Why become a member? ×

Turning a Harley benton PB-Shorty into a JB-Shorty.

blablas

A bit bored waiting for the next PB-Shorty that should be delivered today...
To kill some time made and edited a picture of the things that are already prepared for this one.
W9XXKXF.jpg
Not sure yet which pickguard ring I'm going to use for the bridge position, for the time being I'm using the black one.

Edited by blablas
changed picture links
  • Thanks 1

Aligned the tuners (and removed the stickers).
Before:
qAcpSSd.jpg
after:
tOLq7em.jpg
No filling and drilling, there was just enough space to move the tuners around in a aligned position after loosening the screws.

Routed the cavities for the pickups in the body.
SobdbQg.jpg

Edited by blablas
changed picture links
  • Thanks 1

AlgcQ8p.jpg
Drilled the hole for the sidejack....
And with doing that created a serious repair job for myself. :dash1:
While the drill-bit was coming through a big chunk of wood broke out on the topside, luckily it was a clean break on the woodgrain, repaired it almost invisible, you can still see some very thin lines where the breakout was - these lines are primarily how the light breaks on the thick polyurethane top-coating, I cant feel them.

4GF2tjq.jpg
After this repair I mounted the bridge and neck to check how the pickups aligned with the strings... judge for yourself. :)

Edited by blablas
changed picture links
  • Thanks 1

Harley Benton RiB-shorty project is done.
hb_ri_shorty.jpg&key=8fb721baa017005863a8246f3f43ea88924582076e16449ce32496ec63c50358

Detail pictures:
Rfr4C8y.jpg

MIyv0fr.jpg

This was a smooth and simple conversion, only minor setback was the breaking out if the chunk of wood while drilling the hole for the sidejack.

Verdict:
This one was the best made HB instrument I've had in my hands until now. Nice tight(ish) fitting neck/neck-pocket, frets are level and there are no sharp fret ends, only two tuners were a little bit misaligned that were fixable without any 'filling and drilling'. I replaced one bridge saddle due to the fact that the height adjustment screws were not at an straight angle to the intonation screw (the original one worked okay but I don't like these small disturbing details).
I also placed a neck shim, this was not necessary but I prefer to have the strings a little bit higher in the bridge position.

These Chinese toasters sound amazingly Rick-ish, even though they are dual coils (in series), the round rolling sound with a bite, the only minus is that they are slightly microphonic.

Edited by blablas
changed picture links
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just bought one of these for my boy who is a lefty, I'm pleased with it for the buttons I paid.

I've just stripped it down as a mate is respraying it blue and getting a pickguard with some football team or player of some significance on it...

Tempted to get a full size and go a bit mad on it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@blablasi'm loving what you've done to create this collection of basses and am very tempted to get one for myself as i'm partial to a short scale and i've got a bartolini pickup in a drawer that would work perfectly.

a small question though - what are you using to transport these basses for gigs etc? Thomann suggests an electric guitar gigbag, i'm wondering if they would fit in one of my strat type hardcases? Any chance you could measure the total length of one? 

it's a shame that they only offer black as a finish option would be great in some other colours (a sonic blue re-spray might be in order)

Matt

4 hours ago, Matt P said:

@blablasi'm loving what you've done to create this collection of basses and am very tempted to get one for myself as i'm partial to a short scale and i've got a bartolini pickup in a drawer that would work perfectly.

a small question though - what are you using to transport these basses for gigs etc? Thomann suggests an electric guitar gigbag, i'm wondering if they would fit in one of my strat type hardcases? Any chance you could measure the total length of one? 

it's a shame that they only offer black as a finish option would be great in some other colours (a sonic blue re-spray might be in order)

Matt

8CB1F6DC-2267-457D-9C48-21255B1A4263.thumb.jpeg.3e867ab3458857a91ab2e8302438b303.jpeg

this is my lads HB shorty in blue - forgive the football reference...

• Like 2

@AndyTravis loving the blue, it looks fantastic, you've even got matching blue control knobs! i can overlook the football reference :biggrin:

4 hours ago, blablas said:

106 cm by 30 cm.

that's 2cm longer than either of my strat type cases, and 1cm longer than the internal dimensions of the gigbag that thomann suggest,i'm guessing that either the gigbag is a little longer than they say or it's got a bit of give and the bass is a snug fit.

do you think that it would be possible to lose 2cm from the end of the headstock (along with a bit of a re-shape, possibly to a tele style shape?) i'd really like to fit it into a hardcase for travel (i have hardcases for pretty much all my instruments) but if there isn't room then i think i might look for a different Bass as a starting point, something with a 2+2 headstock and a modern styled body, or start with a clean sheet and build from scratch. (i've got a random plan for a 30" scaled 5 string neck through that might work)

• 3 years later...

Small shorty PJ update. 

I replaced the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 (Quarter Pound P) pickup with a SPB-1 (Vintage P).hb_pj_shorty.jpg

Never really liked the sound of the SPB-3, too harsh and too modern sounding also a way too high output, in the end not how I like a P pickup to sound, the combination with DiMarzio bridge pickup also didn't sound the way I had in mind.
BnlAJvx.jpg
This SPB-1 sounds the way I want and works great in combination with the bridge pickup.

• Like 2