Why become a member? ×

Preamp valves for a mesa bigblock 750 / only mesa tubes ?

guiguite

Hi there

i m about to replace the 4 12AX7 in my bigblock so i went to denmark street to buy some. the guy told me i can only put mesa tubes inside and they didn t had any...

I knew that it was better for the poweramp section but Is that true also for the preamp ? i m a bit lost.

cheers

WWHHHAATTT!!??

the tubes have a designation - pre and power - and any that match that designation are acceptable.

most people prefer new old tubes of European/UK/US manufacture.

"genuine mesa" tubes would have been made by someone else, with their name printed on the glass.

that s what i tought too, i was used to have a SVP pro, some trace head and i always used any kind of preamp tube... but i didn t wanted to get into an argue with the guy so i just left :-)

i ve been told that JJ tubes were pretty nice. the mesa i got now are quite cool too. and i tried groove tube in the past... what would you recommand ?

For indication, i do play in a metal band with a 6 string active bass. i m looking for a soft warm distortion with good definition in the high and high mids withotu loosing to much low end. nothing too saturated. just enought to make the sound a bit more dirty and fill a bit more the space when my guitar player leave me alone during solos.

Edited by guiguite