Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1497335484' post='3317312']
There was actually one small disappointment. It didn't come with one if those nice gig bags...
[/quote]

When i got V7 (when they first came out) I emailed Sire about the bags and they sent me two free of charge (i had planned on getting a second V7, but haven't bothered yet). Now THATS good customer service :-)
I see that Thomanns sell them for £60 now. They are nice bags but nothing you cant get close to for less money if you actualy need a bag and not just looking for a complete package.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1497352735' post='3317443']
And how is the neck thickness?
[/quote]

I love the neck. I am really used to a nice chunky neck as my first bass was a 50's style Fender P. This is nice a broad but thinnish to me. Super Comfortable. For the sound and feel I think this is a lot of bass for the money. A lot!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1497355079' post='3317471']

When i got V7 (when they first came out) I emailed Sire about the bags and they sent me two free of charge (i had planned on getting a second V7, but haven't bothered yet). Now THATS good customer service :-)
I see that Thomanns sell them for £60 now. They are nice bags but nothing you cant get close to for less money if you actualy need a bag and not just looking for a complete package.
[/quote]

yeah, I actually don't need one BUT because I'd seen so many unpacking Vic's with the case in it I was kind of expecting one even if the Thomann website doesn't say the item cones with one...

• 4 weeks later...

Being on holiday and being bored is a bad thing....

I`ve been looking for a Jazz for a few weeks now and was looking on the Thomman site, as you do.

Spotted a rather nice V7 Vintage in black and maple. Now, I wasn`t keen on the MM before as I din`t like the big chunky bridge design but this model has a meatier version of the BBOT design. :unsure:

2 mins later it`s bought and hopefully mine before the end of the week. Now I just need to thin the heard down a bit to pay for it!

Two weeks since I bought my first sire - a lovely v7 5 string in white with rosewood fingerboard and block inlays.

I can't put it down, it's a keeper. Love the preamp, love the lightweight body, looks ace and the fit and finish is way above what I would expect of a cheap instrument.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1499728863' post='3333234']
Excellent work! Let us know how you get on with it. A Sire may be on the horizon for me at some point too...
[/quote]

I have never though of buying one before as I don`t like the look of the control knobs or the original bridge but the if the bass looks as good as it does in the pictures, I can live with the knobs or maybe I will change them. It`s been shipped and I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1499772982' post='3333472']
Nice work, I'm sure you will love it - I'm contemplating changing the knobs on mine tbf, they don't look that good BUT they are solid, I haven't noticed any functional issue with mine.

I did have to look up the controls bit I'm used to it now.
[/quote]

Im sure you know but there is also a trim pot inside the control cavity that allows you to control the output levle of the pre amp. Handy if you switch back and forth between the two modes.

No problem. I have the active output set slightly lower than the passive, as i tend to boost the lows a bit in active. This does seem to help keep a more consistent output level between the two modes, and also gives me a quick way to change the overall tone of the bass with the flick of a switch. In a way I think i prefer the passive tone anyway, but it seems a shame to not use the wonderful Heratige 3 pre amp.

Well the bass turned up this morning, ordered 1pm on Monday, delivered 10am this morning. Great service.

But this bass isn`t for me, I just don`t like it. It looked really nice in the pictures but in the flesh, it just ain`t for me. The bass has a small mark on the bottom edge close to the jack which I have told them about so I will see how it pans out.

Feeling a bit deflated as I was really looking forward to getting this and gigging it on Saturday night :(

For me, a bass has to look good. The bridge looks like something from a cheap knock off bass and those control knobs, I would not be able to live with them. Not very keen on the look of the headstock either.

Lots of good tones available and the neck is a great shape for me but I just don`t like the look of the bass, so back it must go.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1499959003' post='3334850']
For me, a bass has to look good. The bridge looks like something from a cheap knock off bass and those control knobs, I would not be able to live with them. Not very keen on the look of the headstock either.
[/quote]
If the knobs are a problem, you could always do what I did...

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1500136147' post='3335862']
Where did you get those knobs?
[/quote]
Good old fleabay Luke :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272025140365
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371078038182
The single knobs needed drilling out to a plain 6mm hole as the spline pattern was wrong, but that is an easy job. They look a million times better than the standard plastic ones. I went for the smaller diameter single knobs because standard 19mm diameter ones made it look cluttered.