Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

Interesting! Pretty good spec there - even compared to a Fender MM.... if they can deliver that quality for under £300 I will be amazed!

Not sure how much it will appeal to its target audience though. MM is not particularly well known among "young people", but then again does that matter? How many people notice the name on the headstock, especially when they are just starting off playing?

That's a pretty awesome "starter" bass, but it is till quite a lot more expensive than some of the cheaper Squiers and way more than the likes of J&D and Harley Benton - which are also damn good basses for the money.

Its a great time to be a bass player starting off. When I think of the [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] that was available back in the seventies for beginners... :o

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1420706964' post='2652262'] I imagine with the fairly unique preamp...
[/quote]

Not sure how unique it is (as the specs are not easy to find) but on the face of it it looks and sounds rather like the East J-Retro that is available as an aftermarket mod for the existing Fender MM bass.

I agree with Marcus that a midrange control on a bass (and especially on a J bass) is very useful indeed. That preamp looks a bit complex for a lot of beginners though - I've been playing 35 years and I found the East version just too much faff! :blush:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420724089' post='2652565']
I know I'm not the target audience for this but, the world needs another entry level bass?
[/quote]

Why not? There is plenty (maybe too much) choice and variety in the mid to high level market - why shouldn't beginners or cash-strapped players have choice?

To be fair though, other than the preamp I'm not sure there is much that is novel here - although the woods used for contruction seem to be good quality (assuming that the wood influences the tone, of course! ;) ).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420724089' post='2652565']
I know I'm not the target audience for this but, the world needs another entry level bass?
[/quote]
If these deliver on the early promise that they show, and I really hope they do, then this wont be just any old "another" entry level bass.

They look great...however the proof will be in the pudding

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1420652716' post='2651774']
Is this the end for the Fender MM bass?

Interesting, also have seen that Stu Hamm has now switched to Warwick from Washburn.
[/quote]

No, it's the other way round :)

I spy with my little eye - either just a mirrorred photo, "because it looked cool in the layout of the website", or they're doing a lefty version too. Can't share the damn photo though, because the whole page is one big bloody JPEG :huh:

Also some other weird photoshop quirks: above the "lefty" is a picture of a sunburst V7 with the bridge reversed, but above that is a picture of the very same bass with the bridge photoshopped on properly.

Edited by LeftyJ

The blond one looks very nice, and at a reasonable price.

I have to say I really dislike the headstock shape though.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1420747112' post='2653035']
but that has to be one of the most poorly crafted sites I've stumbled across. Put some effort in guys, some of us do pay attention, you know!
[/quote]

Exactly. The pages are just huge images (trying so hard to look like something Apple made) that don't even scale to fit on different sized screens. I'd love to meet the web developer that thinks an 8MB webpage is a good idea, the header image alone is over 1MB. Not to mention how horrible text images are for SEO.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1420763354' post='2653292']
i really hope Marcus doest dirty his name by making/endorsing a crap instrument
[/quote]

Why? Surely that's his prerogative?

Anyway, if he believes his own hype these are going to be pretty astounding basses for the money. How often does a proper pro put his (or her) name to a product that is designed from the outset to be affordable but good quality? B)

I'd say that he will probably enhance his reputation as a "good guy" if these basses deliver even [b][i]some[/i][/b] of what they promise. :)

I would imagine that the production costs of the raw material required for a large production line of F type basses would actually be extremely low (decent quality Alder/Ash/Rosewood).

Therefore, imo these basses will stand or fall by the quality of their fit & finish, electronics package and hardware

Maybe my priorities are slightly different from most other folk, but on the evidence we have seen and heard so far, these basses appear to be exactly what they are: another pair of fairly generic and uninspiring - sounding cheap basses, albeit played by Marcus Miller.

The Fender - style bass looks great, but sounds budget, even in Marcus Miller's hands. The other bass is self-consciously modern, and as such looks rather dated, paradoxically enough. I suppose these basses would be great for a beginner or for a bit of fun but there doesn't seem to be much to recommend either beyond their snappy looks. Reading between the lines, even Marcus doesn't appear that enthusiastic to me.

The next time some in- the- know muso starts giving you the " It's all in the fingers " routine, show them these vids. :)

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1421796192' post='2665260']
The Fender - style bass looks great, but sounds budget, even in Marcus Miller's hands.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree. I think they sound fine. Hard to judge from a youtube video though, but they sound pretty much like a Jazz bass to me...

Looking at the pickup positions though, the bridge pickup seems to be in a typical sixties placement - whereas in Marcus's original basses and his Fender signature models it is in the seventies position. Not sure how much difference that would actually make mind...