Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

Edit April 2021 - now got the bass back!! 

We've all done it, sold a bass that should have been a keeper and then regretted it later.

There Is one I'd buy back in a heartbeat for purely sentimental reasons. A Stingray I had from 1996-2009 would be my absolute choice for this list. I was selling gear to save for a flat and stupidly let this one go, was making bad decisions due to rough stuff going on. 

The Stingray is natural and maple, has an added MM neck pickup and a Precision pickup in the middle. Was my first proper bass and I cut my teeth on that one.

Anyone seen her? What would you hope to get back if the current owner was reading this?

Stingray_zps621d2613.jpg

Edited by Chiliwailer

I must admit, I don't have any. I own two basses at the moment that are 'keepers' (one of which I've had for 11 years now) but I honestly wouldn't sell them unless I was forced to.

Everything else comes and goes, like most things in life and I'm fine with that.

My first bass, a Westone Raider I. I sold it to the Nuneaton branch of Cash Converters about a million (somewhere between 15 and 20) years ago. I adored that bass but it was either that or not eat that month (odd how having a wife can effect you. I had gone hungry many times in the past without ever considering selling my bass. And it wasn't even my fault we were skint!). Having said that, if I hadn't sold it It would probably still be my only bass, and I do love my BC Rich and my Cort.

Edited by KingBollock

I wish I'd never sold on my '84 Ibanez Blazer. Bought it off FlatEric and used it solidly for 18 months. I bloody loved that thing I did. I think I fell out of love with the natural finish and stupidly moved it on. Tone in spades and lovely worn in maple neck. I used the money to buy my current squeeze (BB424x) so it's not all bad I suppose.

Truckstop

I had a Silver Series Precision that was absolutely brilliant. Tone to die for, lightweight, slim neck, and it was black with a black plate. At the time it was duplicating the bitsa that I used most of the time so I stupidly decided to sell it - someone on Basschat called Tom bought it. Unfortunately I deleted the PM correspondence and can't remember anything else about him, so now can't get in touch to see if he wants to sell it back (TOM?). Although last I remember hearing he was in love with it.

Around 3 years ago I sold on a BassChat regular in the FS forums, an early 70s sunburst Precision that had been modded to have a Jazz width ebony fretless board, with added J pickup (so, a PJ fretless, cutting to the chase!) Think it was previously owned by BassBod, Beedster, Shaggy and possibly others.

Did my first ever fretless recording on it and it was like a comfy pair of old slippers, in retrospect the nicest fretless I have ever owned.

Sold it to a BCer who I have since nagged ceaselessly to sell back to me .... and he unsurprisingly won't (I wouldn't either)!

None for me - all my sales have been made for the right reasons. Still kicking myself about letting the status necked musicman mongrel I put together go for silly money. A regular on here has is now and had it refinished in black,

Not many. Only ever owned basses. Miss the Egmond (Super 8, I think) from my teens, not for its ludicrous neck dive or feeble output, but because I got it when I was 15.
And my Shaftesbury R&&&Kfekker copy with grafted-on Gibson pickup. (Classy guy, me).Much better than you might think.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:180625]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:180624]

Shame the pictures are round the wrong way, but here's a bass I'd like to track down! It was a 69ish (Ash?) P bass body that had been (as far as I can tell) stripped and refinished. The neck wasn't original and I suspect it was a US RI neck. The neck was dated 1982. It was an unusual P bass that had a pickup with Allen Key shaped poles, suggesting that it could have been a dimarzio. The neck IIRC was heavily figured and possibly bird's eye. Topping off the spec was a set of reverse Kluson keys, headstock strap button and black pickguard.

The artwork was a window sticker, thus came straight off without residue and the thumb rest was also removed before sale but would have left two screw holes behind.

I think a guy from Bury St Edmunds bought it from me, but this was well over 15 years ago!!!

I'm off to find some clearer pictures, but I have to say, this was one awesome sounding bass!

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1420926131' post='2655239']
Sold a Spector SSD NS-94 that I wish I hadn't. Would buy it right back if I ever saw it for sale.

[attachment=180623:Spector NS-94 102.JPG]
[/quote]

I had a cherry burst one with Amber L.E.D's.

Was a great bass.

A fretless Wal custom Mk1, it had birdseye maple facings and an unlined ebony fingerboard. It looked and sounded beautiful, but I got bored with bassplaying when the band I was in split so I traded it for a red strat and a vox at a shop (Kings Music?) in Sunderland in 1989 just before I left home.
I should have been hit over the head with a stocking full of sh*t!
I miss it more than Fleagle the beagle, who obviously was a dog, and my best friend!

Edited by rubis