Why become a member? ×

Warwick Fretless

Wymanite

Hi,

I've joined this forum to seek advice on this very topic.

I'm on the market for another bass and I can't decide between a Gibson SG bass and a Warwick fretless. I've played the SG in my local music shop and its lovely, and I played a cheap fretless there which was good fun but ugly. I'll have to travel to London to try a Warwick but I'd like to know people's thoughts on the Warwick fretless.

Haven't had the pleasure of a fretless warwick yet.
Any particular model you're interested in?

If you haven't already, it would be worth posting this on the warwick forum.

http://forum.warwick.de/forumdisplay.php/10-Warwick-Bass

I own a Rockbass Corvette 5 fretless, and I'm waiting for Thomann to deliver me another, this time a Corvette Pro. If you are a fan of the Warwick sound, which I definitely am, and don't mind them being a bit on the heavy side, their fretless models are every bit as good (sound-wise, quality-wise and playability-wise) as the fretted ones - and the fingerboard is usually ebony :)

I'm not the biggest fan of WW's.
( I owned a '91 Thumb5 NT which was ergonomically not for me and the sound was not for my liking either)

But. One of the best fretless sounds I've heard came from Thumbs, both BO and NT. Strong, not too soft, not too harsh, right in the middle and cuts through really well.
I think the pickup placement and the usual Thumb wood combination really contribute to it.
So should I want to have a fretless bass in the future, a BO WW Thumb5 will be one of the choices I'll be looking at.

That's true Bluejay. My Thumb had a great neck, the thing I did not like about the design of the bass is that the 1st position was a lot more far left that normally. (I don't know if that makes sense. The Thumb has a short top horn and an already small body and it makes the neck feel longer than it is, reaching farther to the left than my other basses. Actually even my Dingwall with 37" feels closer. )
But then again it is all personal and could get used to it myself.

I have 2 Streamers. 1x LX fretless 2008 and 1x Fretted Stage 1 fretted 2005.

The neck depth, nut width and general profiles are about identical. They're moderately slim and about 40mm wide. They're really comfortable to to me and I love the sound of both. The fretless is unlined with side dots at 1,3,5,7,9,etc

I've got Chromes on the fretless and the sound variation is amazing using the onboard EQ and also great in passive mode.

Would I buy it again? You bet! Any day.

You're certainly welcome to try mine.

[quote name='Wymanite' timestamp='1421093317' post='2657111']
Thanks Grangur! Warwick seems to be getting positive reviews, I'll make a trip up the smoke to a dealer there and give one a bash. Can't find them anywhere in South Wales.
[/quote]

I sometimes get to travel to Bristol for work. If I can wangle a trip there in the coming few weeks I'll drop you a line if that's any help. It would be in the week though. :(

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1421096357' post='2657156']
I sometimes get to travel to Bristol for work. If I can wangle a trip there in the coming few weeks I'll drop you a line if that's any help. It would be in the week though. :(
[/quote]

Ta very much for the offer, very kind :) I'm up in London with work very soon anyway and will be looking for an excuse to go for a wander. I'll accidentally get lost down Denmark Street.

I still have my Warwick Streamer LX 6 String fretless available if you are interested. (the one in my profile pic)? It was my main bass for many years but fretted suits my style more nowadays.

Let me know if you have any specific Warwick fretless questions, even if your not actually interested in buying mine. Happy to help.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210724-fsft-warwick-stream-lx-6-string-fretless-1990s-price-drop

I am in the lucky position of having both. Warwick build is outstanding, Gibson is very good. They are very different basses, I would not hesitate on either and at the moment some spectacular bargains are around in the current financial climate.

I only play 4 strings, not interested or technically good enough to play one with any more strings :P Fretless question for you though, I've heard some people say that using roundwounds on a fretless damages the finger board and you lose impact after a while. Is this true? I've got flats on my Wyman and Hofner basses, so would like something different.

Gibson SG special bass is at a criminally low £649, do you know of any Warwick bargains 3below?

No problem, not trying to push a sale!
Regarding strings, here's my thoughts (although I guarantee some will disagree).
I was also told that I 'had to use flat wounds' since I bought my fretless warwick 12 years ago. I just accepted it and got on with it. To be honest, if you're in jazz quartets, as I was, trying to emulate a double bass then its perfect. But I had two problems, I felt the flat wounds weren't making the full use of the 'growl' you can get out of Warwicks, and 2 the only decent flat wounds I trusted were Thomastik infeld. (at over £70 for a set on a six string bass) this was not particularly affordable.
My then bass teacher posed an interesting question (he was also a 6 string fretless player) if you prefer round wound (my favourites being Warwick Black Label at £32 per 6 string set) then try them. If the very worst happened and it damaged the finger board then the cost of having the fingerboard completely re-skimmed and professionally finished would be covered by the cost saving of 2-3 sets of string (£38 difference per string change!) Now if you need a finger board refinishing every 3 string changes then there is something very wrong. So I went ahead and did it.
The Result:
Amazing fretless sound, really lets you dial in the funk but play up the finger board and you get the smooth double bass sound again. I've never looked back. I'll be honest there are some slight marks visible on the finger board but it hasn't changed the sound and I've never even considering the original idea of having to have it refinished.
A couple of disclaimers: 1. I'm originally a cello player (you can only use flat round due to the bow) so have nothing against flat wounds. 2. My Warwick finger board is ebony. an extremely hard wood (known for being so dense it sinks in water) so you may get problems trying this on softer wood finger boards? 3. If you have a bad habit of bending the string then you may damage the board more, make sure you move your finger along the string instead of bending the strings since there is no need to bend on a fretless instrument.
- you may now start the arguments against my opinion.

