Why become a member? ×

Learning songs, I'm struggling a bit here.

Les

I had a dep gig on boxing day where I had to learn 30 tracks in a week and a half.. The only way I could do it was to constantly listen to the set list, firstly, you need to know the songs you're learning, no point picking up your bass until you understand the structure of the songs.. Then, I'd break down the setlist, I started by picking 4 easy tracks and a hard track to work on a night, I'd pick the tracks apart and learn them in sections, then once I'd learnt the different parts, I'd play the whole track, then move to the next one.. Then keep playing them till my fingers hurt and I was too tired to carry on, then I'd rest the next day and not touch my bass...
One thing I found with trying to cram too much in your head in a short period is everything stops working, you get over tired trying to remember it all, and then the easiest tracks you end up messing up on, which is frustrating..
After your rest day, work on the next 5, but start by practicing the previous tracks you've already learnt..
It is all repetition, repetition.. Once you've learnt them, listen to the tracks and visualise what you play..

And I'm rambling total rubbish, but if you can get something from it, I guess that helps :-)

Edited by ken_white

The pointers listed above are valuable, and I've done most of them. One other thing that I do when I've had to learn many songs for a show in a very short time, is to simply put my first note for the questionable song on the setlist followed by the finger placement. For example, if my first note will be an F, up on the middle of the neck, and I'll be using my middle finger to start a walk, my cue might read: A/8th -- middle. Oftentimes, having that tiny roadmap is just enough to get the hands going when muscle memory takes over. Good luck.

<><Peace

Edited by dadofsix

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1421048898' post='2656454']
There is no shame in using cheat sheets, particularly when you have a lot of tracks to learn quickly. I don't want to open up the whole music stand debate again but you have to do what works best for you, I've never used one personally but I have had a pad on the floor, or on a monitor, or a sheet taped to back of a PA speaker with pointers on for anything I'm unsure of. I'm sure the other band members would rather you use cheat sheets and nail the songs. Once you've gigged them a few times you won't need the sheets, and to be honest you're the bass player so no-ones gonna be looking at you anyway!
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with cheat sheets. Have to be careful with them, theres an embarrassing (to me) gig on youtube where I look really nervous, as if I'm trying to avoid looking at the audience. But really I'm just struggling to see the writing in the dark.

Theres no rock n Roll in music stands though.