Why become a member? ×

Whats in your rack?

bassboy115

[quote name='Ant' post='3527' date='May 21 2007, 11:56 AM']to fill a 1U space, the best thing to put in is a blank panel (with grills/slots in) and put a bright blue "rope light" thing behind it, or something like that.[/quote]

Hey Ant, what bass is that in your avatar? From the scrap I can see of it, it looks gorgeous!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='20830' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:11 PM']Awesome! Why do you eq the signal twice?[/quote]

I don't!

Channel 1 EQ is used in the side-chain in/out for the compressor (channel 1), this is used to 'shape' the compression.

Channel 2 EQ is in the signal path in the FX loop.

Pete

[quote name='Gazm' post='20912' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:44 PM']I don't!

Channel 1 EQ is used in the side-chain in/out for the compressor (channel 1), this is used to 'shape' the compression.

Channel 2 EQ is in the signal path in the FX loop.

Pete[/quote]

Interestingly, I do wonder why more compressor companies dont put a side chain filter in as standard. the benefits outweigh the additional pennies it costs to add one.

[quote name='dood' post='20917' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:48 PM']Interestingly, I do wonder why more compressor companies dont put a side chain filter in as standard. the benefits outweigh the additional pennies it costs to add one.[/quote]

Mine's got one but I never thought of using it that way...interesting idea though. (It's an XIX CP1402 twin channel jobby. Awful colour scheme but got good reviews in Sound on Sound.) I have a love/hate relationship with compression in general and at the moment it's out of my rack and 'sleeping in the spare room'...

Just to update my posting earlier in this thread, I did end up taking the Aphex out of my rack. As much as I love it I've rearranged everything so now I have the neck pup from my Ric going through the DHA rackmount (sounding fantastic with a pair of 1969 NOS Jan Philips ECC82's) and the bridge pup into the SVP-Pro, at least for the moment. The Ampeg's not quite doing it for me, at least on the bridge pup so I'm considering alternatives incl. another DHA rackmount. Or I could swap it out for the Aphex. Hmm, I might have play with that tonight and use the Behringer minimixer to boost the output to a suitable level for the poweramp...

The gap left by the Aphex has been replaced by 84 (yes, 84 :)) bright blue LED's. None of my gear had blue LED's before but I might have over compensated :huh: They're arranged behind a roll of semi-translucent plastic to blur out the individual leds and give a rack-wide and lush blue light. I'll post a pic if my camera phone does a decent job of it.

Edited by stevebasshead

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='20941' date='Jun 20 2007, 06:23 PM']The gap left by the Aphex has been replaced by 84 (yes, 84 :)) bright blue LED's. None of my gear had blue LED's before but I might have over compensated :huh: They're arranged behind a roll of semi-translucent plastic to blur out the individual leds and give a rack-wide and lush blue light. I'll post a pic if my camera phone does a decent job of it.[/quote]
Now this I want to see. Even a crappy camera phone job will do.

ok, now this is something I wanted to do for kicks, as I have 2 small neon tubes (from PC tuning,etc) hanging around the house...

though I'd like to go a little further... but I dont know how.

The idea is to make the neons react (shifting in intensity) to the input level (clipping?) so that it would get more intense on harder picked notes and softer on lightly picked ones.

Does anyone have any Idea of how to do this?

crikey thats a toughie. im assuming you'd need different levels of electrical current to make them grow brighter/duller... what about using a noise gate's key input function running into some kind of amplifier, and then connect the speaker outs to the lights?

on second thoughts, thats a stupid idea... give me time to think of a solution :)

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='21241' date='Jun 21 2007, 10:19 AM']ok, now this is something I wanted to do for kicks, as I have 2 small neon tubes (from PC tuning,etc) hanging around the house...

though I'd like to go a little further... but I dont know how.

The idea is to make the neons react (shifting in intensity) to the input level (clipping?) so that it would get more intense on harder picked notes and softer on lightly picked ones.

Does anyone have any Idea of how to do this?[/quote]

dunno if this helps in anyway: [url="http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504266"]mxforum thread[/url]

For those who asked...(Velvetkevorkian, Dood, Lobematt)

[size=3]My camera phone doesn't show the [b]true[/b] blue in the head-on shot but the other two are exactly the shade[/size]

Head-on, colour's not real-life though (damn camera, see the next two for the proper colour)...

Side on, exactly the colour

From inside the rack, also acts as a bit of internal lighting !

Easy to do - One string of 84 Bright Blue LED's from Focus DIY, a roll of that knobbly, grippy, semi translucent clear plastic stuff from IKEA that stops your cutlery tray from zipping round your kitchen draw like an excited puppy, plus 10 mins of your time. The LED string is just laid back and forth, behind a roll of the grippy plastic stuff, enough to diffuse the LED's to taste, then a final, separate wrap around the lot to hold it in place and attach to the rack. I made two snips in the outer wrap either side, just enough to act as rack ears, sticking out for attaching to the rack.

Do I get a Blue Peter badge ?

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='20840' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:24 PM']Hey Ant, what bass is that in your avatar? From the scrap I can see of it, it looks gorgeous![/quote]

thanks!

it's a Fender MIJ '75 reissue Jazz bass from something like 1986.

Edited by Ant

[quote name='dood' post='21980' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:44 PM']great scott! thats cool! does the strip come with a PSU too? If not, what does it need?[/quote]

Cheers Dood - and yep, a wall wart is included. I got my set from Focus but *adopts BBC voice* other blue LED strings are available :) They're the type you see people draping round trees in their gardens at xmas, I just laid them back and forth behind the roll of plastic stuff. Focus also do a multicoloured version which flashes, might get myself a set of those too. Could be an interesting effect, pulsating away behind the diffusing plastic stuff :huh:

These are the blue one's [url="http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/23499"]http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/23499[/url] but I can't find the multicoloured one on their site. Seen it in store though.

Steve

Edited by stevebasshead