[quote name='SimBass' timestamp='1421179856' post='2658190']
No problem, not trying to push a sale!
Regarding strings, here's my thoughts (although I guarantee some will disagree).
I was also told that I 'had to use flat wounds' since I bought my fretless warwick 12 years ago. I just accepted it and got on with it. To be honest, if you're in jazz quartets, as I was, trying to emulate a double bass then its perfect. But I had two problems, I felt the flat wounds weren't making the full use of the 'growl' you can get out of Warwicks, and 2 the only decent flat wounds I trusted were Thomastik infeld. (at over £70 for a set on a six string bass) this was not particularly affordable.
My then bass teacher posed an interesting question (he was also a 6 string fretless player) if you prefer round wound (my favourites being Warwick Black Label at £32 per 6 string set) then try them. If the very worst happened and it damaged the finger board then the cost of having the fingerboard completely re-skimmed and professionally finished would be covered by the cost saving of 2-3 sets of string (£38 difference per string change!) Now if you need a finger board refinishing every 3 string changes then there is something very wrong. So I went ahead and did it.
The Result:
Amazing fretless sound, really lets you dial in the funk but play up the finger board and you get the smooth double bass sound again. I've never looked back. I'll be honest there are some slight marks visible on the finger board but it hasn't changed the sound and I've never even considering the original idea of having to have it refinished.
A couple of disclaimers: 1. I'm originally a cello player (you can only use flat round due to the bow) so have nothing against flat wounds. 2. My Warwick finger board is ebony. an extremely hard wood (known for being so dense it sinks in water) so you may get problems trying this on softer wood finger boards? 3. If you have a bad habit of bending the string then you may damage the board more, make sure you move your finger along the string instead of bending the strings since there is no need to bend on a fretless instrument.
- you may now start the arguments against my opinion.
[/quote]

Thanks for that :) I love flatwounds but a large part of me thinking about a Warwick fretless is because Jack Bruce used one. I loved the sound he was able to get at the Cream 2005 reunion, and he used round wounds. I'm glad they work well and don't damage the finger board.

I haven't tried a Warwick fretless yet but currently choosing between a Warwick and Gibson is one of the most difficult choices I've had to make :P just waiting for my 1964 Framus Star Bass to sell...

[quote name='Wymanite' timestamp='1421175442' post='2658093']
I only play 4 strings, not interested or technically good enough to play one with any more strings :P Fretless question for you though, I've heard some people say that using roundwounds on a fretless damages the finger board and you lose impact after a while. Is this true? I've got flats on my Wyman and Hofner basses, so would like something different.

Gibson SG special bass is at a criminally low £649, do you know of any Warwick bargains 3below?
[/quote]

I've got Chromes on my fretless, but looking forward to following advice from Tony Franklin - use rounds for more growl.
Discussing this with others I've heard that Elixirs are smooth enough for them to not wear the fingerboard, but give the growl. I certainly like them on my fretted W'wicks

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1421046009' post='2656444']
It's just worth remembering that current/contemporary Warwick necks are as thin as those of any other make. They were thicker only for a short period in the 1990s IIRC.
[/quote]

Generally, the Warwick "Baseball Bat" neck period was 1999/2000-2009. The handmade eighties and early nineties bass were very slim, mid to late nineties they were all over the place. Post 2009 they went back to being slim again, although not as slim as the vintage models (however that profile is available as a CS option).

I have actually never played a fretless Warwick somehow(!), however I'm sure they are great, providing you like the Warwick tone! Very different from an SG, have you tried both? Just choose the year wisely. If you like slim necks, look at pre-1999 and post-2009 models, if you like the thick necks then grab something built in the naughties.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1421181894' post='2658234']
Generally, the Warwick "Baseball Bat" neck period was 1999/2000-2009. The handmade eighties and early nineties bass were very slim, mid to late nineties they were all over the place. Post 2009 they went back to being slim again, although not as slim as the vintage models (however that profile is available as a CS option).

I have actually never played a fretless Warwick somehow(!), however I'm sure they are great, providing you like the Warwick tone! Very different from an SG, have you tried both? Just choose the year wisely. If you like slim necks, look at pre-1999 and post-2009 models, if you like the thick necks then grab something built in the naughties.
[/quote]

This confuses me, my basses are 2008 and 2005 Both have 38.9mm nuts and the neck depth front to back is 20mm approx.

You sound so very informed and accurate, but mine don't comply. I also don't recall re-carving them with a Stanley knife and if someone else did, they did a real pro job.

My basses are:

J147007-08 - Fretless
H117225-05 - Fretted
K110687-04 - Corvette

All the necks are the same and the fretted Streamer is a neck-through, so I doubt that's been changed. (before you suggest the necks aren't original)

Please explain. I'm looking forward to learning from a real Warwick expert like yourself.

Edited by Grangur

I think the warwick 90s -09 period was more "all over the place " than all baseball bats.
I've played several that were great and a few that weren't. Seems to be a lack of consistency, or maybe design changes over the years but I haven't actually logged all the build years and sat and compared them.
My advice is try one and see how you got on with it

Regarding the flat wound or not debate. The best sounding fretless I've come across at the moment is wearing a set of roundwound Elixirs. Lovely tone. Flat wounds I find are too thumpy