Why become a member? ×

Best bass rig you ever had ?

jonnythenotes

This might have been the SVT, however this pic is over 40 years old so it's hard to tell. You can't see much of it. That's my Gibson EB-3, I think I swapped it for a 1957 pre-CBS P Bass. I remember that EB-3 being a pretty decent bass.

Blue

Edited by blue

I used to love my 78 USA Precision through a Trace Elliot Twin Valve into a Mesa Boogie 1516E cab, it sounded immense but weighed a ton, nowadays it's a Stingray through an Ampeg Pro 7 SVT and a couple of Mark Bass cabs, yeah it sounds great but I think I still prefer the older set up

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1422292927' post='2670786']
Probably this, but by the time I had set it up at the gig I was too knackered to play anything and that's if I could still stand up!

All sold now and shipped to various parts of the globe.

[center][/center]
[/quote]what a beautiful looking beast

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1422226790' post='2670191']
My current rig is my fav. EBS TD650 into an EBS Neoline 210 and 212. Very flexible setup.
[/quote]
If I didn't need a tiltback set up, this is what I would have gone for.

I've already answered this question on a previous topic.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/252550-do-some-amps-suit-certain-types-of-instrument/page__fromsearch__1

My current one is the best I've put together over the years.

A USA Fender P bass, through a Little Mark III head into an Aguilar GS410 cab.

The sound coming out does strange things to me….

The cab (purchased from Basschat) is a weighty old bugger tho, so more often than not its my Schroeder 1210 (purchased from Basschat too!) which comes to gigs, and that's a monster-sounding cab considering its size.

Edited by bassbiscuits

My current one. Puma 500, 2 x Markbass 210 Traveler P's.
Light, VERY simple and fabulous :)

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0705_zpsb266c01d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0705_zpsb266c01d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Best sounding rig was the SVP Pro and matching power amp through aHartke Hydrive 410 cab. weighed half a metric tonne and was a pig to maintain due to the problems I had with my SVP at the time. I had to buy a replacement transformer for it and had my local valve techie guy fit it, but it was never the same after that.

Currently my SWR SM400 (with the 'aural enhancer' scoop defeated) is plenty loud enough, and most of my EQing comes from pedals etc… anyway, so I could probably get away with using a dedicated power amp. I've kept the Hydrive though 'cos it's shiny and punchy and all them other words.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1422286373' post='2670682']
I haven't read through this thread but I'm assuming the previous 41 posts is everyone saying their current rig is the best they have ever heard?
[/quote]

In my case, it is the best rig I've had, though that's not to say that the Berg AE112s might not have sounded even better with the EA iAmp800 I used to have. In fact, I'd say that the EA iAmp800 and Tech Soundsystems ND410S was also a formidable rig.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1422286373' post='2670682']
I haven't read through this thread but I'm assuming the previous 41 posts is everyone saying their current rig is the best they have ever heard?
[/quote]

The market for bass amps at the moment is the best it has ever been. Build quality is very high, reliability, efficiency, price, portability, variety...there's an amp for every type of player. The only problem is that there is so much to choose from.

Love my current rig for sound, portability, cut in the mix, looks and just about anything else. It's a definite keeper.

Tecamp Black Jag 500. into a TechSondsysems ND 2x12.
Sometimes use a Genz Streaminer 600 (sonic equivalent of hot chocolate).

My trusty old Stingray 4 (recently fitted with John East preamp) or Lakland 55 01 (Soon to be fitted with John East preamp).

Board consists of Korg Pitchblack, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser, Catalinbread SFT, TC Electonics Nova Dynamics, MXR Octaver, Markbass SuperBooster and a Ditto Looper.

Have to rely on pedals now for GAS control!

Am I weird or something?

My best rig is no rig at all!! Turn up, plug in to the Fishman P Pro (DB) / Zoom 9.1 (BG) and play...

If I *must* then the best rig is my current rig (BF Midget T and or Compact + Ashdown LG previous pre amps as required).

My current one:

Ibanez SR605
[i]or[/i]
Ibanez GWB35

[b][i] Into[/i][/b]

Marshall DBS7400
[i]or[/i]
Markbass LMIII

[b][i] Into[/i][/b]

Vanderkley 112MNT

[i]and/or[/i]

Musicman HD212 (2x12 + 1x8)

Favourite sound is probably the Marshall into the Musicman Cab, but the LMIII into the Vanderkley is very close, and is so much more practical.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1422353999' post='2671427']
Am I weird or something?

My best rig is no rig at all!! Turn up, plug in to the Fishman P Pro (DB) / Zoom 9.1 (BG) and play...

If I *must* then the best rig is my current rig (BF Midget T and or Compact + Ashdown LG previous pre amps as required).
[/quote]

You're not weird at all. I'm more than happy to stick my Sansamp BDDI through a decent PA and just use an amp as a stage monitor. With a really good PA it 's the sound/tone I like best by far.

Not that I've owned much gear but the current rig - Eden WT800 and D210 + D212 XLT cabinets. The tone just works perfectly for me and I've not played any other rigs that give me such a good feeling. The combination of 10's and 12's works better than just one cab alone.

Can't say that I feel the same for my electric guitar gear though - a choice of five guitars, two valve amps and three cabinets and I can never settle on a tone that's just right with any combination.

I think I'm quite conservative. I've been running the same rig for about 10-12 years now with the only significant addition being a BassAttack pedal in the chain up front. I dropped the TE 4x10 for an SWR 2x10 5 or 6 years ago to save on space but still link it to the same 1x15 TE combo with 7 band EQ. They work fine for what I do. As long as I can physically carry them around or they die I'l stick with them. I've played through all sorts at jam sessions and in rehearsal rooms including Ampeg and Mesa kit but still have no great desire to swap over from what I have.