Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1488280307' post='3247441']
I can see the post with both neck's , but where does it actually say it's coming with a baseball necked P neck and an optional J neck rather than the other way round ?

It seems a touch daft , I dont want to buy an extra neck and If people wanted a PJ with a P neck when can pretty much get them anywhere , One with a J neck is a bit harder to come by.
[/quote]

Well, I want a P neck, so ner ner nerner neer... :P

actually what I'm really interested in is in a 5-string version, as long as it's not too heavy. I didn't care about the weight but lately I've been playing mostly relatively light basses and I love that.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1488280854' post='3247450']
I'm just bitter , i wanted a J neck without having to buy Two :-P
[/quote]

It sounds like the Jazz neck will be sold separately. Im hoping they wont cost too much as i quite fancy one for my Squier P bass.

Back to my issue with the thru body string holes in the bridge being at an absurd angle to the back of the saddle, if not partially beneath the saddle in the case of the E string. I have now heard back from Thomann. Customer support say Guitars say my problem arises from trying to intonate the bass with short scale XL 170 strings. As it clearly says Long Scale on the string pack someone doesn't know their arse from their elbow. They also patronisingly told me to find someone who knows how to intonate. I'd be grateful to hear from Fleabag and anyone else without V7/4 issues just how much clearance they have between the stringing holes and the saddle and what strings they're using.
Edit: Thomann now say they want the bass back for evaluation. That will take for ever and from what's said earlier this is a known issue. Agh, at the end of the day's its just a niggle.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1488447200' post='3248958']
Back to my issue with the thru body string holes in the bridge being at an absurd angle to the back of the saddle, if not partially beneath the saddle in the case of the E string. I have now heard back from Thomann. Customer support say Guitars say my problem arises from trying to intonate the bass with short scale XL 170 strings. As it clearly says Long Scale on the string pack someone doesn't know their arse from their elbow. They also patronisingly told me to find someone who knows how to intonate. I'd be grateful to hear from Fleabag and anyone else without V7/4 issues just how much clearance they have between the stringing holes and the saddle and what strings they're using.
Edit: Thomann now say they want the bass back for evaluation. That will take for ever and from what's said earlier this is a known issue. Agh, at the end of the day's its just a niggle.
[/quote]

It would take them all of 5 minutes to check with one of the basses they have in stock right now... not a great response from them, no. Although seeing that it looks like a design fault, and therefore something for the manufacturer, their only solution could be a replacement or refund. Do you want a refund?

I'd write to Sire. They seemed pretty good when they first came out, maybe you get lucky and they can send you another kind of bridge.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1488360200' post='3248147']
actually what I'm really interested in is in a 5-string version.
[/quote]

Ditto. I may not be able to contain my urges if such a beast comes into production. I'm sure it will look nice next to my V7 5 string....

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1488447200' post='3248958']
[/quote] I think i would send it back if you can't get the intonation sorted without covering the string through holes as this isnt something that i have heard of elsewhere ,then again if you are never going to use string through option ,then no point really...

This is a dilemma. If its a design fault, and it might be an isolated one at best, then you need to decide if you really need string through body, at the expense of losing a good bass.

It sounds silly that it doesn't work as advertised, but in my experience string through body is not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1488475017' post='3249302']
Ditto. I may not be able to contain my urges if such a beast comes into production. I'm sure it will look nice next to my V7 5 string....
[/quote]
Double ditto. If they bring them out in the same configurations/finishes as the V7s, I'm going to be in all sorts of trouble. :blink:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1488485445' post='3249437']
This is a dilemma. If its a design fault, and it might be an isolated one at best, then you need to decide if you really need string through body, at the expense of losing a good bass.

It sounds silly that it doesn't work as advertised, but in my experience string through body is not a deal breaker.
[/quote]

Bass Guitar magazine asked this question of a number of top luthiers : does through stringing make a difference?

They all said "no. What matters is the 2 break angles, at the nut and bridge. Nothing else matters".

i need a little advice. Im interested in the V7 5, but I'm worried about he weight. Where is it best to order them from.? also are they made in Indonesia or china now.? i understand you can order them direct from Sire or from Thomman.?

Edited by bubinga5

The V7 fiver weighs a shade over 10lbs. You can shave 1/2lb off that by fitting lightweight tuners as one or two of us here have done (I think).
Mine says it was made in Indonesia. I believe they still are. Certainly no build issues with mine.
You can order direct from Sire in the US if you want to take the hit on tax and duty. What with the [bittersarcasm] recent fantastic performance of our glorious national currency [/bittersarcasm] I very much doubt there's any saving to be made by going direct to Sire.
As far as Europe are concerned, it's either Thomann in Germany or [url="https://www.strumentimusicali.net/default.php/manufacturers_id/609/Marcus-Miller-by-Sire.html"]Strumenti Musicali in Italy[/url]. But they're both the same price.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1488969220' post='3253291']
The V7 fiver weighs a shade over 10lbs. You can shave 1/2lb off that by fitting lightweight tuners as one or two of us here have done (I think).
Mine says it was made in Indonesia. I believe they still are. Certainly no build issues with mine.
You can order direct from Sire in the US if you want to take the hit on tax and duty. What with the [bittersarcasm] recent fantastic performance of our glorious national currency [/bittersarcasm] I very much doubt there's any saving to be made by going direct to Sire.
As far as Europe are concerned, it's either Thomann in Germany or [url="https://www.strumentimusicali.net/default.php/manufacturers_id/609/Marcus-Miller-by-Sire.html"]Strumenti Musicali in Italy[/url]. But they're both the same price.
[/quote]Ok. Thanks Rich.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1488969220' post='3253291']
[/quote] Is the alder body version not lighter than the ash ?

• 2 months later...

Seriously thinking of selling my Am Syd Jazz and getting one of these. Only concern is the necks - are they thin? Thick? As comfy, more come or less comfy to play than a Jazz? This is the problem with mail ordering a bass. Spose now that Andertons do them I can send it straight back if it doesn't feel good.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1497180060' post='3316301']
Seriously thinking of selling my Am Syd Jazz and getting one of these. Only concern is the necks - are they thin? Thick? As comfy, more come or less comfy to play than a Jazz? This is the problem with mail ordering a bass. Spose now that Andertons do them I can send it straight back if it doesn't feel good.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was going to post this question as well.
Although Ive got the 5 string I'd like to get the 4 string as well. To me the necks look chunky (for a jazz neck) but that could be to do with the blocks and binding.
I really like the tone of my 5 string but don't need the extra string, so want to replace my Squier CV jazz, which Ive been playing a lot lately. I'm sure I won't have any issues with the 4 string neck, but was going to ask, as my CV jazz neck is the most perfect neck Ive every used so I was wiondering how close the Sire might be.
Also has anyone changed the bridge on the 4 string? I noticed the string spacing is 20mm, but all my other bases have a Gotoh 201 which is 19mm and a bit more comfortable. Was also thinking I'd put one of these on the Sire if it fits.

Just got my Alder body 5 string the other day and love it. So much! Its an absolutely beautiful instrument to look at but feels & sounds really amazing. Haven't had time to set it up yet but been playing it as it came and its very playable.
It is heavy! Its heavier than my Fender P. I bought it a mono strap though and it really helped. I'm gonna be rehearsing and gigging with it later this month so I'll have more to say after that. First impressions with it from home are very very positive. Great sound. Great!