Why become a member? ×

Expression pedal with Zoom B3

citymariner

Hello all,

I'm looking to expand the functionality of my Zoom B3.

I want to add an expression pedal but having seen a zoom one it looks like it won't last 5 minutes being gigged regularly.

Is there a pedal someone could recommend and also what cable will I need to connect it up. Is it a TRS?

Any help and links greatly appreciated! I've looked everywhere for this info and can't seem to find it.

Kind regards,

Josh

Edited by citymariner

Yes, you'll need a TRS jack on your exp pedal. I have a Roland EV-5. It is made of plastic but it's lasted me years and still going strong. I can't comment on other pedals as I've just not had to use any others so far. You'll love using an exp pedal with the B3, for changing wet/dry blends, gain levels, octave levels, chorus levels - it's great fun.

Anybody knows if there's a way to use a Boss FV-50H as expression on the B3? It's a volume pedal but i've read online that some people can use it as expression on other units with a "Y" cable:

[quote]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Connect using a Y Cable to pedal input & output.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]TRS end of Y cable to G Pedal EXP input
FV-50H IN --> Y-CABLE RING TS plug
FV-50H OUT --> Y-CABLE TIP TS plug[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Many thanks for the replies. Managed to get a cheap Boss FV500H then read the measurements... seems I'll have to ditch everything on my pedaltrain2 just to get it on haha!

I've gone for a TRS to TRS cable but browsing random threads about expression medals for stuff like the M9 etc they advise using 2 mono to TRS as apparently you get better travel out of the cable.

@ratman - I never knew you could change all those parameters - the fun factor just shot up a bit more.

Now, back to sitting by the postbox....

You can't assign every parameter to the control pedal unfortunately, but they give you enough to have lots of fun. To see what's available, press the TOTAL button. In the right hand window, and in the CTRL PDL tab, scroll the left knob to see what's available. What these parameters are depends on what effects you have in each slot. And you can only have one parameter selected for each bank of 3 effects. But you can always copy the bank to a new memory slot, then assign a different footswitch parameter. Simples! Have fun.

• 4 years later...