Why become a member? ×

Bah, local music shop rant!

Truckstop

Hello all,

So I found myself with an hour to kill today between finishing a days work and meeting my wife for a quick drink before heading home. I went to my local music shop just to keep abreast of their stock and see what they had in.

They've not had great stock in since they moved to a smaller shop a few years ago but it was especially sad today. About 12 basses in total, all dusty and totally neglected. Horribly set-up. In some cases with rusty strings.

They had a brand new Yamaha BB425 in tobacco burst with the most horrid strings on, hadn't been touched with an Allen key or screwdriver and was just horrible to play, sadly. Lovely grey Ibanez SR fretless with round wounds on and horribly gouged fretboard. USA P covered in dust and fingerprints, rusty strings, stiff knobs and action so high you could sail a boat underneath.

Almost shocking. I presume they expect to sell their stock at some point but they're really not making it easy for themselves! All of them were out of tune, none of them had been touched by staff for days and days :(

Just disappointing really. Not a nice experience to have a go on instruments that aren't fit for purpose!

Truckstop

If that`s the music shop I think you`re on about Alex, yes since the move they`ve gone downhill in my view. They used to have a good stock of most things but seem to me to now be concentrating on acoustic guitars. Nothing wrong with that specifically, but as with your points, make the most of the stock of other items such as basses, get them set-up nicely, encourage the sales, it`s a business after all.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1421174314' post='2658068']
This is the case with the 3 closet shops to me unloved stock coupled with bad attitudes and I think this is why a lot of people now shop on line now as well as much cheaper prices
[/quote]

Nothing worse than a neglected wardrobe ;-)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1421174314' post='2658068']
This is the case with the 3 closet shops to me unloved stock coupled with bad attitudes and I think this is why a lot of people now shop on line now as well as much cheaper prices
[/quote]

This generally isn't the reason why people shop online. It might be part of it, but convenience appears to be the biggest factor.

As I've said on the forum before - We need to show our local music shops some love. The very reason these instruments are unloved is because they're slow moving stock, because everyone is buying their bass online. We need to all pull in the same direction - Do we want basses in our shops, or do we want to buy online?

Threads like this one come up fairly regularly, and it seems that we turn our backs to the real problem behind the problem. The bass stock isn't poor because the managers don't care, it's because they don't sell. If they don't sell, they won't stock it. If we don't buy it, it disappears entirely from our shops. And the usual response is "I'd buy from them if they had a decent selection", but again, that's missing the point that we don't give them any good reason to offer us a good selection.

If you like the basses, ask them to be set up. Play the old strings - You'll get a general feel for the bass. If you like it, buy it. If not, nobody's any worse off.

I disagree. It IS the responsibility of the shop to adequately present their wares....

Trade price on a set of cheap rounds won't be much but will give the impression of the stock being good and looked after. Also, tune the bastid it takes no time at all and ensures a positive first impression.

Sorry but if you don't try, I no buy.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1421175566' post='2658095']
I disagree. It IS the responsibility of the shop to adequately present their wares....

Trade price on a set of cheap rounds won't be much but will give the impression of the stock being good and looked after. Also, tune the bastid it takes no time at all and ensures a positive first impression.

Sorry but if you don't try, I no buy.
[/quote]

If we don't buy, the shop doesn't try. 2-way street. We can't complain about shops not trying after declining bass sales. That's why I'm trying to say that we all need to pull in the same direction. Want basses in shops? Buy basses in shops. They are businesses, and they will stock things that sell, and not stock things that don't sell. After these basses have been sitting so long, once they're sold, do you think they'll be replaced with more bass stock?

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1421176171' post='2658109']
If we don't buy, the shop doesn't try. 2-way street. We can't complain about shops not trying after declining bass sales. That's why I'm trying to say that we all need to pull in the same direction. Want basses in shops? Buy basses in shops. They are businesses, and they will stock things that sell, and not stock things that don't sell. After these basses have been sitting so long, once they're sold, do you think they'll be replaced with more bass stock?
[/quote]

I disagree we don't have an obligation to buy from them, they are the ones who are trying to make a living, don't make the effort, don't make the money.

This. ^

I take your point about declining markets but we owe shops nothing at all. If you like the item/price/service then do it but it the stock is in poor state then that leaves price and service. Why would you as a shop owner not try even just a little...speculate to accumulate and all that?

[/quote]

Your reasoning works (but only just...) for charity shops, and none other, I'd say. It's the onus of the outlet to promote good business, not the other way around.

Let me put it another way - This business owner has invested hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds of their own money into these instruments, and stocked them for a very small amount of potential customers. They sit, and gather dust, and the first person to try them out in weeks immediately goes online and complains about the quality of their presentation. Then everyone has a good old moan about how crap the bass selection is at their local shop.

Moaning doesn't change this. If you're happy for your local shop to just not stock basses, that's fine, don't buy basses from them. If you want them to stock basses, show them that there's a market, because currently, this thread could just be lifted as a template and posted as a new thread for most members.

