the configurator? If so, you know the rules, pic ;) I didn't have rods in my fretless which needs adjusting hardly ever so I didn't for the fretted. However, the fretted one has needed a fair amount of adjusting by comparison (just tiny movements on the truss rod back and forth), but has settled down now.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1507383232' post='3385103']
Can only agree - it is lovely.

OK, just placed my order. Classic Jake 5 string, black with black pickguard, birdseye maple neck/board and headstock plus carbon rods. Delano pups, Chrome Hipshot B bridge and Ultralite tuners. Luminlay side dots. Should have done this 2 years ago!! Excitement mounts!!
[/quote]

Did you order directly from Public Peace or via Bass Direct? And I don't know if anyone else considers this, but did you haggle?

I'm Scottish of course, so I have the genetic imperative that demands haggle as a matter of instinct.

The only ones who haggle are the Americans. They're the only ones making offers below dealer price on a very regular basis.

Last one offered me 1240 USD on a 2000 USD Elwood I have in stock. And then gets sort of offended when i turn him and starts PM's me on Reverb swearing he's gonna give it a good home....

Actually not even "haggling" in my books , just plain rude and offensive

Edited by pierreganseman

Speaking of money transfer, I recently got my annual credit card paper statement and was puzzled by over £100-worth of fees for cash advances in the last 12 months. I've queried this with my card company and they tell me the charges all relate to 4 forex payments made through Transferwise for the 2 basses I bought from Adrian. When I explained that these were Euro purchases I was told that they had been presented by Transferwise as cash advances. I haven't taken this up with Transferwise yet but am posting now to flag it up to anyone who may be about to do the same. Also, I'd be interested to hear the experiences of anybody else who has already done it. Point is that Transferwise promote their service as being far cheaper than the high-street banks - but it certainly hasn't been for me! (That'll teach me to pay more attention to my monthly online c-c statements :unsure: )

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1509193334' post='3397243']
Got a couple of questions: What is the difference between a Jake and a Jake L? Is it correct to assume a 34" scale unless otherwise stated? Thanks.
[/quote]

Weight I believe. L is for light. My Ewood L practically floats.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1509193334' post='3397243']
Got a couple of questions: What is the difference between a Jake and a Jake L? Is it correct to assume a 34" scale unless otherwise stated? Thanks.
[/quote]

Lightness achieved by a chambered body. Not sure whether other weight-saving measures are part of the standard L spec; my Elwood L also has lightweight tuners and alu bridge but I spec'd those. Re standard scale length of a Jake L, I believe it's 34" but check on the Public Peace website, where the description of each model clearly states what's available scale-wise.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1509217732' post='3397417']
What pickup would give me the closest to old school/Motown?
[/quote]

The ‘vintage copy’ Aguilars worth a look, both single coil and split. They do a 1960’s and ‘70s version.

60’s split coil, passive, with flats - would be getting you close

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1509300916' post='3397901']
I was contemplating going for a USA Lakland next time, as I wanted a five string P. Then they got back to me on prices.

Another Jake it is I think...
[/quote]

USA Laklands aren't cheap that's for sure!! Excellent though.

Si