Why become a member? ×

Your favourite film soundtracks?

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1421272283' post='2659341']
I regularly listen to the Bladerunner soundtrack. It's very atmospheric.

[media]http://youtu.be/2x3UNHNo1LA[/media]

Oh and don't forget The soundtrack to 'Superfly' by Curtis Mayfield. A work of funky genius.

[media]http://youtu.be/9hBE6NL3KWg[/media]
[/quote]

Oooh, while I'm not into Curtis Mayfield at all, I do really like the Bladerunner soundtrack, it's one of my favourite films too.

That looks veeeeerrry cool on crimson vinyl :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1421281642' post='2659501']
Is it too blindingly obvious to mention Ry Cooder's work on Paris Texas?
[/quote]

Great shout, I need to revisit that.

While I remember - Eddie Vedder wrote a solo acoustic soundtrack for the indie film 'Into The Wild' which has some lovely tracks on it.

+1 for the Tron Legacy Daft Punk soundtrack. A lot of John Carpenter's original electronic scores are great (Halloween, Assault of Precinct 13, The Fog, Escape from New York and The Thing - though think this is Ennio Morricone). I also love both of Carlito's Way soundtracks (the 70's tunes and the Patrick Doyle haunting original score), & also like a lot of other thriller type dramatic soundtracks: Bernard Hermann: Cape Fear, Psycho, North by Norhwest Vertigo, Marnie, Day the Earth Stood Still, Twisted Nerve as well as Pino Donaggio - in particular his work with Brian De Palma on Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Raising Cain, Passion, Blow Out and Body Double - all great soundtracks. Lastly 2 more De Palma scores - Snake Eyes and Femme Fatale by Ryuichi Sakamoto are really quite something.

Howard Shore's Lord Of The Rings soundtracks are one hell of an achievement. I am less enamoured of the Hobbit series but they have their moments.

I also like Leonard Rosenman's soundtrack for Ralph Bakshi's 1978 version of LOTR

Pat Metheny - A Map Of The World is beautifully paced

Mike Oldfield - The Killing Fields. Strangely powerful

Javier Navarrete - Pan's Labyrinth. Haunting

Terence Blanchard - Malcolm X

The first soundtrack album I was aware of - Easy Rider - my dad had it on tape. Introduced me to Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, The Byrds, (the music of) The Band etc. Some cracking tracks on the extended deluxe edition too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Rider_(soundtrack)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1421277549' post='2659457']
I bought the OST to a film called "Uptight" not very long ago. It was the only recording I could find that had the original unedited version of "Time Is Tight" on, which was how Booker T originally wrote it. The track has a melancholic intro and play out on it
[/quote]

Pretty sure I have that single on vinyl somewhere, I must did it out, not that I have a record player to play it on :(

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1421317731' post='2659692']
Pretty sure I have that single on vinyl somewhere, I must did it out, not that I have a record player to play it on :(
[/quote]

The edited single version was their second biggest hit, the full length I don't know what happened with it, or whether it has any rarity value.