It's all well and good saying that a set of strings is low-cost, but when you have to change the strings on 12 basses 2 or 3 times before they sell, especially when you've already reduced the price of them to incentivise selling, it's a completely worthless venture, looking at it from a business perspective.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1421176700' post='2658120']
This. ^

I take your point about declining markets but we owe shops nothing at all. If you like the item/price/service then do it but it the stock is in poor state then that leaves price and service. Why would you as a shop owner not try even just a little...speculate to accumulate and all that?
[/quote]

I completely agree.

However, a significant point has been overlooked. The wages that high street music stores pay are pitiful. You can't expect to get staff with experience of set-ups, basic repair work and maintenance AND trained in sales when you pay peanuts.

It's a catch 22, because you won't sell gear if it's not in decent condition but in order to get gear playing at its best, you need knowledgable staff (who cost more money!).

regardless of whether people are buying or not, it is the businesses responsibility to make their product sellable. you say they invest their own money, yes, but that is their choice, they chose to sell things and as such, their business must revolve around selling things.

if i was selling a car and it was covered in mud and the tyres were worn, it wouldn't sell... the only way it would sell is if i put new tyres on and gave it a wash.

lets be honest, the first thing you look for when you go in a music shop is the "oo that bass looks nice" factor. no one is saying they have to be perfectly set up, but clean and with non rusty strings is a basic requirement in my book.

buying instruments and allowing them to lose their shine and become unplayable is just a poor business model

[/quote]

Got to disagree. If I went into this shop and the basses were in the state described, I would walk right back out again never to return, If you are selling the product, it is in your interest to show the product in its best light. Bad set up and rusty strings? There is no excuse for this.

And I buy most of my basses from shops but ones where they pay some attention to the condition of the product they are selling.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"So I found myself with an hour to kill today between finishing a days work and meeting my wife for a quick drink before heading home. I went to my local music shop just to keep abreast of their stock and see what they had in."[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And how many other musos kill time, often without even buying strings? [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm in retail(not music) - we now shut at 4 because we got totally pi**ed off with people killing time before their bus left....I used to stay open until 6, and it was a novelty to take more than a fiver.....Mary Portas can have it, as far as I'm concerned.....and while I'm on the rant, totally crapped off with peeps who come in to mine & then go on line to get it cheaper(?) having worked out that it's what they want (at our expense). [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And breath...........[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1421176700' post='2658120']
This. ^

[/quote]

The speculation already happened when they ordered them in to the shop. Anything above that is just money out of the profit. As Truckstop said, the basses were already well priced, obviously to encourage sales.

The shop also owes us nothing. Yet we expect so much.

There are fewer blacksmiths in business these days (and the ones that are, are very good...). There is less milk delivered to the doorstep these days (sorry, Ernie...). There are few filling stations which will greet you with a cleaned windshield and an offer to check the oil. Times change; things move on (for better or worse...). On-line sales have cut the ground from under all retail shops. Some will survive (the very, very good ones, with something to offer that t'web does not...). The rest will go the way of all other redundant services. They'll get other jobs, start other businesses, invest elsewhere. It's no use blowing down a dodo's throat. It's dead. Deceased. Gawn, kicked its bucket, missed the boat. I see no problem with that, except nostalgia. I liked the friendly grocer, with his beige coat and spectacles, who filled a cardboard box with my groceries and had 'em delivered by a lad on a bike far too big for him. I guess I'm just a soppy ol' sentimental, though. :blush:[size=4] [/size]

I've worked in clothing & outdoor pursuits retail & even the days when you couldn't care less you check the stock,clean the mirrors,rearrange stuff to catch the eye. Also trying stuff on getting a feel for the garment,generally increase your product knowledge... I imagine if I worked in a shop with instruments they wouldn't look like the ones mentioned! Where's the pride of the staff? A daily checklist would have on it things like tune & dust the instruments-rust on strings is out of order. The only music shops I have personal experience of have staff who are musicians working there probably not getting paid much but allowing a certain lifestyle to be maintained..the same is not true in other retail businesses where a young inexperienced person is hired to stand behind a till & sell add-ons. If the shop wants to sell it's stock IT has to make the effort to get us through the door...then provide the product & service. I'll only not buy from local shops if the item I want is absolutely unavailable from them. In the higher price you pay in a shop, you are paying for that service,relationship, being able to touch & try...& it feels great walking out with a new bit of gear!

Edited by dieseldalziel

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421178312' post='2658158']
...a lad on a bike far too big for him.
[/quote]

I take your point, Douglas. But if what's wanted is bass buying purely online, why start a thread to moan about local shops not doing a good enough job? Local shops know all the selling happens online, and that's why they put no effort into selling some things.

If you don't want to buy basses from your local music shop, don't be disappointed when they have nothing to offer you. That's all I'm saying.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1421178550' post='2658163']
But that's capitalism, baby? As a punter I have zero interest for the motives of a shop owner, it's a market in the truest sense of the word, if the other guy has fresher looking plums than you, don't expect to sell many plums! ;)
[/quote]

I wouldn't want anyone looking at or feeling my plums....