Why become a member? ×

Whats in your rack?

bassboy115

4U - Ampeg SVP-Pro, DHA Dual Rackmount (acting as a preamp), Aphex 204 (twin Aural Exciters/Big Bottoms ^_^ ), 2 AKG wireless receivers side by side and tucked round the back a Behringer minimixer. All of which serves me right for wanting to go stereo with my Ric...

2U - Yamaha P5000 poweramp

The Aphex, as fab as it is, might be coming out soon. If it does, I like the vented blanking plate/flashing blue ropelight idea !! I've got feelings of inadequacy I tell ya because none, [b]none [/b]of my gear has blue leds ! A frosted glass blanking plate would be even nicer though :)

I have 2, 4u racks for running different systems depending on gig & venue size.

4u rack containing: - 1u Behringer compressor mdx1600, 1u vented blanking plate as my
2u Swr Sm400s bass head gets hot even though it has a built in fan & which i generally run in stereo mode,
which can power upto 4 cabs, but i ususally run just 2.

My second 4u rack contains:
Swr grand prix preamp, Sony srp l2000 compressor & a 2u Swr stereo 400 poweramp
which again i tend to run in stereo mode powering 4 cabs.

Superb & awesome sound.

Hi Dood..

I've been trying to find a worthy Multi-Fx replacement for my ageing Alesis Midiverb 4 which has been bolted into my 6U for what seems like an eternity. Its old and kranky now (...and loses marks because the display backlight has had it too), but was wondering how highly you rated the G-Force ?
Seen a few reviews 'leaning' towards electric 6-string use rather than bass...so woz wondering if you give it a big thumbs up ?
ps... where did you aquire the unit,

All,
For the record,
4U containing 1 x Thunderfunk550, 1 x Midiverb 4....and some space in between :)

[quote name='dood' post='1811' date='May 18 2007, 10:30 PM']Awww lovely! well.. I have a 4u rack. It contains very little at the moment. I have an EBS multicomp, a TC Electronics G-Force and my favourite amp.. a 1u 1k+1k power amp. I have a power rack strip at the back of the box and a blanking panel at the front.

Every cable is neatly arranged so the signal leads stay away from the mains leads.

All the EQ / fx / valve sims are done on the TC. I mix a direct signal with the compressed signal and like to use cabs that are a bit hifi. Thats really about it. Oh, I also carry a stereo DI box and an MXR M80 should anything go badly wrong!!![/quote]

Guest subaudio

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='3518' date='May 21 2007, 11:46 AM']No I/O Means No Messy Cables![/quote]

No sound degredation either, and 90% waterproof !

Where do you get blank rack strips? I just bought a 4 unit rack (it's bloody massive, a big warwick heavy duty one....probably should have bought the ecoline one, oh well, at least the stuff will be protected) and I only have 2 units' worth of stuff atm......I am planning on adding a tuner in a few months but I need to fill the gaps until then.

[quote name='King of Loss' post='9126' date='May 30 2007, 01:00 PM']Where do you get blank rack strips? I just bought a 4 unit rack (it's bloody massive, a big warwick heavy duty one....probably should have bought the ecoline one, oh well, at least the stuff will be protected) and I only have 2 units' worth of stuff atm......I am planning on adding a tuner in a few months but I need to fill the gaps until then.[/quote]
You'll find several dealers on eBay who sell all sorts of useful rack fittings, including blanks and vent panels in all sizes. Have a butchers through this list:
[url="http://musical-instruments.listings.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Audio-Equipment_Rack-Gear_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ23791QQsocmdZListingItemList"]http://musical-instruments.listings.ebay.c...ListingItemList[/url]

[quote]damn thing weighs a ton mind you so looking to maybe shrink things down a bit![/quote]

Oh yeah....................???

6U ShockMount rack...........
4U Mesa/Boogie 400+
1U Behringer tuner
1U thin air ( just as well really )

Weighs almost as much as a small car..............doesn't it Ped !!

S

I've also got a 4 Unit Rack, including (Top-Down):

(1u) Behringer Rack Tuner

(2u) Markbass Little Mark F-Series limited edition (on a rackdrawer since I couldnt find rack-ears for it)

(1u) QuickLock SR-1500 Voltage Regulator

The Racktuner does its job, though there's probably better out there. I bought it cause it was cheap and at least it picks up my B string.

the Markbass is simply put, the best amp I've ever owned.

the Voltage Regulator, is a really important part of my setup.
I REALLY recomend people with expensive equipment to go and buy one.

