Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

Now let's see...
[list]
[*]The green Kingbass (strangely appears to be blue in nearly every photo of it) in Snook's avatar
[*]The green Overwater I sold to a French fella
[*]The MM Ray I sold to Sshorepunk - best neck on any Ray I've ever played
[/list]
Never regretted selling any Fender I owned.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard which I augmented with EMG-HB pickups, an EMG-BQC 3 band EQ and a selector switch in the rightful place. The only bass I've ever regretted selling. Unsurprisingly, the guy I sold it to is very happy with it, but he is aware that I would buy it back in a heartbeat if it were to become available ;)

My Stingray, didn't know I wanted it back until it popped up on here. Glad I did and I'm getting on better with it now than I did first time round.

I still keep an eye out for my '99 Japanese lefty Fender Jazz, my first quality bass and easily as good as the U.S. versions I've had since.

1984/5 Squier P-Bass. It was an SQ series in white that had aged beautifully into a cream colour, white scratchplate. Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It had a distinctive knick around the 12th fret, like a diagonal slash. I sold it to some guy down south (who was buying it on behalf of his son) for absolute peanuts when I was poor. I wonder where it is now? or even if a member of this very forum has it. I miss this bass hugely. Would love to have it again.

Also a 1998 Yamaha TRB4II in Orange (serial number had an 8fk or something). My first 'real' bass. Huge sentimental attatchment to it but, again, sold when I was desperate for cash. Sold it to a guy who worked in PMT in Oxford circa 2005. I would literally pay anything to get my paws on this again! I always wonder where it is right now and what stories it has to tell :)

Don't suppose anyone here has had either cross their path?

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420916619' post='2655070']
I wish I'd never sold on my '84 Ibanez Blazer. Bought it off FlatEric and used it solidly for 18 months. I bloody loved that thing I did. I think I fell out of love with the natural finish and stupidly moved it on. Tone in spades and lovely worn in maple neck. I used the money to buy my current squeeze (BB424x) so it's not all bad I suppose.

Truckstop
[/quote]

You know what mate. . . . . . even before reading this thread, I was just thinking the other day,
I wonder where it has ended up.
I really great bass that I moved on after I got my first RB650.
It just did what it said on the tin and it didn't matter if you bumped it into something.

I am now looking for another one!!!

Anyone know where it is?

:)

I had a beautiful playing and sounding Sunburst fretless USA P bass that was made in 97. I hardly ever used it so sold it to buy better amplification. It was the right thing to do and I have never regretted it but I would buy it back if it came up again.

More recently I traded in my my Sterling Ray35 against a SR5 Fretless. When I started looking for a backup it was still sitting at the back of the shop so I bought it back and am happy that I did.

Edited by Pinball

I rather regret letting my Squier CV Precision go (the one in that slightly odd pale blue) when I left Finland as it played and sounded great and was definitely a better bass than the VM that has taken its place. No regrets about the Fender US standard J bass I swapped here for a similar spec P which is now my main gigging bass.

Likewise no regrets about the Guild 301 which was so neck heavy it was unplayable standing up (my first 'decent' bass, back in 78 or 79) nor my white & maple Fender P bought new in the early 80s and sold to help fund a house move. Every time I see a pic of that bass now I hate the damn thing, looked like an anaemic ghost. Put me off maple boards for life!

There's only ever been one and it was this one

[URL=http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/Rickenbackers/DSC01673Large.jpg.html][IMG]http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Delberthot/Rickenbackers/DSC01673Large.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/Rickenbackers/DSC01668Large.jpg.html][IMG]http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/Delberthot/Rickenbackers/DSC01668Large.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is the Blueboy colour of the year but there were a batch of them that went out green. The most beautiful bass i have ever owned

I regret selling my Dan Armstrong bass a few years ago to a bloke who came all the way from Italy to collect it, I was unemployed and needed the money though !!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-14079-1296562618.jpg"]http://basschat.co.u...-1296562618.jpg[/url]

John

Edited by madshadows

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1420927640' post='2655263']
I had a cherry burst one with Amber L.E.D's.

Was a great bass.
[/quote]

There's actually a NS-94 with LEDs on evil bay at the moment. Pity about the LEDs, I'm really not a fan.

In 1981 I sold a two-tone sunburst Fender P - I still dream about that bass even though it was nearly 35 years ago! I have no idea what year it was but I think it was a 60s one. Oddly, the word 'Precision' on the decal seemed to be missing, and I've never worked out why. It makes it distinctive though, so I wonder if anyone out there owns it?

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1420997969' post='2655997']

There's actually a NS-94 with LEDs on evil bay at the moment. Pity about the LEDs, I'm really not a fan.
[/quote]

I dare say that's the one I used to own, bought from the Bass Centre in Manchester for £450 and then sold to Spectrum Music in whitefield.

There can't be many knocking around with LEDs.

A little bit of me thinks I should buy it back, but I'm not too flush at the minute, and the BIN price is way more than it's worth really.

Edited by AndyTravis

I don't have any bass regrets, I wouldn't mind having my Mayones custom Be4 back as it was built for me and I recorded my old band's album with it, but to be honest don't miss it.

There is an amp I'd like back though, I traded my EBS Fafner with Shep on here when we moved to a smaller house, I didn't realise I wanted it back until he put it up for sale.

I considered buying it, but better sense prevailed and I resisted; just got myself an HD350 though, so that's keeping me very happy.

There's a few I've sold over the years that I'd buy back in a heartbeat if they were to show up.

There is one bass in particular, though. Back in the mid-90s, I was craving a Sei, but couldn't afford one. So I hit on the idea of buying a bass body with through-neck from Brandoni, and got the guys at The Gallery to transform it into a pseudo-Sei. I loved that bass - I helped design the body shape. I had to sell it back in 2001 during a particularly difficult personal period, and would pay good money to get it back into my hands. I sold it to the guys at the old Bass Cellar in Denmark St, no idea what ended up happening to it after that. It had a Bartolini MME pickup, Schack 3-band electronics and a Kahler tremolo bridge.

Sounds a bit melodramatic, but that bass probably saved my life back in the late 90s.

This was it:
blackbird_bass_2.jpg.5fa3fb8caf0574641169d33014b079c0.jpgblackbird_bass_1.jpg.2b8971cd8c62d8253416e6985e7315c9.jpg

Edited by Russ
Re-uploaded pics - they vanished!

I think we've been here before.

My Travis Bean 2000 bass. #222. It was on eBay about 18 months ago. I mean, it played like a dog and was back-breakingly heavy, but it was like a piece of art and was stunningly beautiful.

Would I buy it back given the chance? Nope. Would I keep it if it was still mine? Yes.
P

I can't think of any bass I've sold that I'd like back. There are a couple of 4-strings that have moved on that would have liked as 5-string basses had they existed, but they don't and therefore I don't really miss them. Also I still own all the basses that have been my main instruments since I first started playing, so it's only the ones that I've dabbled with rather than relied on that have been sold.

Bravewood Pbass..maple neck. Every now and then I get Pbass envy....and that was the best I've owned (including the sunburst fretless that has been around here a few times). Maybe also a '98 Warwick Thumb, but it was a bit of a weird one...very odd balance standing up. Maybe I should've given it a bit longer.