Why become a member? ×

Ive gone off Fender.

bubinga5

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1420998387' post='2656003']
Buy what you like and play what you like.

[quote name='fretlessguy' timestamp='1421384563' post='2660617']
Truer words are very rarely spoken.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. It doesnt really matter what it says on the headstock. I had years of "not liking" Fenders, and then was forced to borrow a Squier PB when my main bass jack broke halfway through a set.. Didn't like the neck but loved the tone. I eventually bought a US special PB with a thin (jazz style) neck so I get the tone and a neck I like. I dont really use my old bass much any more.

I posted this same thing in the industry standard thread.
My mate did a tour with the band Coast and I lent him my Geddy Lee bass. He absolutely loved it and said that the rest of the band kept asking, did you bring the Fender? They said it sat in the mix much better than previous basses had.

There's something to be said when non bass playing musicians state a preference for a particular guitar.

I love my Vintage P & J's but find some of the more sophisticated admittedly better made alternatives lacking somehow. Having said this De Gier basses look and sound like what I think a J or P should AND are made to a very high standard. Has anyone got one?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1420939618' post='2655387']
why its taken me this long after 15 Fenders to get to this way of thinking,? I'm not sure. maybe playing a Lakland J04 was the beginning of the end . i know I'm fed up with trying to find a good one. the conclusion is there are builders out there who can do that (my favourite tone) 70's jazz bass tone, but way better construction. I'm done with Fender. I've experienced too much sh*t. if i had played Lakland's or Sadowsky's all this time i wouldn't be posting.

i still want a good Fender P Bass, but the Fender Jazz is just not for me anymore. I'm sure there are some great Fenders out there but I'm bored of trying to find one. Give me a interpretation any day. show me a Fender that can match a Lakland or the better copies and i will play it. until then i will say goodbye to Leo.
[/quote]

100% agree with this. I got so fed up I started to build my own Fenders from raw materials.

I feel that modern-made Fender guitars/basses are frequently poor impersonations of older models. What you're really buying is the logo on the headstock. If you buy peanut butter, you don't want it to taste like toothpaste.

Edited by Bronner

Everybody plays a Fender P or a J, and I did for years. Great basses or everybody wouldn't be playing one.

Me, I never wanted to be "Everybody"

For me and some others, a bass is not only about tone it's about the [i]"look"[/i] too.

Blue

Edited by blue

Another non P that's fun to play.The Gibson Thunderbird. Back in the day ( 60s & 70s ) this was the bad a$$ bass to play. I don't think they're as popular these days. I showed mine to a friend, a younger bass player and his response;

[i]"Why did you buy this?"[/i]

Blue

I know, too many pics, somewhat relevant.I did not intend to hi jack the OPs thread

Edited by blue

I don't care that I play the same bass as everyone else. If that's what makes the sound in my head, so be it. I have modified my Precisions to my taste, but not much. Best sounding AND best looking bass for me. Nothing else comes close.
True-blue Fender-head and happy with it!

I went off fender, mainly due to boredom of my decade playing a mim precision. But, after being round the houses, and finding some beauties, I now own a fender again, a jazz. Even thinking about another p, just to have one. I'm not even fussed by the brand, it's just hearing a killer bassline and knowing that it's played on a p or j bass, and it doesn't sound the same if it isn't played on a p or j. Playing a Jamerson line on an Ibanez, although it sounds good, feels wrong, but that's just me.

Got my fender P (natural/maple Rocco signature bass) out of the case yesterday , I'd put it away to sell it and have spent time getting used to 2 other basses. Expected to hate playing it , but the opposite happened.

Every other road I go down, the Fender P always calls back

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1422707577' post='2675841']
you'll find you if just play the root note rather than getting a bit adventurous they'll probably comment favourably on that too ;)
[/quote]

Well this boy is a professional musician, who teaches guitar at a very high level. He was depping on bass for the band. He learned the bass parts from the albums, so very unlikely he was playing just root notes. He did say that after the first few gigs, the band asked did he bring the Fender because they thought that previous bass players hadn't sounded so good . He's not one to be big in it, so I think he was meaning the sound rather than his amazing bass playing.