Why become a member? ×

Ashdown B Social - really?

Muppet

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1456223391' post='2986699']

Hey Visog,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the B Social. We don't seem to have had an email from you over the past couple of weeks so not sure what has happened there... You could have phoned us though and we would have chatted through any issues whilst you were sitting with the amp... However first thing we would say is that the B Social is quite a complex bit of kit and the fact that you state that you owned the unit for 'two days' is a bit of a worry as we don't think that is really enough time to get to grips with everything...

As regards your high output bass this is very odd as we have tested with countless basses over the past year or so including our 18v Status and Doug Wimbish's 9v Spector more recently with no problems at all. The active input is -15db compared to the passive input which should negate any high output issues. Are you saying even using the Active input its clipping on the front end regardless of input gain?

AppTek works perfectly and has been a feature on a number of our amps for around 3 years. Did you spend some time to set the app up correctly as this is critical? There are a lot of parameters to set/play with and if this isn't done then the results won't be great. First of all there is per saved set up an input level gain and output level that will need to played with to get the best out of things depending on the bass being used/amp sim chosen/fx etc. Once this is set and all is nice and clean/clear you can then adjust volumes on the actual B Social etc. It is also vital that you set the 'Noise and feedback filter' off to remove latency also turn off the 'adjust to prevent feedback' setting as well.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'amp cab variants just providing different levels of boominess - even their own Ashdown models' - again can only suggest things weren't quite set up correctly as there shouldn't be any 'boominess'. Using the EQ within the app and setting the B Social fairly flat should remove any 'boominess' pretty easily(Also turning off the filters I previously mention will help too. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you wanted to pop down and see us in Essex for a couple of hours one day we will happily go through everything with you in person, bring your basses/Ipad/chocolate biscuits etc and we think that within a few mins you would have a different view on things. We know you've already returned your unit but you can come and have a play on ours and if your mind was changed enough you may decide to give one another go... [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Check out the B Social videos that we did with Doug Wimbish on our YouTube channel, there was no tricks, no post production etc on any of the B Social videos and despite using a fairly high output bass there is no boominess or latency issues when using AppTek sims and FX....[/font][/color]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpmPk7hnfreWxFa0_GDpmJFWAs94ocJEj

Anyways let us know if you could pop down and see us as it would be great to be able to go through everything with you in person if we could...
[/quote]

Sounds like the ashdown b overly complicated after reading that.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1456231325' post='2986805']

Not really, all that takes about 2 mins and once everythings set correctly you wont have to do it again
[/quote]

Hmmm.

And the Doug wimbush vids well he isn't exactly playing in a mannor that would trouble the speakers and cause boominess. Would it not be better to of had some playing that 99% of players would be doing most of the time? No disrespect to Doug or the vids he just wasn't troubling the low end there in all fairness.

I wouldn't mind giving one of these a proper test as I've really warmed to the idea of them lately. But I've not seen or heard anything to convince me to track one down especially as i would have to travel. Also that's a big outlay.

Am all out of Fig (rolls) for this now.
I have a THR for my guitar and it's very nice, lots of features, good sound, light etc.
Like the B Social it isn't to replicate your gig rig (although I don't have one, so it is actually my main guitar amp..) So I can see that any limitations it might have need to be taken with that in mind.

But £600?!
I paid £219 for my THR, and I could see the B Social justifying more because it has a few extra bits like wireless playback etc, but £600?!
I presume it makes toast too for this price?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1456237625' post='2986896'] Tea and biscuits at Ashdown HQ sounds amazing. I wonder what an Ashdown afternoon tea is like... I want to know if everybody downs tools and chills out with the Rolling Scones. [/quote]

We're actually just about to break for tea in a min..... Will post a pic.