Basically, it does 3 things...
1) it regulates the voltage that it supplies to the head, tuner and anything else I want to connect to it to an EXACT 230v. no fluctuations, so my equipment can run at the perfect conditions it was meant for.
2) It protects my equipment from surges
3) regarding point 1, this means less or no static noise. sometimes the only clue that the amp is turned on is hearing the fan/seeing the lights

8U Shock Rack

2 AKG wireless's the cheaper of which I will replace soon for another WMS400
Rane DC24 Multi Band Compressor
Euphonic Audio Iamp600 (Back up amp)
Euphonic Audio Iamp800 (Main amp)
Behringer Patchbay
Furman Power Conditioner

I'd like to upgrade the Iamp600 to another Iamp800 and currently have an issue with the compressor so that might have to be replaced soon but all in all I'm very happy with.

[quote name='Dazzlovski' post='4550' date='May 22 2007, 05:31 PM']Hi Dood..

I've been trying to find a worthy Multi-Fx replacement for my ageing Alesis Midiverb 4 which has been bolted into my 6U for what seems like an eternity. Its old and kranky now (...and loses marks because the display backlight has had it too), but was wondering how highly you rated the G-Force ?
Seen a few reviews 'leaning' towards electric 6-string use rather than bass...so woz wondering if you give it a big thumbs up ?
ps... where did you aquire the unit,

All,
For the record,
4U containing 1 x Thunderfunk550, 1 x Midiverb 4....and some space in between :)[/quote]

Soory chap I hadn't spotted your post. Well, the GFORCE gets a massive thumbs up. It's actually a studio processor, as opposed to a guitar specific unit. It really is as good as everyone says. I have had mine for a few years, and despite new units coming out on the market, it looks like only these, the Lexicon kit and the TOTR Eventide kit have remained in big touring rigs. Vai and his band use 'em.. infact I think he has just upgraded to the new TC foot controller/rack.
The GFORCE can do bass and has absolutely no problems with my low F# string.

If you cant stretch to the G Force, I would highly recommend it's little brother, the G Major. Another stonkingly good FX unit. This one is tailored more to the giiging/live musician and has some different functionality on board, such as external amp switching.

I have a lot of respect for TC!

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='9214' date='May 30 2007, 02:12 PM']the Voltage Regulator, is a really important part of my setup.
I REALLY recomend people with expensive equipment to go and buy one.

Basically, it does 3 things...
1) it regulates the voltage that it supplies to the head, tuner and anything else I want to connect to it to an EXACT 230v. no fluctuations, so my equipment can run at the perfect conditions it was meant for.
2) It protects my equipment from surges
3) regarding point 1, this means less or no static noise. sometimes the only clue that the amp is turned on is hearing the fan/seeing the lights[/quote]

Regarding the three points:

1. Does it actually regulate the voltage or does it just tell you if the voltage is not optimal? If it does regulate the voltage how much current can it deliver?

2. A simple surge protected power strip can do this at far less cost and weight.

3. Any half-decent rack gear should not need A/C filtering.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='13131' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:46 PM']Regarding the three points:

1. Does it actually regulate the voltage or does it just tell you if the voltage is not optimal? If it does regulate the voltage how much current can it deliver?

2. A simple surge protected power strip can do this at far less cost and weight.

Alex[/quote]

I agree with all these points but it was the only way I could justify more lights in my rack :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='13133' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:48 PM']I agree with all these points but it was the only way I could justify more lights in my rack :)[/quote]

I got a tuner for that!

There's nothing truly wrong with using a power conditioner UNLESS you have a powerful amp. Few power conditioners can supply enough current to feed 1000W+ amps, and once you get into rackmount power amps that's most of them.

If you already own a power conditioner and have a high power amp, do not connect the power amp through it.

Alex

In my rack I have a little mark 250 and a behringer autocom. The rack is a 3u warwick rockbag and it's great.
I have carted it backwards and forwards from cardiff to worcester on the train loads of times with my bass too.

I don't seem to be using the compressor much at the moment due to me not playing in a noisy band anymore! It's just me and an acoustic with both of us singing.

4U rack with amp (Warwick 5.1) alesis compressor and behringer tuner - have also got a DHA valvetone1 rack which is at home in my studio rack but should be in the gig rack.
I've also got a 2U case with a 2x200 power amp for my monitors and another 4U case with a 3u lighting controller and 1U 4xDI unit. Looks a bit mad when they are all stacked up.....
max

[quote name='alexclaber' post='13131' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:46 PM']Regarding the three points:

Alex[/quote]

1 - It does both. a little light goes on saying what the incoming voltage is, but the output voltage is regulated to the machine's standards, in my case, living in Europe, 230V.

as for 2 and 3, I agree, but for 2, I feel much better protected, and as for 3, mark bass is awesome, but i have noticed a difference. and I wont even tell you about my gallien krueger... that was noisy as a mofo...

trust me, before I bought it, I had trouble justifying it too... now, im really glad that I've bought it.

Edited by Aussiephoenix

first off this is my first post here so hello all!

2u box with an ampeg svt 3 pro. i wanna upgrade to a 6u box

2u for my ampeg
korg dtr or similar tuner
furman power conditioner
rbi

and that leaves me with one space for the GAS to boil in...