Why become a member? ×

New Amp from Bergantino (New photos)

fretmeister

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1422299313' post='2670909']
It certainly doesn't look modern, but it does look like it was built to last. We know Berg make stunning DSP for power amps due to the mind blowingly good powered cabs they have out there, so I have high hopes for how this will perform. Looking forward to giving one a whirl.
[/quote]

I'm really looking forward to checking it out too. The IP series inspired me to roll my own amp with the same OEM power amp/DSP chip set that Jim used. For his sake, hope he used something a lot more user-friendly on the programming end this time!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1422091662' post='2668533']
For example, Eden's new amp heads. They have illuminated speaker output sockets. Why, I am still trying to fathom.
[/quote]

While seemingly useless on an amp, that would actually be handy on a cabinet. Pushed into the corner of a dark stage in a rushed set-up, every little can help. Although I suppose lighting up before you plug the thing in is a bit problematic. Glow in the dark speakon ports?

Edited by Ziphoblat

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1422549122' post='2673991']

I'm really looking forward to checking it out too. The IP series inspired me to roll my own amp with the same OEM power amp/DSP chip set that Jim used. For his sake, hope he used something a lot more user-friendly on the programming end this time!
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to trying out this amp too. I like the idea of fine tuning amp and cabinet combinations with a tweakable EQ and filters. It makes lots of sense to me.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1423995086' post='2691191']

I'm looking forward to trying out this amp too. I like the idea of fine tuning amp and cabinet combinations with a tweakable EQ and filters. It makes lots of sense to me.
[/quote]

My Crown power amp allows you to customise filters/EQ on the computer software and then save onto the amp as presets. I haven't taken full advantage of it yet as I like it flat, but have had a play and created some notch/boom busting EQ presets.

Petty cool having it in a compact integrated head though.

That's my thinking - I've an Alesis programmable EQ that I keep threatening to put in my bass 'rig' because it always ends up being really useful for the reasons you mention. Having it all in one box would be really handy.

So what is the difference between this amp and the similar Ashdown black box, except you cant get hold of one of these and they will be twice the price when they arrive.
http://ashdownmusic.com/files/product/img/img_20130709063359_99202_thumb.png

Edited by deepbass5

Well for one thing the clever digital bits to tailor the output of the amp to the cabinet will have been tuned by Jim Bergantino to match the output perfectly to his cabinets to absolutely maximise the effect of the amp and cab combined in each case.

So it will be the first bass amp I can think of that uses DSP to tune itself to one of a range of cabs as chosen by the end user.

And given the success of the IP range in achieving a remarkable sound from its cabs given their size and power handling, it promises to absolutely maximise the impact of all the modelled for cabs.

I cannot begin to imagine how good an ae410 will sound with this in front of it......

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1424196952' post='2693748']
So what is the difference between this amp and the similar Ashdown black box, except you cant get hold of one of these and they will be twice the price when they arrive.
[url="http://ashdownmusic.com/files/product/img/img_20130709063359_99202_thumb.png"]http://ashdownmusic....99202_thumb.png[/url]
[/quote]

well it will be more like 4 times the price.... but apart from them both being black.... very little.

One is an exercise in producing a cheap, low spec affordable bass amp for students.
the other is an exercise in producing a top end bass amp using DSP to tune it to a range of cabinets using Eq, and multi band limiting and so on...

I mean what's the difference between a Citroen C1 and a Mercedes AMG GT are ostensibly both cars for driving on the road with 4 wheels... except you cant get hold of one of these and they will be twice the price when they arrive. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how useful it'll be in the long run for us if we use just one cabinet for most of the time. For PAs it might make sense as they may be hooked up to different speakers on different gigs or may be rented out by companies for use with different speakers and speaker configurations in different sized venues on different nights of the same tour etc. But I am not sure how useful it'd be in a bass amp.

If it has got different EQ settings for different cabinets and different crossover points etc then it'll require each speaker manufacturer giving these out and sharing them. They are really really unlikely to do this, and particularly to give Berg the settings if they're competitors; the speaker presets effectively highlight all the deficiencies in a speaker cabinet! For this reason they will likely struggle to get these settings I believe, which would make this product dead in the water, unless there are different plans?

Out of interest, Funktion One do not use any speaker presets or eq to correct deficiencies in their cabinets, as far as I know. Good bit of kit, obviously.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1421918465' post='2666479']
Any detail on the power section?
[/quote]

A magazine reviewer I know mentioned that it uses one of the new ICEpower 700 series modules, which are reputedly a nice step up from the earlier versions.

Edit: I now have a little experience with that module myself, it's a ripper.

Edited by Passinwind

• 4 months later...

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1422546876' post='2673963']
I dont see any CE mark on the back panel, Hope they haven't made the same mistake as Aguilar when anouncing the Tone hammer got me all gassed up then took a year to sort out european certs. So this could be a year May :D
[/quote]

Just dug this thread out started in Jan this year and was my prediction right, we havent seen this yet but still space on dealers sites waiting for it to arrive ?? :)
creating demand is one thing, but there is also poor marketing.
Anyone still waiting or have you lost interest too

I'm still interested, though TBH it would have to be a pretty amazing amp to retire my Tecamp Puma 900, which works perfectly well with my CN112 x2.

Mostly I'd like to buy these secondhand, after early purchasers do the inevitable splurge and then move on to the next new thing 6 months later, with the next new boutique amp/preamp/whatever. :lol:

I'd still like to have some serious time with a Jule Monique preamp, as the most recent flavour of the last few years, but when I tried one out at moderate volumes when visiting another bassist I thought it was good, but not amazing. Might not have been the right setting though. I'm just used to the convenience of plug and play with a micro amp, I suppose.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1438250725' post='2832854']
I'm still interested, though TBH it would have to be a pretty amazing amp to retire my Tecamp Puma 900, which works perfectly well with my CN112 x2.
[/quote]

Ditto (well, AE not CN). Don't think it's a CE issue as it's not in stock at any US dealer either, and Bergantino (other than a blog and Facebook posting) don't acknowledge its existence on their website.

I believe it's waiting for certification. If they only released it in the US they'd cause a "grey market" of unofficially imported amps all over the world, so they're waiting until they can offer a combined world wide release date.

Anyway, I'm still interested.

It would have to be special to retire my TH500 and Thunderfunk but I'll certainly audition it. I believe early models have been tested by people on Talkbass and they say it sounds like the IP's and then some. So it might be that special.

With good used versions of my TH500 (at less than £500), and making a fantastic noise with my current cab, the price of a new Berg amp will probably be the issue for me.

There was also a hint of a Barefaced amp lurking in the shadows. I'm very interested in that as well.