Why become a member? ×

New Amp from Bergantino (New photos)

fretmeister

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1457522380' post='2999269']
I was not going to post about it because I do not want to sound as if I am criticising the B Amp in any way whatsoever. It is a great piece of kit.
[/quote]
I wouldn't read it as criticism I would read it as a personal taste thing. What works for you might be different for someone else. I have not used Monique but hear good things about it. Would you say this was a battle of old school vs more modern?

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1457523819' post='2999289']
I wouldn't read it as criticism I would read it as a personal taste thing. What works for you might be different for someone else. I have not used Monique but hear good things about it. Would you say this was a battle of old school vs more modern?
[/quote]

I guess so, yes. I have used clean preamps in the past and loved them. At the moment the Monique does it for me. You are correct it is purely a taste thing.

Owen, I own and enjoy a Tecamp Puma with my CN112s. I didn't gel with the Monique when I tried it through the NV115 at a friend's house. We may be at different ends of the tone spectrum...do you think lovers of 'clean' sounds, like me, will gel with the B Amp?

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1457525550' post='2999318']
Owen, I own and enjoy a Tecamp Puma with my CN112s. I didn't gel with the Monique when I tried it through the NV115 at a friend's house. We may be at different ends of the tone spectrum...do you think lovers of 'clean' sounds, like me, will gel with the B Amp?
[/quote]
Sounds like we have the same rig😀
I am going to have to go to Bass Direct again😁

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1457526425' post='2999332']
Sounds like we have the same rig
I am going to have to go to Bass Direct again
[/quote]

Lol

Well, let me know the outcome...I'm not sure if my wallet can take it though...

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1457525550' post='2999318']
[/quote]

AAAAAAARGGGHHHHHHHH! This is another reason I did not comment because I did not want to have to field questions like these! Pressure to describe tone in words! The word clean always makes me think of sterile and that is NOT what the B Amp does. It is warm and full of headroomy goodness. The EQ is very, very good. Really easy to focus in on what you want to cut or boost. I just like the "hair" that the Monique puts on my notes (valve saturation apparently!). I am sure that there is a pedal out there that does such a thing, but I have got to the stage of not trying to fix things which work for me.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1457528805' post='2999360']

AAAAAAARGGGHHHHHHHH! This is another reason I did not comment because I did not want to have to field questions like these! Pressure to describe tone in words! The word clean always makes me think of sterile and that is NOT what the B Amp does. It is warm and full of headroomy goodness. The EQ is very, very good. Really easy to focus in on what you want to cut or boost. I just like the "hair" that the Monique puts on my notes (valve saturation apparently!). I am sure that there is a pedal out there that does such a thing, but I have got to the stage of not trying to fix things which work for me.
[/quote]
I wonder whether Jim may release a hairware update at some point, kind of like the TC tube tone but better...
I kind of like a clean but rich sounding rig that brings out the growl of my basses so I think the B amp may work.
Need to speak nicely to the accountant at home😬

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1457527747' post='2999348']

Lol

Well, let me know the outcome...I'm not sure if my wallet can take it though...
[/quote]
Not sure mine can either...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1457528805' post='2999360']
[/quote]

Ha, no worries. Tone is so subjective. I appreciate your comments, and agree not to hold you liable for any purchases I may or may not make. :)

The gushing over on TB is sometimes so hyperbolic that I find it hard to take what is said there seriously. Hence me asking for your thoughts...esp as we have had some similarities in amplification before. I tend to think of us here in the UK as being a little more hardheaded (rightly or wrongly), so I tend to give more weight to commentary posted here.