Why become a member? ×

SWR - Super Redhead, or Black Beauty

chrisgil

Personally I dont like either,I guess the Redhead is a lot more versitile for studio use,IMHO,I feel theres better stuff available at similer prices,SWR's sound has never really caught my ear,and It dosent have the muscle or grit I like.

Must you go combo? I take its a 2x10.

What musical styles/situations are you going to be playing in?

We can only offer opinions and ideas,If you like it or either,blindfold yourself,turn you back and get the staff to switch you from one to the other..whichever you like..purchase. ^_^

I agree - never seen the point of bulky combos. Head and cab way to go - especially if light weight neo's.

Not sure I agree with argh about sound of SWR though. As always, personal preference and playing style etc. but I did a gig recently with a hired SWR SM500 and a 4 ohm Goliath 4x10. SWR one of the few brands I haven't used before and I was well impressed. Really suited my playing style. So much so I'm seriously considering changing rigs.

Is the Black Beauty a 15" driver? If so I guess choice depends on speaker preference. 2X10 Redhead for me.

I used to use a Redhead at the studio and really liked it. I don't think you would go far wrong with one if that is the sound you are after. I have heard people reccomend changing the speakers for better rated ones giving more headroom. As it was, we were micing it up and never had to crank it much. I agree heavy combos are a bit silly (as the owner of a Trace v4 which I am sure is the heaviest bass combo ever) but it is just amazing. definitely a stay at home amplifier though!

Indeed it is a very particular sound, as are Trace amplifiers. I think a bonus in the studio was that it recorded so well and was so clear that you could EQ anything you wanted after-the-fact if you needed to. They look nice too ;0)

Well, seeing as I recommended it in the first place then my choice would be for the Super Redhead but as long as you realise it IS a bit of a beast for transporting. It is a great sound for a Stingray, to my ears anyway.

I've owned both the Redhead and the Black Beauty.

The redhead is a versatile combo, but as somebody mentioned, the PAS drivers dont last very long if you really crank it. I used mine with a 1x15 extension cab and it was a smooth sounding setup though in truth it was more suited to blues or jazz or pop than all out rock.

I changed to the Black Beauty as I liked the idea of going to a 2x15 setup. The BB is much more rock-centric but suprisingly sounded decidedly dull with a 1x15 extension. I ended up running mine with a 2x10 cab so pretty much ended up back where I started! However, the BB is a bit more powerful (350w @ 4ohm, 400 @ 2.8 and 450 @2) and it sounds it to my ears.

However, I have since moved on to a 750x head, simply because if you like the SWR sound (and I do) you just want more of it!

I'm the lucky owner of the super redhead, i'm lucky enough to have the option
of using mine with a 2 x 10 or an 1 x 15 extension cab & i can coax any sound
i wish from it either for rock, pop,blues( jazz if i could play it) & its especially good on funk.

I haven't used the Black beauty combo myself, but i'd say it has a slightly fuller / warmer sounding bottom end
than the super redhead although i'm not sure what eq'ing options that is has available to it.

Yes it is a weighty combo, but it'll do the job for me.

Oh a quick add on which my fellow swr user JpJ forgot to mention, the redhead is rated at 240 watts @ 4 ohm
& the super redhead is rated at 350 watts @ 4ohm.

Looks like someone is going to sell me a Black Beauty, and I cant see the Super redhead for sale anywhere so I reckon I will get it.

Sold the Eden cabs

Just need to sell the WT800 now if anyone is interested? - £650

I didnt get on with the Eden stuff. Just couldnt get the sound I like

I,m currently using the singers old SWR workingmans 15 combo which sounds great, so Im pretty sure the BB will do the job.

[quote name='chrisgil' post='29259' date='Jul 9 2007, 07:15 PM']I,m currently using the singers old SWR workingmans 15 combo which sounds great, so Im pretty sure the BB will do the job.[/quote]

Makes sense to me! The Eden and SWR default tone are pretty far removed, much more low midrange in the former. The BB should sound like a louder clearer Workingmans 15. At least it has wheels...

Alex

• 2 weeks later...