Why become a member? ×

The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show.

Colonel36

I listened to the last program he did on Radio 2. One of the best radio programs I've ever heard. Every track was a cracker and I'm not particularly a funk and soul fan. He played an amazing remix of Marvin Gay's Heard it Through the Grapevine.

Radio 2 has become ( amongst other stations) so bland and mainstream that anyone who comes along and has some passion seems like a breath of fresh air. When I say "mainstream" I know it is national radio but Ken Bruce joshing Sally about the travel is hardly gripping listening..

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1422183904' post='2669496']
Radio 2 has become ( amongst other stations) so bland and mainstream that anyone who comes along and has some passion seems like a breath of fresh air. When I say "mainstream" I know it is national radio but Ken Bruce joshing Sally about the travel is hardly gripping listening..
[/quote]

I know what you mean , but I like the routine of 2 during the day , easy to follow during work, pop master and vine etc

As the thread title , Craig Charles is a great Dj , I play his compilations on spotify. He started out on I'm a celeb (watched it with my kids) but left through a death in the family, seemed like a really genuinely nice bloke

I've been a long time fan of his show on 6 music for a few years now. It's just great. It was even better when he had the extra hour on Radio 2 as well - 4 hours of back-to-back high quality funk and soul! :i-m_so_happy: It's also known as the Most Expensive Show On Radio, in our house, because pretty much every week I end up a with a shopping list of CDs to go out and buy. Great fun though.
[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1422175229' post='2669384']
I listened to the last program he did on Radio 2. One of the best radio programs I've ever heard. Every track was a cracker and I'm not particularly a funk and soul fan. He played an amazing remix of Marvin Gaye's Heard it Through the Grapevine.
[/quote] Was that the one by the Reflex? The remix of the CCR version? It's brilliant!

Edited by Simon.

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1422264953' post='2670346']
It's also known as the Most Expensive Show On Radio, in our house, because pretty much every week I end up a with a shopping list of CDs to go out and buy.
[/quote]

Very much this!! I have to stop myself listening to it sometimes as it ends up costing me too much :D

Love it.

He's dead passionate about the music and plays some great stuff.

This sort of show is wasted in the early evening though imo, but there's no chance of it being on during the day is there? Same with P. Jones on a Monday (7 pm, R2), such a good show.

I've been listening to his show for years but I think it's lost its way a bit recently. Producer changed a while ago and I don't think it's really recovered since he went.

Still one of the best shows on radio and I listen virtually every week but, for me, the better Solar radio shows have more variety and interest these days.