Why become a member? ×

Lining yer knobs up (ooer) - does this bother anyone else?

wingnutkj

It's generally the first thing I do with a new bass - if there's some kind of position indicator on the volume and tone knobs, I'll line them up so that they're pointing vertically when fully on. It's especially important on Jazz basses, because if you like them up to be vertical when fully on, they'll follow the line of the control plate when fully off, and that's nice and neat. It ASTOUNDS me that they don't do this in the factory. Do people just not care?

Is it just me?

One of the first things I do as well - though I make sure the fixing screws are all facing downwards when fully on. I can then, when cutting back on tone, use the screw as a marker angling it with one of the screws on the pickguard so pretty much sure always in the same place. Not that I do this live, just at home.

I'm a bit confused. Pointing vertically when the bass is upright? Pointing vertically when the bass is horizontal? Pointing vertically when you're wearing the bass?
The Jazz bass control plate, when the bass is upright, points to the ten o'clock position, so unless you play like Bill Wyman, none of the above options make the marker line up with the control plate.
Sorry if I'm being thick

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1421228377' post='2658556']
So putting big arrows on the scratchplate in indelible felt-tip pen is just me then?
[/quote]

You missed doing that on one of two of your basses. Don't worry I'll bring a pen to the next Bass bash :P

Oh, er.... yes. I line mine up too.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1421231521' post='2658604']
I'm a bit confused. Pointing vertically when the bass is upright? Pointing vertically when the bass is horizontal? Pointing vertically when you're wearing the bass?
The Jazz bass control plate, when the bass is upright, points to the ten o'clock position, so unless you play like Bill Wyman, none of the above options make the marker line up with the control plate.
Sorry if I'm being thick
[/quote]

Point up when the bass is horizontal, so that they line up with the axis of the pickups and bridge.

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1421233440' post='2658642']

Point up when the bass is horizontal, so that they line up with the axis of the pickups and bridge.
[/quote]

Ah, ok thanks.
What if you had a pickup blend knob? Surely the centre detente pointing to the top is the only logical position?

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1421234000' post='2658657']
Me too! Was looking at replacement knobs, but there are no stacked knobs with proper marking or numbers, so it seems.
Gap in the market.
[/quote]

I can't find any with numbers, but there are a few with prominent marking:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/knobs.htm

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1421226132' post='2658522']
It's generally the first thing I do with a new bass - if there's some kind of position indicator on the volume and tone knobs, I'll line them up so that they're pointing vertically when fully on. It's especially important on Jazz basses, because if you like them up to be vertical when fully on, they'll follow the line of the control plate when fully off, and that's nice and neat. It ASTOUNDS me that they don't do this in the factory. Do people just not care?

Is it just me?
[/quote]
Oh thank god, I was worried that I was the only one OCD enough to do this :lol: no it's very definitely not just you!