Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1458585071' post='3008869']
What mods if any have people done to these basses? Also how are the B strings on the 5ers?
[/quote]

I've replaced the stock pickups with a set of Nordstrand NJ5FS.

Couldn't be doing with the noise of the single coils after years of using EMG equipped basses. Did a couple of functions gigs where the environment was quite noisy and knew I couldn't live with that. I know that's what you get when you get a Jazz bass but no, not for me.

The Nordy's are amazing. Not only gone with the noise, they're just so much tighter, refined, together. Made a great bass greater. Considering the cost of the guitar, I've not got a problem spending the extra.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1458593828' post='3008989']
I've replaced the stock pickups with a set of Nordstrand NJ5FS.

Couldn't be doing with the noise of the single coils after years of using EMG equipped basses. Did a couple of functions gigs where the environment was quite noisy and knew I couldn't live with that. I know that's what you get when you get a Jazz bass but no, not for me.

The Nordy's are amazing. Not only gone with the noise, they're just so much tighter, refined, together. Made a great bass greater. Considering the cost of the guitar, I've not got a problem spending the extra.
[/quote]
What about the pre-amp? Have you kept that stock, is there much room under the hood to fit something else?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I said above -- if you take out the existing preamp, you're left with what is effectively a knobless passive Jazz bass that happens to have a battery box (well, 2) already fitted. In theory, it will take any preamp that will fit in a standard Jazz cavity.

It's pretty much an all in house design and spec bass. Sire don't really buy in off the shelf parts, from what they've said.

For example, from looking at the pickguard, I doubt there are many replacement pgs that'll fit without a bit of fettling. The neck plate is standard :)

From the thread on TalkBass, modding these basses is rare.

Just put this bugger through an amp and i think im just going to ditch all my fx the tone is what i have wanted for about 20 years,amazing,the hype is real,its just made me want to get good again after 6 years,its like stepping into a roller after a fiesta.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462180078' post='3040773']
As I said above -- if you take out the existing preamp, you're left with what is effectively a knobless passive Jazz bass that happens to have a battery box (well, 2) already fitted. In theory, it will take any preamp that will fit in a standard Jazz cavity.
[/quote]

Thanks for that.

I guess I need to play round with the EQ a bit more. I noticed quite a big quality jump in overall tone and sound when on a gig playing between this and my USA Fender Jazz select active 4 string. It might be cheaper to go out and get a sadowsy preamp pedal and play the Sire in passive mode. I'm not saying the preamp isn't good, just couldn't really dial in a tone I was completely happy with.

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1462227522' post='3041353']
Thanks for that.

I guess I need to play round with the EQ a bit more. I noticed quite a big quality jump in overall tone and sound when on a gig playing between this and my USA Fender Jazz select active 4 string. It might be cheaper to go out and get a sadowsy preamp pedal and play the Sire in passive mode. I'm not saying the preamp isn't good, just couldn't really dial in a tone I was completely happy with.
[/quote]

There's a little gain dial inside the bass on the preamp board, dialing it in and out should get you to your required sweet spot.

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1461107583' post='3031603']
preorders for M7 are open, btw :ph34r:
[/quote]
That is a lovely looking bass, I'm so impressed with my V7 for the price, it's very tempting to add a M7 to the flock!

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1462228392' post='3041364']

Wow,really? I'll have a look then. Cheers for that.

There's a little gain dial inside the bass on the preamp board, dialing it in and out should get you to your required sweet spot.
[/quote]

I cant sing the praises of my v7 highly enough it just keeps getting better the more i play it and for some reason i dont need to change the strings as often
i think its partly to do with the ash body but on my alder fender jazz they sound dead much quicker !

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1462283937' post='3041736']
So, as I'm sure there are people who own both, how do these compare to an actual Fender, an American, not Mexican?

I imagine not as good, but by what factor?
[/quote]

Don't own a Sire, but I've got a Japanese Fender Marcus, and A/Bd it to a natural ash/maple Sire at one of the BC bashes. The Sire was a leftie, so kind of hard to judge the playability, but the quality was there. Felt a tiniest bit rougher around the edges (still good for a mass-produced bass, mind) when it comes to fretwork, nut ect - but then my Fender is 10 years old, had the nut swapped to brass, frets dressed recently and over the years I perfected setting it up for it to play itself. When it comes to the woodwork, fit&finish, components, all was good. I'm planning to get a fretless and a M7 later this year.

I also played a 5-string version unplugged for a couple of minutes at a jam session, a guy brought it, and everyone was impressed, including players with expensive custom axes and even a maker of such. On stage the owner sounded as good as everybody else.

I have a m.i.j. fender jazz with john east pre and its not better i.m.o. it is different however ,i would say the v7 is more punchy and has more mids present
i find it cuts through the mix better but is still much closer to a jazz than a stingray type bass its my number one bass for funky stuff .. i still prefer the fender for reggae and oldschool stuff more.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought Freddie75's V7 5 string & am extremely happy with it. Great build, easy playability & I am loving the sound. Unbelievable bass for the money. Squier & MiM Jazz's are now irrelevant aren't they.....?!?

Edited by Wilco

Not been on here for years so apologies if this has already been discussed but what is the general view of the weight of these? I recently bought a Fretless 5 (swamp ash). Great tone and playability but blimey its heavy! Not an issue as I'll only be using on the odd track / session but I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a fretted 5 and that will get more use. Has anyone else had issues with the weight of these or is mine a one off? Also, will an Alder one likely to be lighter than swamp ash?

Edited by JD1

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1466598670' post='3077089']
Not been on here for years so apologies if this has already been discussed but what is the general view of the weight of these? I recently bought a Fretless 5 (swamp ash). Great tone and playability but blimey its heavy! Not an issue as I'll only be using on the odd track / session but I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a fretted 5 and that will get more use. Has anyone else had issues with the weight of these or is mine a one off? Also, will an Alder one likely to be lighter than swamp ash?
[/quote]

Well mine is 10.1lbs. My Fender is 7.8lbs. Although i dont mind the weight at a gig, i find the biggest pain is actually carrying it to the gig.