Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

The only bass I would buy back would be the vigier passion series III 5 I got about 8 years ago from Ped, and then sold on to fund the purchase of my Warwick streamer stage 2. Nine of my basses now are any I would consider for a sale but still, that vigier was pretty special.

• Like 1

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1437986491' post='2830465']
Sold a Tokai Hardpuncher TWICE, because I couldn't quite get the sound I wanted out of her, when really I just didn't know what sort of pickups I was after.

I bought her brand new in a shop in Bath around 2003/4. Made in Japan with new style headstock, cream with matching headstock, gold hardware. I managed to find a rare P bass Pickup cover in gold for it as well.

The last person I sold it to Steve on Finnbass. I believe he still had it according to a post in 2013. I hope to get her back one day, a lot of memories in that bass! Many of my first decent gigs were played on it.

[/quote]

I can see why you'd be regretting selling this - it's a beaut - love white and gold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 19, (40 years ago!), I bought a (then) 3 year old Fender Jazz. It had been sunburst originally, but the previous owner had stripped and varnished it - except under the scratchplate! It was so great to play, even better when I added a Fender Bassman 50 Export and its matching 2 x 15" cab to the package shortly afterwards. Thought that it would work for me forever and a day.....but one day, I convinced myself that a brand new Shergold Marathon fretless was the way forward for me. Did a straight swap with the music shop in Bristol...they must have laughed their heads off. Sold the amp set-up as well soon afterwards......soooooo stupid.

Couldn't carry it around now, mind....ah but if I had the bass back :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...

Ibanez Musician, ivory pearl, 4 knobs, serial number 6850136. My first proper bass, bought for £230 in Birmingham about 1990. I didn't know what I was doing them and couldn't get a decent sound out it so I traded it at Musical Exchanges (wish that was still going) for a Wal fretless which thankfully I still have.
I would love to get the old Ibanez back so if anyone knows where it is...?

• Like 1

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499152927' post='3329476']

Following on from this, the new owner posted to the Travis Bean Resource about something, I replied, a year later, he replied.

The bass is in Oxford... I'm hoping to cop a feel of it when we play there in September. Woop.
[/quote]

Where in Oxford? I might pop down.

Jaydee Supernatural Roadie 2A in tobacco sunburst. Not the flashiest Bass in the world - but I sold something similar to buy another Bass - a flashier looking, signature Jaydee!

I would love to have her back. This was my 2nd ever Bass, and I learnt tons. I feel I would do her more justice now - and not in any weird way you understand...

It would just take too long to have another one made... or would it ?? :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 02/02/2016 at 23:08, BrunoBass said:

I had a candy apple red Patrick Eggle New York bass which I was very lucky to win in a Melody Maker competition in 1995. I remember it took an age to get hold of it because the features ed had taken it out on tour with his band. Anyway it eventually arrived in mint condition and I loved it; amazing tones, great neck, lightweight, cool Ricky-esqe styling and superb build quality. I loved that bass. Sadly a couple of years later I needed some money and I had to let either the Eggle or my Silver Series Precision go. By dint of being more versatile, the P Bass won. I can't remember how much I sold the Eggle for now, but I wonder what happened to it. I'd certainly like another one someday.

Screenshot_20240316_002514_Chrome.jpg

On 10/01/2015 at 20:42, Oneandfive said:

And my Shaftesbury R&&&Kfekker copy with grafted-on Gibson pickup. (Classy guy, me).Much better than you might think.

I appreciate that its now nine years on from your comment, but it wasn't me that raised this thread from the dead.

Anyway, it wasn't this one was it? The only Shafty faker I've ever seen with a Gibbo pickup.

Shafty2.jpg

Edited by AMV001
Photo edit

On 16/03/2024 at 15:41, police squad said:

I sold it to @BMBR 6 months later. I wished I hadn't now but we all know how it is

Hope you're well @NancyJohnson

It's odd, I mean I love the Lull, but that white one was the first; bought it in through Ishibashi, somehow I avoided import duties (the bloke at the depot where I picked it up from was a bass player, he asked what it was, I told him, he went, 'Aaw, maaaan,' and nothing changed hands!).

• Like 1

I kinda wish I still had one of my Yamaha TRB5II's. I don't know for sure if it would get much use, but I think the 35" scale would lend itself well for tuning down to A, as required for my doom band. My first TRB5II was also the first "proper" bass that I ever bought, and one of the few I've ever bought new. 

My Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn Bass (kind of a high end boutique clone of the Danelectro Longhorn Bass).

The guy who made these retired, and even if I had the kind of money to buy one used they extremely rarely ever pops up on the used market.

And then my 28 5/8" scale 4 string bass that I had made out of Warmoth baritone parts, with a Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker Neck pickup in the neck position, and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails guitar pickup in the bridge position.

Don't have any pictures of the Jerry Jones, but this is what the sub-short scale Warmoth bass looked like (went a little overboard when designing the headstock admittedly):

image.thumb.png.344d2e4bbcab3917dcea92c6e333d4d1.png  

Both sounded and played absolutely amazing.

Regret so much being stupid enough to sell both.

Kind of regret about the Dan Amrstrong Plexi Bass too, which I had 2 of those slide in replacement pickups for, even if to be honest I didn't really like neither how it played or how it sounded.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

My two were:-

A warwick NT1 streamer in gloss black.  offered on here but eventually sold on Facebook.  Was a lovlely bass but as it wasnt a P bass i moved it on.  Would love it back

A mid-90's MIJ 75 Jazz that was battered.  Sold again on Facebook and miss it dearly despite it being the heaviest bass ive ever played

I've had two Mocha or Walnut finish 74 P Basses since I moved over here in 2018. Both were killer, and instant regrets when the bills came a knocking. But the second one came back a few weeks ago after doing a bit of a tour of the countryside from South to North and back again after I covid-sold it...

At almost 8 lb 8 oz with a B neck and that lovely tone that drips out of the factory windings, it's cool to get a second chance at keeping it.

Mocha 74 2.jpg

• Like 3

On 20/03/2024 at 15:34, Longwheelbass said:

I've had two Mocha or Walnut finish 74 P Basses since I moved over here in 2018. Both were killer, and instant regrets when the bills came a knocking. But the second one came back a few weeks ago after doing a bit of a tour of the countryside from South to North and back again after I covid-sold it...

At almost 8 lb 8 oz with a B neck and that lovely tone that drips out of the factory windings, it's cool to get a second chance at keeping it.

Mocha 74 2.jpg

Lucky man. I love those walnut 70's P basses, theyre just so 70's,  and if its a good one then its a keeper. Having said that my walnut CV70 is not far off...

• Like 1