Why become a member? ×

Cold climate,hot bass

Staggering on

Hello from northern Ontario in Canada.This morning it was -26C and we have lots of snow so it will be a perfect day to stay inside and spend some time with my EDB34.I got the beast(used) about a month ago and have been spending(not wasting!) 2-3 hours a day working with it.I've been playing guitar(1967 Gibson J50) for over 50(gasp) years and electric bass for about 25 years.Most of the bass playing has been in jazz or blues bands and I have been in my current band for almost 5 years playing jazz standards.The band has piano/vocal,drums,tenor/clarinet and me on my trusty old Yamaha RB750A with flatwound strings and singing on a few songs.For quite a while I have been thinking about getting an EUB and when I saw one for sale only about 200km away(remember,this is Canada) I went for it.I've never had so much fun and the band loves the sound and the look of it.I have checked out the lessons from Geoff(thanks for the tip on Basschat)and would recommend his site.The Stagg will get its debut on a gig early next month and will be used on most of our songs(we have about 140+ in our playlist)with a few played on the Yamaha.
I think string height is still an issue(suggested measurements?)with me but they were set very high when I got it and have since lowered them a lot.I have also found that as the battery starts to lose power a long time before it abruptly dies,I begin to get a lot of hiss and it is not the cable or amp(Laney).The hiss was in the earphones too so if you have this problem check your battery voltage.
Time to put some more wood in the stove,pour a coffee and get to work on some tunes.
Stay warm everyone.

Bob