Why become a member? ×

Whats in your rack?

bassboy115

I personally dont have one but ive always really wondered what people fill them up with..im guessin people will have compressor, tuner and head but i just look at pictures and dont have a clue what the other stuff is...so

What have you got in your rack/ what would you recommend or discourage someone to get?

Awww lovely! well.. I have a 4u rack. It contains very little at the moment. I have an EBS multicomp, a TC Electronics G-Force and my favourite amp.. a 1u 1k+1k power amp. I have a power rack strip at the back of the box and a blanking panel at the front.

Every cable is neatly arranged so the signal leads stay away from the mains leads.

All the EQ / fx / valve sims are done on the TC. I mix a direct signal with the compressed signal and like to use cabs that are a bit hifi. Thats really about it. Oh, I also carry a stereo DI box and an MXR M80 should anything go badly wrong!!!

[quote name='acidbass' post='1862' date='May 18 2007, 10:51 PM']My 4U rack contains 3U of Ampeg SVT and 1U of blank rack strip! I got one without vents though as I believe this gives a much better definition to the low end and a slightly more compressed midrange.

:)[/quote]

I agree with you about the vents however the type and location of the side handles will make a big difference to the slap tone.

[quote name='obbm' post='1887' date='May 18 2007, 11:15 PM']I agree with you about the vents however the type and location of the side handles will make a big difference to the slap tone.[/quote]

I completely disagree with this. Where's Bill Fitzmaurice when you need him? :)

I have two rack set-ups.

Rack Set-Up 1
4U Gator Rack Case:
- ETA Systems Power Conditioner/Distributor/Circuit Breaker 1U
- Drawmer DL241 Compressor/Limiter 1U
- Aguilar DB680 Valve Preamp 2U

2U Gator Rack Case:
- QSC RMX 850

Then, as a back-up,
Rack Set Up 2
4U Gator Rack Case:
- Warwick Quadruplet Valve Preamp 1U
- blank ventilation panel 1U
- Gallien-Krueger RB400 2U

[quote name='obbm' post='1887' date='May 18 2007, 11:15 PM']I agree with you about the vents however the type and location of the side handles will make a big difference to the slap tone.[/quote]

What? Am I hearing this correctly? The vents and location of the handles affect the amp's tone???

[quote name='dood' post='2051' date='May 19 2007, 10:02 AM']What? Am I hearing this correctly? The vents and location of the handles affect the amp's tone???[/quote]

I'm surprised you didn't realise that. :)

and the colour of the LED's too. Blue ones sound the best.

:)

BTW:
2 No. Trantec diversity wireless
Custom 3 channel stereo mixer/Alembic power supply (being burn tested as I type)
Lexicon MPX-G2
(and possibly a stereo valve compressor if I find one clean and subtle enough)

I originally bought a 6U rack and had dreams of filling it with all manner of pre-amps, power-amps and flashy lights. I then learnt that this was a conduit to GAS and quickly sold it off and bought a 2U rack which just fits my Hartke HA3500. Can't want for anything else now as there's no space for it.

I have a 3U rack with a nice new Tech TVM600 head replacing my currentlyout of action Tech TVM350 and a Korg rackmount tuner. I have a POD XT Live that I bring along when I need effects - which is only for one of the three bands/projects I'm currently involved in.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='2173' date='May 19 2007, 01:19 PM']and the colour of the LED's too. Blue ones sound the best.[/quote]

Yup, you're right!

You guys are also forgetting that a power conditioner will add BAGS of tone, and one with vents and handles in the correct places plus a good helping of LEDs (blue preferably) will sound even more incredible!

It's the secret to Chris Wolstenholme's tone, he told me himself.

Edited by Waldo

All the exposed metal bits have to be coated in a rare metal, gold's not rare enough. Its got to be futurinium or something pretentious sounding. Preferably with a trademark signs all over. Something reassuringly elitist. Yeah and then it'll sound like liquid jesus dipped in butter. Only then will I get respect from my fellow bass players and it will definitely help me address my feelings of inadequacy. The fact that it going to cost more than a years worth of therapy doesn't matter, coz I won't have to face my personal problems.

Oops. Did I go too far?

I never know... :wacko:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='2562' date='May 20 2007, 12:01 AM']All the exposed metal bits have to be coated in a rare metal, gold's not rare enough. Its got to be futurinium or something pretentious sounding. Preferably with a trademark signs all over. Something reassuringly elitist. Yeah and then it'll sound like liquid jesus dipped in butter. Only then will I get respect from my fellow bass players and it will definitely help me address my feelings of inadequacy. The fact that it going to cost more than a years worth of therapy doesn't matter, coz I won't have to face my personal problems.

Oops. Did I go too far?

I never know... :wacko:[/quote]

The funny/sad thing is, there are people who actually think like that.........

:)

Oh yeah, it needs to have a boutique name like 'Chunkworks McCreamblender' or something. A name like immediately adds £200 to the price and thus, makes it sound better.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='bassboy115' post='1781' date='May 18 2007, 09:53 PM']I personally dont have one but ive always really wondered what people fill them up with..im guessin people will have compressor, tuner and head but i just look at pictures and dont have a clue what the other stuff is...so

What have you got in your rack/ what would you recommend or discourage someone to get?[/quote]

Behringer V - Amp, big fat stereo graphic and until recently a power amp. I swapped the amp it was a 500w power amp (the v-amp being used as a stereo pre) but it didn't push out enough ooomph for me so I bought an Eden Nemesis which shines it's lovely blue light out of the bottom of the rack. I've got a space left but don't know what to buy, something with green flashing lights would be nice. Couldn't care less what it does just green would balance the other colours.

When I get round to it, my rack will be a 4U one containing EA iAmp350 head, Trantec S3.5 wireless receiver and Yamaha FX500 multi-FX unit. The remaining 1U space will hopefully get filled with one of these [url="http://www.audioagencyeurope.com/funk_logic.html"]Funk Logic[/url] puppies... at last, a 'Vintagerator' control that goes from 'Ugh' to '1001001'..!