Why become a member? ×

westbury track 4

anDy LAKIN

Hi im looking for info regarding the track 4, mainly what were the original pick ups (i think di marzio's are they good?) and what would be the price for a good one.

i have found out that they were made by matsumoku but im not sure when i believe about the 80's

what features should they have from original and are they prone to any problems, anything to look out for if buying one

thanks in advance

Andy

Jon (Bassassasin) has got one of these - actually a Track 2 I think - so he'll be able to give you some more details. The bridges are about as strong as plasticine and are often bent or otherwise broken so keep an eye out for that. You can pick up replacement 3 point bridges but that's a possible expense to be aware of.

Musky's right about the bridges - this seems to be a flaw on a few early 80s Matsumokus with 3-point bridges, but they are interchangeable with any 3-point design so finding a replacement (if necessary) shouldn't be a problem. This is mine when I got it:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:45688]

On a bass like a Track 4 I might feel inclined to replace it with something like a Hipshot Supertone or the new Babicz 3-point.

Pickups were DiMarzio as standard, again something found on a lot of Mat basses at the time, should be wired for series/parallel switching which makes them quite versatile. Cream covers should be standard, you can check authenticity by hex key size (DiMarzios are imperial) or wiring colour, which will be white & green/black & red.

The Ebay sale at £190 is an indication how far vintage MIJ prices have fallen in the last few years, the Track 4 is pretty high spec (set neck/carved top etc) and 5 or 6 years ago £350-£400 would be more usual for a good original bass. These are actually pretty scarce, much less common than the single-pickup/bolt neck Track 2 like mine.

Jon.

• 6 years later...

I love these basses. 
I currently have two. 
they are definitely dimarzio pups. 
unfortunately I have one that has an arched bridge, but that hasn’t moved in the nearly ten years I’ve owned it. 
they’re very underrated as instruments, and unfortunately seem to have been easy targets for people that like to attack basses with chisels and stuff. 😳

I have a Track two in my collection and it's my go-to for standard tuned stuff. The stock pickup is a DiMarzio Model P and I loved it so much I put a model P in my MIM Precision. 

If you've got bridge problems I recommend replacing the stock one with a Hipshot Supertone. It's a big hunk of metal, but man does it help.  

I used it recently for this video. The basses you see are the basses that were used to record that portion of the song. 

Edited by Bassmingo
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 01:18, dudewheresmybass said:

they’re very underrated as instruments, and unfortunately seem to have been easy targets for people that like to attack basses with chisels and stuff. 😳

Haha- indeed.

I notoriously took a jigsaw to a Track 4 bass and the equivalent guitar model to create a demountable double neck. This was sometime in the early 80s and unfortunately I have no photographic evidence of it whatsoever. In fact the topic came up with an old friend of mine recently and I’m afraid that I can’t even remember what happened to it/ them in the end. I only know that I no longer have them. 
it was a good bass with that favourite pickup configuration of mine, the double P. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am looking to buy a Westbury Track 4 bass guitar. The model I would like is brown finish, one volume, one tone control, 3-way pick-up selector switch and two mini switches for I believe phase control. Is there anyone out there who would be prepared to sell one of these bass guitars, please?90e726_b72289a1188d4df4b63409310bb0c945_mv2_d_3064_5456_s_4_2.thumb.jpg.883f4ee5a0e25617b1e57050eac8fad0.jpg Best wishes, Mr Stojan Vukic.

Edited by Stojan Vukic
  • Like 1