Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton PB-50 & JB-20 - opinions please

redstriper

I'm thinking of buying one of these -
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pb_50_sb_vintage_series.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...tage_series.htm[/url] -

Edit - bought one, but the neck was way too thick for me.

Now I'm thinking of getting one of these instead:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb222t.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb222t.htm[/url]

Has anyone here had any experience of the JB-20?
I particularly want to know whether the neck on the JB-20 is slim like an old Fender Jazz, or thick like a Precision.
Also, what kind of weight I should expect from the JB-20.

I would fit flatwound strings and I play mainly reggae so I need a deep, smooth tone.
£75.00 is not a lot for a new bass....... unless it's rubbish :unsure:

Edited by redstriper

Thanks AT - I forgot I posted in that thread last April to ask [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]what is the tone like?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Will it go really deep for reggae, like the neck pup on a Jazz bass? [/size][/font][/color]

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Here is my input if you thinking of buying it.

Biggest issues:

1. Frets are set all right but [u]NEVER [/u]been leveled, after leveling I got action at just over 2mm - 12th fret E string.
2. My bass got real p-bass neck, around 24mm at 1st fret - disaster for me - shaved off to 21mm and now its a star.
3. Machine heads stiff? Why people don't use like Vaseline? after greasing them a bit they work as ANY machines on the market - they are not shallers but do the job.

Big pros:

1. Sound - for me, better than my usa jazz bass with aguilar pickups - not kidding, I know it`s Jazz vs p-bass but I like p-bass sound more from now on.
2. Body made and painted very well.
3. Good pots imo CTSs wont make better bass...but this is very personal preferences I guess.
4. Price of course.
5. Its under 4kg bass very good for an old prick like myself - my back is safe.

Cheers,
Tomas

There's 3 of them here now. The first I've had for 18 month and has Status nylons,action's never moved from 1.75. It's got that thump I was after.
Another was got to stick a Toaster in but I made a hash of that. Yesterday a Peavey SF went in it,when I balance the pickup later today it'll be good.
Lasts a deko and I'm thinking Mudbucker or Fidelitron. Guess I hold these in quite high regard.
Never played reggae so I can't say if it'll do or not,something for me to look into though.

Thanks for the comments chaps :)

I bought one and it was a nice bass, especially considering the price.
The tone was well suited to reggae with flat wound strings, although not quite as smooth as my old Jazz bass.
Build quality was very good, intonation, action etc. all excellent and it was a nice weight at just under 9 pounds.
The scratch plate was horrible though, with sharp edges but it looked fine without it - no hidden routes.

However......
I sold it within a week because I couldn't get on with the mahoosive neck.
I'm used to a 60s Jazz neck and this one felt huge.

I'm very tempted to go for the JB-20 Jazz bass now B)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1444846987' post='2886706']
Thanks for the warning - have you played a JB-20?
It's the 60s copy, not themore popular (and pricier) 70s one.
[/quote]

All the HB jazz and P basses have "modern C-shaped neck".

I'm guessing they make one profile for all the fender clones.

Does [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"modern C-shaped neck" mean thick?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had a Squier CV Jazz that was described as having a [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"modern C-shaped neck" and it was slim and very similar to a mid 60s Fender.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The HB PB-50 had a very thick, un-Jazz like neck, I wonder if it's the same neck on the JB-20.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Edit:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just had this encouraging reply to the same question on TB - [/font][/color]
[quote]I don't know how close they resemble Fender necks but the neck on the JB models are slimmer and thinner than the PB necks.[/quote]

Looks like I'll have to buy one to find out :)

Edited by redstriper

Hi. I have a JB-20 and a PB-20, both dekos incidentally but both are excellent basses for the money. Regarding the necks, the JB-20 neck is most definitely slimmer than the PB-20 (dont know whether the necks on the PB-20 and PB-50 are any different tho). The JB-20 is 3.7cm at the nut whilst the P is 4cm at the nut.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1444914869' post='2887278']
Hi. I have a JB-20 and a PB-20, both dekos incidentally but both are excellent basses for the money. Regarding the necks, the JB-20 neck is most definitely slimmer than the PB-20 (dont know whether the necks on the PB-20 and PB-50 are any different tho). The JB-20 is 3.7cm at the nut whilst the P is 4cm at the nut.
[/quote]

Thanks - I've got a couple of other questions about the JB-20 -
What is it like weight wise and how is the tone?
I use flatwound strings and only the neck pick up with the tone rolled off for a deep, smooth reggae sound.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Oops I should edit that! Sold it last week, for a bit more than £50 though [/font][/color] :P[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/quote]

Ah well - worth a try.. :ph34r:

Edited by redstriper