Why become a member? ×

Replacement 15" speaker

Badass

For practice I use a Hartke kickback 15. I am thinking of changing the speaker to reduce the weight, due to some serious health problems.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for this combo? I believe the enclosure has a marked effect on the speaker or vice versa. So I am looking for advice on a replacement. I'm thinking a neo speaker maybe, but which?

There are two ways to choose a correct replacement driver. One is to find the T/S specs and frequency response of the original and match it. Since speaker companies won't divulge that information you'd have to measure those items yourself, which requires specialized gear and knowledge. The other is to reverse engineer the cab, using speaker modeling software to find that driver specs that will work best in it. That also calls for a high degree of knowledge.
Option three, which is what you should probably do, is to sell your amp and buy one that meets your needs.

I'll measure the box. and the port. Then get back to you.

Yeah I thought of trading it in, but it's a great work horse.

Thanks guys

OK an UPDATE:-

Internal dimensions are

Height is 51.3 cm

Width is 41.8 cm

Depth is 38.5 cm

The post is directly behind the speaker magnet and is 11 cm diameter and the port tube is 10 cm deep into cab.

Hope someone can give me one or two speaker options from this addition info.

Edited by Badass

What's the impedance of the current driver?

IIRC my kickback 12 was 6 ohms, which isn't easily available, meaning if you fit an 8ohm replacement you will lose power, and a 4 ohm may blow up the amp.

You could consider getting a kickback 12 - mine was not that heavy and I sold it for less than a typical neo replacement speaker.

You might also want to pull the driver and weigh the cab/amp part - IIRC mine was made from thick MDF, so you may not gain a massive amount if you lose 1kg by fitting an expensive neo speaker.

Interesting...Speaker is 6 ohms, but specs say 120w in 8 ohms. At practice it is on just 'two' on the vol knob. So a little loss of watts would not hurt. Cabinet is made from wood about 2cm thick. The speaker has a massive magnet, so that was why I had my first thoughts of exchanging it.

I am also looking at other option, including another light weight combo.

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1421339367' post='2660108']
Interesting...Speaker is 6 ohms, but specs say 120w in 8 ohms. At practice it is on just 'two' on the vol knob. So a little loss of watts would not hurt. Cabinet is made from wood about 2cm thick. The speaker has a massive magnet, so that was why I had my first thoughts of exchanging it.

I am also looking at other option, including another light weight combo.
[/quote]

Does the speaker say it's 6Ohm or are you getting that reading from a multimeter. I don't know the exact science on this but when reading with the multimeter you get a reading a bit below the nominal impedance of the cab and "only as a rule of thumb" it's normal to aply a 1.3 coeficient to get the aprox nominal impedance.

Multimeter reading: 6ohm -> Nominal impedance: 6x1.3=7.8 ~ 8ohm driver.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1421340509' post='2660145']
Does the speaker say it's 6Ohm or are you getting that reading from a multimeter. I don't know the exact science on this but when reading with the multimeter you get a reading a bit below the nominal impedance of the cab and "only as a rule of thumb" it's normal to aply a 1.3 coeficient to get the aprox nominal impedance.

Multimeter reading: 6ohm -> Nominal impedance: 6x1.3=7.8 ~ 8ohm driver.
[/quote]

This ^^. 'Impedance' and 'resistance' are not measured in quite the same way. A DC measurement of 6 ohms (with an ordinary multimeter...) is very likely 8 ohms impedance, as stated above.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421343107' post='2660195']
Take it off and put on a 8 ohm one instead..? :ph34r:

:lol: :P
[/quote]

Brilliant!!! :D

Edit: when i first read Dad's post i read it as a joke, sugesting the OP to replace the sticker on the speaker. Now that i've read his post again i'm not so sure that was the intention but i laughed anyway :)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I think Bill F (as always) has this one nailed - you should really be considering something that's easier to carry - hows about a Barefaced cab & a lightweight amp? (I've got a rubbish back problem, so I bought a Crown class D to go with Barfaced(s) - I own three Matamp/Ormat clones, but I wouldn't seriously consider them as play-out kit (too heavy/breakable/valuable...etc, etc) )....makes sense to me...............

:)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1421322011' post='2659773']
What's the impedance of the current driver?
You might also want to pull the driver and weigh the cab/amp part - IIRC mine was made from thick MDF, so you may not gain a massive amount if you lose 1kg by fitting an expensive neo speaker.
[/quote]
+1.

Before you go any further you should find out what the speaker weighs. Neo drivers are quite expensive and usually highly specced, which may well mean much higher power handling than you current unit - you might find that any recommended neo speaker is actually heavier. You shouldn't under-estimate the weight of the cab, especially if it's MDF.

If you're determined to replace the speaker, check out my build thread for some ideas on how you can model the response of the driver to check it works in the box:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/200152-1x12-diy-cab-build/page__hl__1x12%20cab

It's not as hard as some folks make out, you need a (free) bit of software, the dimensions of the box (to calculate the volume), dimensions of the port, and the specifications of the replacement driver. AFAIK, if the resulting graph doesn't look like the hind leg of a dog, you should be OK :lol:

If I were you, given the high cost of neo drivers, I'd sell the hartke and buy a used Mark Bass CMD121p for about £350 - If you spend nearly £200 on a premium neo driver, the total spend won't be that much different (there are some cheaper Celestion neo drivers you could check out, but I have no idea if they'd work).

You should come and lift my Peavey BAM210 in and out of the car a few times and your Kickback will feel as light as a helium filled baloon afterwards. That is why I use a BG250 for small / medium gigs now